Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever thought 'That is one ugly gun'.....

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    I think this every time i open an Airgun world magazine, most modern air rifles are ugly to me! One reason i havent bought one for years.

I agree,modern PCP's are pretty grotesque in the main.

wow, printing off copies of pic,to make xmas cards for fellow shooters(that I dont like)

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Flint- That's a beauty compared with this beast (Beauty and the beast!! )..

John
    You win!

Hi,

I collect early British spring powered air pistols and consider the Cogswell & Harrison Certus to be just about as ugly as you can get. The pistol looks like it was assembled by Wallis and Grommit with some bits seemingly being added as an afterthought during manufacture. The pistol cocks like a Webley, but in the reverse direction which may have infringed the Webley patent leading to a very short production run. Don't really understand why a quality firearm company like Cogswell & Harrison felt the need to associate themselves with an air pistol and especially one of such an inelegant design. It does have a certain quirky appeal, but definitely one for the collector rather than the user.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 14-12-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

I collect early British spring powered air pistols and consider the Cogswell & Harrison Certus to be just about as ugly as you can get. The pistol looks like it was assembled by Wallis and Grommit with some bits seemingly being added as an afterthought during manufacture. The pistol cocks like a Webley, but in the reverse direction which may have infringed the Webley patent leading to a very short production run. Don't really understand why a quality firearm company like Cogswell & Harrison felt the need to associate themselves with an air pistol and especially one of such an inelegant design. It does have a certain quirky appeal, but definitely one for the collector rather than the user.

Brian
    Ungainly, yes, but ugly? I'm not sure..!

Brian what function does that rearmost 'strap' between the frame just above the grip and the breech have?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I know it's not a production gun, but this homemade air pistol pictured on a Russian airgun forum takes some beating in the beauty stakes:

The amazing thing is that the owner later entered it into a competition with other homemade airguns and it came second out of 5 entrants!

Now who wouldn't want one like that hanging on his wall?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I know it's not a production gun, but this homemade air pistol pictured on a Russian airgun forum takes some beating in the beauty stakes:

The amazing thing is that the owner later entered it into a competition with other homemade airguns and it came second out of 5 entrants!

I like the little palm shelf on the grip - must make it a lot more accurate.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

"Cogswell & Harrison"

Surely not. That's got to be photoshop case !!

Feeling queezy just looking at the picture.

Make the bad thing go away.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Hi,

Brian
    I like that a lot Brian.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

I dread to think what the under-barrel vented housing contains!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi,

Brian
    This one looks like a school metalwork project...hard to imagine a time when anyone thought this was a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Ungainly, yes, but ugly? I'm not sure..!

Brian what function does that rearmost 'strap' between the frame just above the grip and the breech have?

Hi Danny,

It's part of the rather crude automatic tap opening mechanism used on the pistol. I am only aware of three vintage spring air pistols which are tap loading, being the Abasmajor, Certus and one of the early Lincoln models. The long screw at the rear is a means of clearing a blocked barrel.

Happy Christmas
    Brian

Hi Danny,

It's part of the rather crude automatic tap opening mechanism used on the pistol. I am only aware of three vintage spring air pistols which are tap loading, being the Abasmajor, Certus and one of the early Lincoln models. The long screw at the rear is a means of clearing a blocked barrel.

Happy Christmas
    Brian
    Thanks Brian.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I dread to think what the under-barrel vented housing contains!
    Is that not a jiffy lighter for lighting his fags?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland

Probably a very poor copy of a very poor Chinese gun!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.