Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
Very interesting replies ... thank you. And in case you were wondering, I am not in the market for such a rifle myself at the moment. But on reflection, maybe my 'grand' limit was a bit low; even though I did say £1000+.
The replies are, however, interesting as a general reflection of the niceties of springers. Neil started the ball rolling with a Prosport to get diy treatment and this was chosen again by several others. Maybe this was a case of 'follow the leader' but even so it is interesting as the PS is not a rifle you hear a lot about as it seems to lose out to its bed fellow the TX when it comes to competition and hunting. The 97 had 2 votes followed by a sprinkling of other models with one vote each. OK, not a scientific or comprehensive ballot. The thread was not really intended to be a ballot but is none the worse for it. But interesting all the same, especially as I rate the PS just about the best looking springer 'out of the box'. Out of interest I looked up the cost of a new one and the going rate seems to be £669 for walnut, less for beech. Add a stock upgrade (£250 - £300?) and a tuning kit or tuning service and you are up to c. £1200? I had forgotten the Whiscombe. I wonder if a similar rifle was introduced it would sell?

Cheers, Phil
Interesting comments Phil, my commnet regard 124 / 127 are purely because of my age and affection for the rifle (I have a 127 currently in standard trim)