Thread: Hw97k woes (chester area)

Hw97k woes (chester area)

My hw97k needs a bit of attention 😯

Basically it cocks and fires as normal but it's not driving the pellet down the barrel

Barrel is clean & pellet wasn't stuck (came out easily)

Someone suggested the top hat has come off?

Honestly I dont know much about springers internals!

Anyone local ish who can help me out?

Thanks, Jon

Hw97k woes (chester area

check the piston,breech seal

One or more of the following is likely:
    1. Breech seal broken / worn/ missing. This is the creamy coloured small seal about 7mm diameter in the end of the compression tube; visible when you cock the rifle.
    2. Worn piston seal .... easily replaced but need to remove piston.
    3. Broken spring ... as number 2. Can be diagnosed often by noisy cocking or cocking is too easy. Maybe u/l flops down further than it used to.

very simple rifle to strip and service ... plenty of guides on the web.
    Cheers, Phil

Jon, where abouts are you , i'm in flint and can strip it down and sort it for you if you want to bring it to me

Sounds to me like a detached piston seal, had a gun the other day with the same symptoms, it hadn't been used for a long time and the piston seal had stuck to the inside of the cylinder, when the gun was cocked, the piston came back, but the seal stayed at the end of the cylinder, the gun would cock and fire, but the pellet stayed in the breech, atb Daz

I had this problem recently with my hw50s. After stripping and shining a torch down the cylinder, the tp was blocked by some dislodged swarf. Cleaned out cylinder with bamboo stick/kitchen tissue attached at one end...... sorted

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by hjr72 View Post
    Jon, where abouts are you , i'm in flint and can strip it down and sort it for you if you want to bring it to me
    What a lovely offer.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by hjr72 View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I've sent you a PM

Thanks for the other replies, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    Sounds to me like a detached piston seal, had a gun the other day with the same symptoms, it hadn't been used for a long time and the piston seal had stuck to the inside of the cylinder, when the gun was cocked, the piston came back, but the seal stayed at the end of the cylinder, the gun would cock and fire, but the pellet stayed in the breech, atb Daz
    No desire to hijack the thread but the above reminded me: several years ago I bought a virtually new Westlake branded B2 at auction. Absolutely spotless. On arrival home I tested it. Zilch. Pellet stayed in breech. Strange noise on firing as well. Stripped it down to find the piston head had detached and was stuck in cylinder. The screw holding head to piston had no thread left on it. I assume it started to work loose, on firing some thread was stripped then a bit more etc etc. Worked quite well once I had sorted it.
    Cheers, Phil