Thread: Re-engineering

Re-engineering

Has anyone successfully replaced the axis pin on bsa break barrels with a weihrauch style bolt to cure wobbly barrel syndrome?

Do we think it’s acceptable to do this if it’s possible?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    BSA used to use a barrel bolt and nut on the later Mercury/Challenger and on the Supersport custom model, if you go on the John Knibbs site and look for part numbers 16-4045, 16-4046, 16-4047, you will have the parts but you will need to have the cylinder machined so the parts sit flush in the cylinder, if you need the dimensions then let me know and I can measure my cylinder.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    there seems to be a gap in the market here... thinking a new pin, with a smallish (say m5) short threaded female hole in each end, with a bolt that clamps up for each side.

However I can't remember if the barrel grips the pin (above wouldn't work as it would unscrew), or the jaws grip the pin (would work fine)…

Perhaps easier is a nut and bolt that threads through a hollow pin - I think the remington express, or maybe it was a Diana (something cheap anyway) had this arrangement and it seemed to work fine..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    there seems to be a gap in the market here... thinking a new pin, with a smallish (say m5) short threaded female hole in each end, with a bolt that clamps up for each side.

However I can't remember if the barrel grips the pin (above wouldn't work as it would unscrew), or the jaws grip the pin (would work fine)…

Perhaps easier is a nut and bolt that threads through a hollow pin - I think the remington express, or maybe it was a Diana (something cheap anyway) had this arrangement and it seemed to work fine..
    Diana has a hollow pin with a threaded bolt going through it, can't comment on the Remington.

I know JohnBaz has a modified Mercury that has a converted bolt but I can't remember which rifle the bolt is from.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks chaps.

I agree, it seems like there should be an aftermarket fix for this that avoids milling the breech jaws.

Ill investigate the parts you mention Pete, thanks.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Thanks chaps.

I agree, it seems like there should be an aftermarket fix for this that avoids milling the breech jaws.

Steve.
    Bowket used to include the modification you mentioned as part of his BSA Meteor and Mercury conversions back in the 1980's. He copied the HW system which stops the bolt acting as a cam if it turns in use as well as clamping the jaws

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Thanks chaps.

Steve.
    You would have thought there was some sort of fix considering the Supersport suffers from the same issue with them only having a pin fitted, this problem is what turns a lot of people off buying the Supersport (as well as build quality issues), digressing a little, you would have also thought that someone would have come up with a far better trigger set up for the Gamo trigger, even the Charlie da Tuna and Welsh Willy trigger is pretty crap and doesn't improve it that much (in my experience anyway), unless you like single stage triggers.

Pete