Thread: Barrel question please?

Barrel question please?

Asking them that knows. Bought on a whim. Is this correct or ruined? How do you tell?

Is it threaded? If so it's very short but I think it looks well and off accuracy is there then what's not to like? Definitely not standard in my opinion tho so if you find that a issue the I'm sure someone else would love it.

It's shagged, Jules, but I'd happily give you £20 plus postage for it.

Being serious, the Old School HW85 came in either full length or in 16" barrelled K versions so I think someone has had the hacksaw to that one.

If it shoots nicely enough I wouldn't worry too much, but if you feel the need to rebarrel it you can still buy a new barrel stamped up as a HW85 or the barrels from a HW80, HW90, HW95 and HW98 will also fit the 85.

All the best Mick

Well it's been chopped as stated above.

If it's a screw on, or grub screw silencer, I'd be having that off and having a look at how it was finished. If it's been machined square and the crown is symmetrical then it's got half a chance. In fact I'd be having that silencer off even if it's a warm up to loosen bonding. You can do the test where you push a cotton bud thingy into the barrel at the crown end and see if there are lots of bits of fluff or fibres left on the crown. If there are then suggests that the pellets will be affected on exit. Probe a pellet through from the breech end. Take a close look when it exits. Does it look like the head is leaving at the same time all the way around? Have a look at the pellet when it's out. Are the marks equal all the way around?

Test is ...

Shoot it over the chrono with a few well known decent pellets and see what the power is.

How does it feel to shoot?

Do some accuracy testing ... If it groups well on a still day or indoors at 30 plus yards it's okay.

I've butchered a few down over the years ( or actually had them tidied up on a lathe after someone has literally hacksawed them off and finished them with a file ). Not sure I went that short but they all shot fine once tidied up properly. All depends if you get unlucky and someone has chopped it at a loose spot, or finished it and re-crowned it badly.

Good luck. I hope she shoots well.

Hw85

That's the Deluxe stock version. If the Mod comes off? Get DM80 to do you one of his lovely jobs and will set the 85 off very nice. Mach 1.5

Thanks for all the interest. Mod screws off easy. Measures 8 3/4 inch. marked Hull Cartridge with serial. Breech narked 85k and thread looks a bit homespun.
    Makes power and feels OK tome. Going to an experienced shooter next to get his view. I bought an 80k .177 barrel just in case.