Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sort of price should I expect to pay for an AA s400 service

What sort of price should I expect to pay for an AA s400 service

Spoke to a shop last week about servicing my s400 I.e changing all o rings and seals and they quoted me £150 that also includes chrono test...... does this price sound about right or abit steep?

Also spoke to them about rebluing the cylinder and barrel as they had been neglected before I got the rifle however they think it will be cheaper to just replace both the cylinder and barrel what do you lads think about this?

Many thanks

£150 to service a 400 they are a very simple rifle to work on, assuming it's pre AT, so it sounds expensive to me.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I would say £150 to service an unregulated PCP is very high. I would certainly have expected less than £100. I agree with Trumpetier, they are a very easy rifle to work on

Assuming nothing is broken, and the AT has been removed it's about 1 hour's work and less than £5 worth of materials. If the firing valve needs replacing (not a bad idea anyway) add a tenner. A cylinder is about £40 and a barrel £130.

Alan
    Last edited by Archer50; 09-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.

as mentioned above sounds an awful lot to charge for a service. Does it actually need a service? holding air ok , shooting ok? can you put it over a chrono at all to see what its shooting at and at what consictency .
    rgds
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    Assuming nothing is broken, and the AT has been removed it's about 1 hour's work and less than £5 worth of materials. If the firing valve needs replacing (not a bad idea anyway) add a tenner. A cylinder is about £40 and a barrel £130.

Alan
    Exactly so easy to work on, if they had to remove the AT that would only be an extra half hour or so....but.... is it causing problems, got a leak or whatever? because if it isn't can't see the point of a "service".
    Might as well wait until it has to be stripped for reblueing or replacement, cost me £45 for a new carbine cylinder earlier this year just before Debens took over so probably dearer now.

If it's working OK and not leaking then leave well alone. There is nothing that a service can do that will improve it. You just risk something going amiss and you fork out hard earned cash.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

All my pcp servicing and work in general,is done by dm80, Dave mercer, based in farworth. His prices would laugh at your quote, don't pay it. Not sure about the blueing but sure it would be cheaper than replacing.

Servicing

I also use Dave mercer for repairs, servicing as do several club members.

A general service on a S400 reseal and set up etc even at gunshop shouldn't cost more than around £85 your quote of £150 is way over the top.

Dave.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

He does all my servicing and repairs. If Dave says 'around £85' then thats what it SHOULD be.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Sounds like they don't want the bother of doing it so have given a high price rather than just say NO.

gun shop or smith

are you going to name and shame ?

I believe AA will service your rifle at the factory. Not sure on the price.
    FX Cyclone .22 + Hawke Sidewinder30 4-16x50 (SR6)

S410 .22 serviced by A/A came back with new cylinder and pot, £128 for complete service, but as said, they aren't that hard to work on, and if the anti tamper wasn't in it, it will be when it comes back