Thread: Original model 5 pistol power ?

Original model 5 pistol power ?

Hi all
    I have an original model 5 pistol in .22
    Can anyone tell me what the expected power should be, mine is only doing 250 fps with aa 16g and 278fps with the old marksman pellets around 2ft1bs ?
    I have just fitted a second piston seal from Knibbs which do seem bit slack in the bore, seal is same size as bore 25mm !

I have never found the Model 5 to be impressive in power. Probably the max you would get is just over 3 ft.lb. The huge tubular spacer they put in takes away a lot of spring space. I have always preferred the model 6 in .177, which surprisingly, with the balance piston taking up a lot of swept volume, can get well over 3 ft.lb.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I had one years ago, actually it was a Diana Model 5, beautifully made with the stippled wooden grips. But the bore (.177) was so tight, it was difficult to find pellets that worked well with the relatively little power available. The gun internals were all in good shape, and RWS Meisterkugeln wouldn't even leave the barrel.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by smoothbore View Post
    Hi all
    I have an original model 5 pistol in .22
    Can anyone tell me what the expected power should be, mine is only doing 250 fps with aa 16g and 278fps with the old marksman pellets around 2ft1bs ?
    I have just fitted a second piston seal from Knibbs which do seem bit slack in the bore, seal is same size as bore 25mm !
    The model 5 should be a low-to-mid 400’s gun in .177.

The advantage of the model 6 in my opinion, is less due to extra swept volume, than the much greater momentum of the double-piston mechanism. No energy wasted by the dreaded “piston bounce” with that pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    The model 5 should be a low-to-mid 400’s gun in .177.

The advantage of the model 6 in my opinion, is less due to extra swept volume, than the much greater momentum of the double-piston mechanism. No energy wasted by the dreaded “piston bounce” with that pistol!
    Tests I’ve seen suggest, in .177”, more like high 300s to around 400 with sensible pellets like Hobbys. That works out to around 2.5 ft-lbs. which is surprisingly low for a pretty fair sized pistol. 2.1 ft-lbs in .22” is definitely a bit low.

Beeman ads in the 70s said “420 fps” in .177” and Dr Bob was not known for understatement.

That’s a really interesting idea on the 6. I could never work out how it seems to shoot as hard as the 5 with all that extra stuff inside.

I have a pre war Diana mod 5,
    after soaking the leather piston seal a bit in neatsfoot and putting a spacer behind the breech seal it’s doing a healthy 3ftlbs with jsb express.

Lovely old pistol

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    That really is pathetic, you must be able to fire the pistol, run towards the target and catch the .22 pellet before it bounces off the card.

There must be something wrong with the transfer port, I can't remember the 5 being specially easy to cock.

Has it got an over-wide one or does it do that awful Diana thing of running up a slope?

Get a BSA Scorpion!

My experience with the mod 5 in .22 they average around 3.5ftb and they shoot lovely at that power level and are very accurate

smoothore,

While not 0.22", I have just chrono'ed my 1948 0.177" Original Model 5, and my 1978 Diana Model 5G with RWS R10 Pistol pellets (6.99 gr.) :

1948 Mod 5 - 450.4 fps / 3.15 ft.lb

1978 Mod 5G - 486.5 fps / 3.66 ft.lb

So, with a 0.22", you could expect at least 3.2 ft.lb ?

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

I have 3 original mod 5's in .177 just over 3ftb my .22 job doing around 3.5ftb which is the norm if everything's in good order spring, seals etc they are a great sporting pistol with a nice trigger and very good accuracy.

Dave.