Thread: Does this have the potential to be a nice rifle....

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Does this have the potential to be a nice rifle....

.....Or will it turn out to be a sows ear?

I've been looking for something a bit different to play with next year and stumbled across the Cometa Fenix 400 Premier carbine (on the McAvoys site), now I love a really short barrelled carbine with a big fat silencer on the end, the normal beech stocked Cometa 400 carbine has always caught my eye but it's just one of those rifles that has never begged me to buy one.

I've always been a sucker for a walnut stock but I'm not expecting anything special with this one but who knows you may get a little bit of fancy grain, I know one of the members on here (vestlenning I believe) managed to obtain a lovely walnut stocked 400 when the subject was touched on before a long time ago, I have since found photo's of the said above stock but it had the longer barrelled action but seeing the carbine version on McAvoys site has drawn me too it even more now knowing I can get the walnut stock and carbine barrel in the same package.

Am I viewing this rifle with rose tinted glasses or can it actually turn out to be a nice little shooter with a bit of fettling, I know it's not going to have the trigger and shooting pleasantness of a HW99 but I'm just thinking of trying a different type of underdog with a fancy party frock.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I owned a 300s and was quite impressed, very well made, internal and external, so would expect the 400 to be same if not better. Word of warning if you are getting it from mcavoys, the image you see may not be the gun you are getting!!

"Mole Valley Farmers" have been selling the Fenix for years, a few other air rifles have come & gone but the Fenix is the only one they now sell, if it was rubbish it wouldn't have lasted as a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I owned a 300s and was quite impressed, very well made, internal and external, so would expect the 400 to be same if not better. Word of warning if you are getting it from mcavoys, the image you see may not be the gun you are getting!!
    Don't worry, I know a lot of these companies use a generic "library" picture to show said rifle, I'm going to see if the gun shop I use can get them first (I'm sure I've seen a couple of Cometa's on their shelves before) and if they can't, I'll get one sent to them from McAvoys, if I decide to get one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    "Mole Valley Farmers" have been selling the Fenix for years, a few other air rifles have come & gone but the Fenix is the only one they now sell, if it was rubbish it wouldn't have lasted as a seller.
    I've seen one in my local mole traders but it's the look of the trigger area that's always put me off, I'll admit I've never really had a proper look at one but the trigger blade just looked like it was made of plastic and would bend when used (I don't think it is), like often said by many on here, we all get spoilt by decent triggers on HW/AA and Diana's and we often shy away from other makes because we don't think they can be up to the same standard, don't know why I'm worried to much about it considering half the rifles in my collection have pretty poor triggers and I'm dealing with a Gamo one at the moment on my Brocock Indy and we all know how shocking they are.

Pete

Id not dismiss the 300, it's made for sub12fpe, whereas the 400 is made to do 18plus, so expect a hw80 shot cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Id not dismiss the 300, it's made for sub12fpe, whereas the 400 is made to do 18plus, so expect a hw80 shot cycle.
    One of the main reasons I'm looking at the 400 mentioned is because of the walnut stock and the short barrel, something the 300 doesn't have.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    One of the main reasons I'm looking at the 400 mentioned is because of the walnut stock and the short barrel, something the 300 doesn't have.

Pete
    My 300 was carbined version with fat mod, but no walnut, struggled to keep it legal, very handy gun, another one I should have kept!

Had a nice one in .177 that we should have kept. (Same old story).
    I think it was a nicer rifle than the Walther terrus I had at the same time. I didn't have any other break barrels then so can't make any more comparisons. If the trigger had been better I would probably have one over a hw95.
    Unfortunately the trigger was a bit 'gamo'

I seem to remember that PCP Shooter has a soft spot for these, Pete.

Also Blackbaronfish has / had one. Can't remember if Nick (Tinners) or NickG did some work on it for him?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Not convinced it would be worth a lot of effort?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Not convinced it would be worth a lot of effort?
    Don't worry I'm doing my homework and half the time a lot of these rifles I lust after never get bought as something else pops up and grabs my attention.

Pete