Thread: scope selection advice for novice HFT

scope selection advice for novice HFT

Any guidance appreciated
    I'm currently using an early s200 and looking to get either a budget new or sensibly priced used scope for hft my budget is a maximum of £150 at the moment really
    What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
    Any guidance appreciated
    I'm currently using an early s200 and looking to get either a budget new or sensibly priced used scope for hft my budget is a maximum of £150 at the moment really
    What would you suggest?
    Hi there.

Add all will tell you, youyou need to look through scopes and we what you like. Personally I use a Hawke airmax 4-12x40. This is a nice bit of clear glass with a nice uncomplicated ret that's finer than some but not so fine it gets lost in bad light. Like I say this is just my personal choice been using it forafora year or so and very happy with it.

Welcome

There really is only one right piece of advice.

As said above you need to look through a scope to see if your eyes agree with it.

Generally for HFT you want fixed mag around 8 or 10 or a variable mag that needs to go no higher than 10 - 12. A front objective lens/bell no more than 40mm ( ish ). Usually a multi point ret ( mildots etc ).

Here's the best advice ...

If you are going to shoot HFT then you are going to shoot it at a club. So go to that club and introduce yourself and ask people what scope they use and could you have a look through them. They will be queuing up to help you and show you their kit and let you look through their scopes. Look through a number of scopes. Look at light areas and dark areas. Look at something 10 yards away and look at something 45 yards away and note what is and isn't blurry. Ask what distance they have the scope focussed at ( their PA setting ).

Then ... when you think you've found one that you like ... buy one of those second hand.

Over the next few months the chances are you will end up changing that scope. So if you buy new ... you'll lose about 30% of the cost or more. If you buy a decent condition one second hand then you'll probably get your money back (mostly).

There will be loads of scopes available second hand for your 150 quid.

Good luck and enjoy.

Note ... Other advice may be available but the above is as good as it gets.

"Ask what distance they have the scope focussed at ( their PA setting )."

... and what mag their scope is set at.

You don't have to stick to that but if it suits you when you look through it, it will give you a good starting point for that scope. Most will be around 8 - 10 mag and around 25 yards PA.

Cant add much to what bozzer has said but I will try.
    Noticed you are in Hastings so I would recommend going to Buxted HFT if possible. Top shots and nice people. They will be able to help a lot.

In terms of what you can get for your budget, quite a lot actually. Brand new you could get a side focus hawke vantage. I used these for a while and they are quite capae of getting you into the 50's scorewise. Second hand you could be looking at a MTC or optisan viper for the same money. I consider them good enough to be winning championships (if they suit your eyes).

Again, can't stress enough that the scope needs to suit you, but your budget should be fine.

Thanks guys sorry it took me a while to get back I've actually picked up a 2nd hand MTC mamba lite I've been to iden ferns with it a couple of times now and getting on quite well with it I'll be joining buxted in the new year I've already met a couple of the guys from there and seem like a nice helpful bunch

I've picked up a mamba lite now and seem to be getting on well with it I went to my first hft event at the oaks on Sunday a scored 45 that I'm over the moon with
    Thanks for the advice guys