Thread: BSA Meteor Paint

BSA Meteor Paint

I am restoring a mark 2 meteor these had a painted finish so what type of black paint would you use on them ?

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I tried Smoothrite (spray not brush) on a Mk3 Meteor,did about 5 coats and it came up really well,not overly glossy and the finish was quite tough wearing.

A single coat of gloss black two pack acrylic,toxic and best applied by a professional in a booth.

Speak to a local bodyshop.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    I tried Smoothrite (spray not brush) on a Mk3 Meteor,did about 5 coats and it came up really well,not overly glossy and the finish was quite tough wearing.
    Cheers Phil will give that ago.

Meteor paint finish ?

I have just acquired three old rifles from an uncle. An old Diana model 27 in .22 cal. with no blued finish on it at all, just brown rust. A Webley Hawk mk2 with both cal. barrels in well used & chipped finish. Ans a BSA Murcury mk2 with well used & scratched finish & the usual piston head buffer washer disintegrated semi seizing the piston !! I have taken back the rust on the Diana to base metal & re-sprayed it using Hamerite smooth gloss with the aerosol spray. looks good but unfortunately the finish is prone to chip off if knocked etc. so looking for an alternative finish for the Webley & BSA. Any suggestions guys. I do not want to go down the route of having them proffesionaly re-blued with the added cost.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmickey View Post
    I have just acquired three old rifles from an uncle. An old Diana model 27 in .22 cal. with no blued finish on it at all, just brown rust. A Webley Hawk mk2 with both cal. barrels in well used & chipped finish. Ans a BSA Murcury mk2 with well used & scratched finish & the usual piston head buffer washer disintegrated semi seizing the piston !! I have taken back the rust on the Diana to base metal & re-sprayed it using Hamerite smooth gloss with the aerosol spray. looks good but unfortunately the finish is prone to chip off if knocked etc. so looking for an alternative finish for the Webley & BSA. Any suggestions guys. I do not want to go down the route of having them proffesionaly re-blued with the added cost.
    Stay away from cold blues, they smell, are toxic and dont stand up to much wear.

If you dont want to get involved in rust-bluing at home, I would recommend just oiling and cleaning with 0000 steel wool.
    Any future collectors value disappears the moment you start using abrasives, and only skilled restoration really improves looks.
    Get the guns shooting, restore their mechanical function and stop further rusting, but leave honest cosmetic wear alone.

But that is just my personal opinion.