Thread: Mark IV Airsporter question

Mark IV Airsporter question

Hi all

A quick (and probably stupid question) but did the mark iv airsporter have an automatic tap that opened when you cock it. And can the tap be flipped open and shut manually when not cocked? I’ve just handled one and can’t move the tap.

Cheers

Olli

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinww1 View Post
    Hi all

A quick (and probably stupid question) but did the mark iv airsporter have an automatic tap that opened when you cock it. And can the tap be flipped open and shut manually when not cocked? I’ve just handled one and can’t move the tap.

Cheers

Olli
    Hi Olli,

No they didn't have an automatic tap and yes you should be able to open and close the tap at any time whether cocked or not.

All the best Mick

Only the early Mk1 had an automatic tap, operated when cocking,the tap could be seized due to lack of use.

Had a Diana 50 T made in the 1980s and it was in just about as new condition. But the tap was seized as well. I think the lubricant they used then just hardened? Had to spray in oil the best I could and just work it tapping it with a small plastic mallet. After I worked it back and forth 10 times this way the oil finally freed it, took apart and cleaned. Works fine now.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Olli,

No they didn't have an automatic tap and yes you should be able to open and close the tap at any time whether cocked or not.

All the best Mick
    Watch out if someone has had the tap out and fitted a bb that has jammed or left it out and the little spring has jammed.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Only the early Mk1 had an automatic tap, operated when cocking,the tap could be seized due to lack of use.
    No --- the MK1 and MK2 had self opening taps.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Watch out if someone has had the tap out and fitted a bb that has jammed or left it out and the little spring has jammed.
    Yes, Guy, I've just had a look at the spare MK4 action I have as I couldn't remember if they had an indexing plate or not, and as you say, they do have a plate ball bearing and Spring on the righthand side of the gun.
    I'd remove this lot and also check to see if there's a nail wedged in the tap (yes, I've seen this) before going any further.

And be careful trying to turn the tap lever as they snap off easily (I've seen that as well), I'd be inclined to soak in oil and then try drifting the tap out very gently with a brass drift from right to left.

All the best Mick

To check if there is something stuck in the tap preventing it from turning, I would get a set of cleaning rods or similar item that will enter at the muzzle and pass down the barrel to the tap. If and when you reach a 'stop' then simply measuring the length of the inserted rod or whatever will tell you if there is a blockage or not. But if there was an object preventing the tap from opening I would have expected the tap to move a bit then stop, not be stuck firmly in the closed position.
    Cheers, Phil

Mine rifle had not been shot in 20 years at least and the tap was completely frozen till I got it moving by hammering at it with a small plastic mallot. Could be the lubricant they used back then?

Sticking BSA Tap

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for these replies - very helpful indeed.

The one I was handling (and thinking of buying) was in very good nick and I don't think had had a lot of use. It may, therefore be (as 45flint says) that the tap had just 'gummed' and would free with some lubrication. However, I certainly didn't want to force it. There was no obvious signs that it had every been stripped down but it may have been.

Anyway thanks again - Plus you have educated me on the automatic taps - For some reason I had it in my head that all the Airsporters had this feature - Useful to be put right on that for future reference

Thanks

Olly

i seem to remember that if some underlevers are loaded with a pellet first then cocked then the pellet can be sucked partly back toward the air chamber - this might jam the tap if it has happened

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Small drop of release oil on the pellet tap and allow to stand for a while to penetrate - then 'Gentle' persuasion and watch out you don't trap the small spring as already highlighted!
    Make sure you remove the release oil from surfaces once tap removed.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.