Thread: What BSA have I got??

What BSA have I got??

Hello Chaps
    I have just got myself a very nice BSA under lever, from a nice man at the Kempton fair.
    I think it is a Light pattern model in .177 cal.
    Total length is 40" and barrel length is 16 3/4" ,serial no is A1021.The BSA emblem is in the chequered grip.
    Any info on my gun would be much appreciated .
    Kind regards
    Les..
    Last edited by les allam; 11-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Bsa

Hi Les,

It sounds to me that you have got what they call an 'A' Series. These were the very last of the BSA Light Patterns (1930s in date I think). There will be people on here who know far more than me abut them but, as I understand it, the A series variant of the Light Pattern is a reasonably rare model.

I should add that they are a cracking gun - I have a soft spot for the light patterns!

Best

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinww1 View Post
    Hi Les,

It sounds to me that you have got what they call an 'A' Series. These were the very last of the BSA Light Patterns (1930s in date I think). There will be people on here who know far more than me abut them but, as I understand it, the A series variant of the Light Pattern is a reasonably rare model.

I should add that they are a cracking gun - I have a soft spot for the light patterns!

Best

Olly
    Hi Olly
    Thanks for the info mate .
    I am well pleased with the gun and it's bob on regarding shooting manners and accuracy, I am looking forward to a bit of bell target shooting with it.
    Atb
    Les..

According to Dennis Hiller yours was produced in 1936, fairly rare due to low production figures. Should have pressed steel trigger guard and one hole trigger block.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    According to Dennis Hiller yours was produced in 1936, fairly rare due to low production figures. Should have pressed steel trigger guard and one hole trigger block.

Baz
    Hi Baz
    Thanks for your advice , and yes it does have the pressed steel trigger guard and one hole trigger block.
    Regards
    Les..

Yup a BSA A series. Like people have said, the A series were made in the final years of the Lincoln Jeffries design BSA rifles. From 1936 to 1939, Not many were made in the three years so they are quite rare. Great air rifles and will last forever since they are built like tanks!

I have the rear end of a A series (from the trigger block back + stock), it is stamped A818 came to me in a box of bits, Too bad I dont have the rest of it since they bits I have are in very good condition

Like people have already said you have the last incarnation of the 39" .177 (NO.1 bore) BSA Standard in the light pattern. It will have the angular pistolgrip walnut stock, with the letters BSA raised within the checkering on the pistol grip.

In my opinion, they are not quite as good as the earlier 1920's light patterns, as certain cost cutting measures were introduced in the 1933- 1939 production. The underleaver pivot is a pin, and not a threaded bolt like the earlier production. Also they did away with the trigger adjustment within the trigger block, and reverted back to the pre-WW1 method of trigger adjustment with a set screw through the bend at the front of the trigger guard. The seperate trigger and tumbler sear were also sacrificed for a one piece trigger, which again was a backward step.

Most of these changes were brought in to reduce the costs of production, and still allowed BSA to produce a good gun. Around 770 were produced ( according to John Knibb's book " The Golden Century" ) however because serial numbering was concurrent with other models being produced at the same time, it is possible to find 'A' pattern guns with serial numbers in the high 2000's.

They are sweet to shoot, and capable of fine groups once you get used to the gun and master their shooting cycle. Most guns would benefit from a strip down, re-lube and barrel deep clean, as they are getting on for 90 years old. You can improve the balance of these guns, by adding weight in the stock. Some fishing weight wrapped in cloth and put into the hole in the stock ( for the stock bolt) , will reduce the muzzle heavy feel, but be very careful removing the wooden cover plate, as they are very easily broken. ( they have a spring steel washer behind them, which is designed to gently raise the cover as the screws are loosened, but few work as they should) If the trigger block is loose on the stock it can be tightened at this point with a long flat blade screwdriver.

Have fun with your new gun

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Yup a BSA A series. Like people have said, the A series were made in the final years of the Lincoln Jeffries design BSA rifles. From 1936 to 1939, Not many were made in the three years so they are quite rare. Great air rifles and will last forever since they are built like tanks!

I have the rear end of a A series (from the trigger block back + stock), it is stamped A818 came to me in a box of bits, Too bad I dont have the rest of it since they bits I have are in very good condition
    Thanks for the info Sir
    Atb
    Les..

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Hi Les.
    I'm glad to hear that you came away with a smile and a nice BSA that you're well pleased with; this is only the start of the downward spiral of collecting pre-war air rifles, be warned!
    My own search at Kempton for an earlier model BSA/Lincoln Jeffries (about 1906) came to nothing, as the ones I could afford had too many issues (barrels with saw cuts, badly cracked stocks and sheared bolts).
    It was nice to bump into you there; see you again at the April Bash no doubt.
    Best regards, Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Like people have already said you have the last incarnation of the 39" .177 (NO.1 bore) BSA Standard in the light pattern. It will have the angular pistolgrip walnut stock, with the letters BSA raised within the checkering on the pistol grip.

In my opinion, they are not quite as good as the earlier 1920's light patterns, as certain cost cutting measures were introduced in the 1933- 1939 production. The underleaver pivot is a pin, and not a threaded bolt like the earlier production. Also they did away with the trigger adjustment within the trigger block, and reverted back to the pre-WW1 method of trigger adjustment with a set screw through the bend at the front of the trigger guard. The seperate trigger and tumbler sear were also sacrificed for a one piece trigger, which again was a backward step.

Most of these changes were brought in to reduce the costs of production, and still allowed BSA to produce a good gun. Around 770 were produced ( according to John Knibb's book " The Golden Century" ) however because serial numbering was concurrent with other models being produced at the same time, it is possible to find 'A' pattern guns with serial numbers in the high 2000's.

They are sweet to shoot, and capable of fine groups once you get used to the gun and master their shooting cycle. Most guns would benefit from a strip down, re-lube and barrel deep clean, as they are getting on for 90 years old. You can improve the balance of these guns, by adding weight in the stock. Some fishing weight wrapped in cloth and put into the hole in the stock ( for the stock bolt) , will reduce the muzzle heavy feel, but be very careful removing the wooden cover plate, as they are very easily broken. ( they have a spring steel washer behind them, which is designed to gently raise the cover as the screws are loosened, but few work as they should) If the trigger block is loose on the stock it can be tightened at this point with a long flat blade screwdriver.

Have fun with your new gun

Lakey
    Hi Lakey
    Thank you for the info and advice regarding my Bsa .
    It was most informative and much appreciated.
    The gun is a real pleasure to shoot with ,I also have a LJ pattern Bsa with the Bayonet type underlever. This gun is a bit longer in the cylinder,the barrel is 2 1/2" longer and the stock as 14 1/4" stamped behind the pistol grip. Serial no 16261 I think it is from the year 1906.I need to sort out the trigger sear spring(it's like a hair trigger).
    I really rate these vintage Bsa guns.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    Hi Les.
    I'm glad to hear that you came away with a smile and a nice BSA that you're well pleased with; this is only the start of the downward spiral of collecting pre-war air rifles, be warned!
    My own search at Kempton for an earlier model BSA/Lincoln Jeffries (about 1906) came to nothing, as the ones I could afford had too many issues (barrels with saw cuts, badly cracked stocks and sheared bolts).
    It was nice to bump into you there; see you again at the April Bash no doubt.
    Best regards, Clogger
    Hi Clogger
    I am well pleased with my new bsa,It's a shame that you didn't find some thing that you would be happy with.There was plenty of guns for sale at Kempton that's for sure.It was nice seeing you and your Pal(forgot his name )at the event and hope to see you at the April Bash.
    Kind regards
    Les..