Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
If this is not the place to ask, forgive me ... optically centering. I believe this is where the reticle image is positioned at the central axis of the scope body and hence hopefully at the centre of the lens system? I can accept that this could be at the point where the adjusters, up/down, side to side are in the mid positions; but that this may not be so.... but should not be far off.
Now, you optically centre the scope then mount it and proceed to zero it. You do this by twiddling the adjusters up/down, side to side. So you are moving the aim point away from the optical centre. So why could this not be done without the process of optically centreing? Or should you optically centre a scope and then adjust poi by using adjustable mounts.
Or am I missing the point?? Much as I miss the target?? I have never optically centred a scope ... am I missing out on something?
I guess I am just being daft but would welcome enlightenment (no pun intended).
Cheers, Phil
I've been reading this post with interest, you learn something new everyday & I hadn't heard of it before. Sounds handy for a quick check that everything is moving ok & working order before you go through the hassle of mounting a scope or when you get a problem to either confirm or remove the is my scope faulty question.