Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Model HW30S K - Buyer Beware!

New Model HW30S K - Buyer Beware!

I just bought one of the new HW30S K rifles that has a 1/2” UNF threaded muzzle and it seems the ‘K’ model is still only available in kit form with scope attached.

The dealer ordered two, one for me and one for his stock and a good job he did! Although the barrel is threaded, the muzzle weight appears to be Locktighted in place and it took three of us taking it in turn to finally remove one, but we couldn’t remove the weight from the other rifle as it was locked solid.

Also, the kit version is not securely packaged. Basically it comes in a big but flimsy cellophane faced box that would be better suited to packaging a Barbie doll. Consequently one of the stocks was dinged and one of the scopes broken. Fortunately, because the dealer ordered two rifles and we were able to mix and match parts to build a functional and undamaged rifle.

Buyer beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    I just bought one of the new HW30S K rifles that has a 1/2” UNF threaded muzzle and it seems the ‘K’ model is still only available in kit form with scope attached.

The dealer ordered two, one for me and one for his stock and a good job he did! Although the barrel is threaded, the muzzle weight appears to be Locktighted in place and it took three of us taking it in turn to finally remove one, but we couldn’t remove the weight from the other rifle as it was locked solid.

Also, the kit version is not securely packaged. Basically it comes in a big but flimsy cellophane faced box that would be better suited to packaging a Barbie doll. Consequently one of the stocks was dinged and one of the scopes broken. Fortunately, because the dealer ordered two rifles and we were able to mix and match parts to build a functional and undamaged rifle.

Buyer beware!
    I've had a couple of the Kit variants and you are correct, the packaging does leave a lot to be desired. I do get the idea of it being a "presentation" thing but an outer box of something more substantial would not go amiss if only for transit to the RFD.

By the way, do you have a link or photo please of the newer/latest model that you have bought? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    By the way, do you have a link or photo please of the newer/latest model that you have bought? Thanks.
    I'm still struggling with photo uploads, but I’ll try tomorrow.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I never knew the kit version was threaded underneath!
    Master Debater

If You buy at Sportwaffen Schneider I can confirm that the silencer is not locktighted.
    Unfortunately they only sell it as an expensive kit with a black stock in 6 ftlbs and a extra
    horrible 4x32 RWS scope with super tiny FOV.

On the older HW30/RWS sets You could only remove the muzzle weight by heating it but the
    shorter barrel wasn't threaded.

Why produces Weihrauch a threaded barrel which is then sticky.
    Why do I have to buy the HW30S in a kit with components I don't like?
    Why is Weihrauch still producing the MII trigger as for only 10 € more I can buy the Rekord trigger?

I am a big fan of Weihrauch airguns and own several of them but sometimes their sales strategy
    makes me shake my old head.

I'm still struggling with photo uploads, but I’ll try tomorrow.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I never knew the kit version was threaded underneath!
    Me neither, all I can see on mine is a small screw underneath the weight but I've never bothered to remove it and check what's going on at the end of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Me neither, all I can see on mine is a small screw underneath the weight but I've never bothered to remove it and check what's going on at the end of the barrel.
    The screwcut version is new, all future Hull Cartridge imports of the ‘K’ model will be 1/2” UNF.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftgewehr100 View Post
    Why is Weihrauch still producing the MII trigger as for only 10 € more I can buy the Rekord trigger?
    I would guess it’s because they sell enough of the base model to make economic sense to keep making them. I can imagine that (perhaps especially in Germany?) there are buyers who want a quality German gun, but don’t understand triggers very well and so buy the cheaper version.

Hi Portzy, if I've done it right, photo should be visible below.

To give an idea of scale, that's a Hawke 2-7x32 AO scope on top. I've removed the muzzle weight and replaced it with a Deben Whisper 180 silencer, basically the same as an HW silencer, but no white etched text on the side. I've also removed the HW trigger and guard, replacing them with black anodised Rowan Engineering extra set back trigger and guard. Just waiting on the custom stock now!

Lovely little rifle to shoot, cocks smooth as silk and zeroed easily, also more powerful than I imagined it would be. I don't have a chrono, but at 30 yards penetration against plinking targets is not far off my 12ft lbs rifles.

I've read a few posts where guys complain the rifle 'galls' on cocking. I don't know what galling is, but so far no problems cocking this rifle and the cocking mechanism looks the same as my HW80K.

Im thinking about getting one for keeping in the kitchen.

Then mr rat will be doomed when he raids the bird feeders.
    Master Debater

Is it .22 or .177 ??
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Is it .22 or .177 ??
    It's .177

I bought this primarily for rat shooting in a historical Kent barn where 12ft lbs is too much, but a 6ft lbs pistol isn't accurate enough, so the HW30S seems the way to go.

Hi Portzy, if I've done it right, photo should be visible below.

To give an idea of scale, that's a Hawke 2-7x32 AO scope on top. I've removed the muzzle weight and replaced it with a Deben Whisper 180 silencer, basically the same as an HW silencer, but no white etched text on the side. I've also removed the HW trigger and guard, replacing them with black anodised Rowan Engineering extra set back trigger and guard. Just waiting on the custom stock now!

Yes, all fine and dandy, looks good!

I feel another 30K itch coming on