Thread: Webley Nemesis

Webley Nemesis

Was it made in England or imported?

Great gun, I have a real soft spot for them after having one as a kid.

Got a pair in .177 & .22. Really well made but let down slightly by a very heavy trigger.

What about the Stinger? Was that introduced before the Nemesis then? Got one of those somewhere too..

Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by Thegreg; 11-12-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    What about the Stinger? Was that introduced before the Nemesis then? Got one of those somewhere too..

Cheers
    Greg
    The Stinger definitely came a few years after the Nemesis. But I have a feeling it may not have been made in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The Stinger definitely came a few years after the Nemesis. But I have a feeling it may not have been made in the U.K.
    I've just dug mine out. Says "MADE IN ENGLAND" on the side of it. Just need some steel BB's now...

Cheers
    Greg

Greg

Got it. Thanks. I should have been clearer in my comment.

It’s a bit of a grey area how much extra work on imported parts qualifies as “made in...”. A lot of businesses across the board do the bare legal minimum. For example, I have heard that a lot of “made in Italy” clothes are actually mostly made in India or Mauritius, but have the final finishing done in Italy - just enough (probably) to meet the legal requirement. The old trading standards act guidance used to be clear that simply putting something in a new box, or plating steel cutlery with silver, did not qualify as “made in”, but was vague about what actually would qualify.

I’m a bit sceptical that 1996 or so Webley, haemorrhaging money, suddenly invested in Zamak casting and polymer technology, just to make the bargain-basement Stinger, from scratch.

So my hunch remains that the Stinger may have been legally “made in the U.K.” but was probably largely made here of parts made abroad, and/or, if made here, not, mostly, in the Webley factory.

I may well, of course, be wrong. The one thing this great forum lacks is an active, knowledgeable, former Webley employee who can help us clear up minor stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Greg

Got it. Thanks. I should have been clearer in my comment.

It’s a bit of a grey area how much extra work on imported parts qualifies as “made in...”. A lot of businesses across the board do the bare legal minimum. For example, I have heard that a lot of “made in Italy” clothes are actually mostly made in India or Mauritius, but have the final finishing done in Italy - just enough (probably) to meet the legal requirement. The old trading standards act guidance used to be clear that simply putting something in a new box, or plating steel cutlery with silver, did not qualify as “made in”, but was vague about what actually would qualify.

I’m a bit sceptical that 1996 or so Webley, haemorrhaging money, suddenly invested in Zamak casting and polymer technology, just to make the bargain-basement Stinger, from scratch.

So my hunch remains that the Stinger may have been legally “made in the U.K.” but was probably largely made here of parts made abroad, and/or, if made here, not, mostly, in the Webley factory.

I may well, of course, be wrong. The one thing this great forum lacks is an active, knowledgeable, former Webley employee who can help us clear up minor stuff like this.
    Yep all valid points. I've no doubt that the die cast aluminium body and polymer slide were subbed out by Webley, not necessarily abroad as you say because the UK has no shortage of companies offering those services. I think it'd be highly unlikely Webley made those in-house.

It must be noted though that the Nemesis has the same construction; die cast aluminium body & moulded polymer upper, with the exact same finish. I'm sure that was being knocked out of the same place that made those parts for the Stinger.

Cheers
    Greg

Webley

Sorry but Webley means just that, after their 'take over' or collapse there were no more real Webleys.
    Nemisis, um, Stinger - no comment except - a kiddy toy.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

The stinger I seem to remember as a pop out barrel style gun? Probably the worst pistol to have the webley name on it? The original nemesis however is an excellent gun. Single stoke pneumatic . A really accurate pistol in .177 and can still hold it''s own against more modern guns today . I've shot my .177 nemesis in pistol competitions and out shot other shooters using far more expensive target pistols. It''s worth mentioning they've just released another gun called the nemesis which is a co2 pistol and not a real webley so don't confuse the original with this.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Was it made in England or imported?

As far as I am concerned, it was the last real Webley Air Pistol to be designed and made in England.