Thread: Is there a mechanically perfect springer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For me the Diana 65/66 is the closest I've got to the mechanicallly perfect springer. Really shocks people when they try it for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    For me the Diana 65/66 is the closest I've got to the mechanicallly perfect springer. Really shocks people when they try it for the first time
    +1 to that.
    Got to love the Giss system!
    The rear piston's momentum just about eliminates the front piston's bounce via the rack and pinion. It also delivers a perfectly timed rearward thump to the cylinder's end-cap to counter act the front piston's forward thump as it hits the bottom of the cylinder.
    Brilliant!

A close second would be the Anschutz Mod 220.
    Superb modular trigger, self adjusting spring guide, pneumatic recoil damper, two counter-wound springs, fixed barrel, pellet loading aid, can be dismantled using just a screw driver.

What is more impressive is that both were produced in the early 1960's.

Long answer:

Match rifles: not a proper match shooter, but always loved the Giss system Dianas. On the other hand, FWB300S is great too, and won all the medals.

Sporters. The basic problem is that most U.K.-market guns since the 70s and 80s have been “de-tuned” to stay under 12 ft-lbs, while designed for a bit more.

Custom stuff, yes, Venom Mach1/2. And KT specials.

Factory:

- HW77 25mm internals. Probably a 14 ft-lbs gun, but still great at 12.
    - TX200 Mk1, as above.
    - Longbow. Just nice. Don’t over rate it. Fundamentally a Venom cross between a Vulcan and a Mach1, mass- produced and smaller. But nice.
    - Tomahawk (see above, re Longbow) in either FAC (18-21 ft-kbs) or factory short-stroke 12 ft-lbs model.
    - HW80. Best at 16-18? Can apparently be made very good at sub-12. But still a big old lumpy thing.
    - HW85/95 (esp early), ditto, but lighter. Still a 14 ft-lbs gun, really.
    - HW99S if issues fixed, annoyingly good at 12.
    - FWB 124/127. Trigger, safety and breech lock up issues, but silly easy to cock and silly accurate. Proven in the field and early FT. Again, a fourteen foot-pounder still very good at sub-12.
    - Diana 48/52. Not great at 11 ft-lbs. Apparently very very good at it’s designed 18-22 levels.

Short answer:

They are all compromises. With the possible exception of Venom, perfection has never been achieved. And probably cannot because of different laws and market preferences.

For the avoidance of doubt, my ideal springer at 12 ft-lbs or so would be a 22mm cylinder long-stroke late-model (LW barrel) Webley Tomahawk with a Venom trigger and a resettable safety catch, preferably ambidextrous. In walnut.

Which is basically the mythical unicorn Air Arms break-barrel that at least 63 people on here have been lobbying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt, my ideal springer at 12 ft-lbs or so would be a 22mm cylinder long-stroke late-model (LW barrel) Webley Tomahawk with a Venom trigger and a resettable safety catch, preferably ambidextrous. In walnut.

Which is basically the mythical unicorn Air Arms break-barrel that at least 63 people on here have been lobbying for.
    Shooting my Tomahawk again at the weekend, it really is the nicest full power break barrel I’ve ever shot.

Off a bag rest at 40 yards it’s very very impressive. Re the OP’s question, I couldn’t say it’s mechanically perfect, but it’s the closest I’ve had in a ‘normal’ sporter springer.

10m guns are another issue, I have a squishy spot for my original 75, which must be a contender for mechanically perfect mantle in its class.

There is no such thing as a "good" springer, let alone a mechanically perfect one!

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    There is no such thing as a "good" springer, let alone a mechanically perfect one!
    Contact, front! Break contact!