Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tin Cans/T-Rex for Rifle Plinking?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Tin Cans/T-Rex for Rifle Plinking?

Does anyone actually shoot at tin cans any more? The rifle/pellet/scope combos have got so accurate that I would be surprised if they did. Maybe people with old BSA Cadets. The cans are not the sturdy steel ones from the 70s that we used to use, they can hardly move some times as the pellet zips through both sides.

I recently got some toy plastic dinosaurs from Asda, I tried a headshot on one and it spun away, like in real life it had been hit with a 20mm Bofors projectile. But I could not see the impression of the pellet so I thought I would stop as it's possibly a richochet hazard. How do you tell if all the energy is killed by, say, a plastic dinosaur?

If all the energy had been dumped the pellet would be laying somewhere close by because with no energy it would stop dead.

Some of the baked bean cans are still quite robust and will take a heck of a lot of punishment. I fill them with sand occasionally and rotate after every few shots....sometimes I will rotate the cans as well!
    Jim

Proper tin cans and old aerosol cans are still fun for long range plinking 👍

All of the above.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    old 12 bore carts are perfect.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

For back garden use (I could just about muster up about 14 yards), tiny marks on paper are usually the order of the day for me, but I'd certainly consider some of the small sweets. TicTacs should be interesting at close range. And can't disagree with JB's empty shotgun shells for longer range. Used to use them many years ago to good, fun effect.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    old 12 bore carts are perfect.
    +1 for me great fun

Not tin cans, shooting the nozzles off aerosols is good though.

My favourite is .22 blanks stuck into a spinner at 30-40yds. For me, that is a good test as I can, but not always, hit them - no fun if you can't hit the target.

Benchrest is my enjoyment. Stick 5mm paper dots to or spray paint dots on the backstop, when you hit them they disappear.

I'm setting up a 100-120yd range in the garden, any ideas for targets?

And can't disagree with JB's empty shotgun shells for longer range. Used to use them many years ago to good, fun effect.[/QUOTE]

Who said they were empty, Tony?!! 🧨🧂⚡️ 🤣🤣🤣

Paint balls perched on golf tees are great for plinking albeit a bit messy!😎

A bit like Tony L, I am a saddo who likes groups on paper.

That said, assuming a safe backstop, a small stack of soft drink or beer cans, end on, at 6-10M is good fun with a CO2 repeater pellet pistol like a CP88 or 586.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Not tin cans, shooting the nozzles off aerosols is good though.

My favourite is .22 blanks stuck into a spinner at 30-40yds. For me, that is a good test as I can, but not always, hit them - no fun if you can't hit the target.

Benchrest is my enjoyment. Stick 5mm paper dots to or spray paint dots on the backstop, when you hit them they disappear.

1. I used to do the same with blanks when I lived in the middle of the middle of nowhere in Suffolk. Fun targets (as were aerosols placed next to candles, or aerosols with .22” blanks taped to them). If I tried that now in London it would be about five minutes or less before CO19 turned up pointing multiple G36Ks at my head. And the sniper in the helicopter.

2. 120 yards? Sigh. I wish.

Someone gave me a giant beer can the other week, party keg. I'm saving that for 100 yards because it'll be too easy to hit at any closer range.

Hang up some water balloons 👍

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Proper tin cans and old aerosol cans are still fun for long range plinking 👍
    I get through a lot of aerosol cans at work white/red/yellow line markers and when they’re finished with they get collected by a disposal company...

The bonus being they need to be punctured before being bagged up ready for collection...

Bet you can’t guess how they get punctured...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

I still like plinking with tin cans