Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley mk 11 service training ?

webley mk 11 service training ?

was the mk 11 used to train solders in ww2 as im having a disagreement with someone who said it was ,and im saying its the mk1 ?

As far as I know,they never trained soldiers with them ,mk 1 or mk2 ,I could be wrong,mike

Apart from possible unofficial use by a few organisations associated with the armed forces, there is no evidence of the Webley Mk2 Service being officially adopted for training by any of the armed forces. I'm also pretty sure that the pre-1914 BSA Military Pattern air rifle was also never formally adopted, but probably the military association would have been used to increase its commercial attraction. The BSA Gunnery Trainer based on the Lincoln Jeffries underlever rifle was however officially used to train artillery crews.

Happy Christmas
    Brian

As far as I am aware, the only official Webley military training rifle was the spring loaded bayonet training rifle from 1914/15.
    If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Also the Swift training rifle which was used by the Army and the RAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As far as I am aware, the only official Webley military training rifle was the spring loaded bayonet training rifle from 1914/15.
    If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.
    That’s my understanding also for what it’s worth, to be fair there aren’t many folk on here who would argue the toss about Webley history with you
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    was the mk 11 used to train solders in ww2 as im having a disagreement with someone who said it was ,and im saying its the mk1 ?
    Wouldn't perhaps be with a bloke on free ads? I saw one recently that was listed as a military trainer rifle. But as stated, they were not (at least not officially).

army/air/navy Cadets might have used them back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    That’s my understanding also for what it’s worth, to be fair there aren’t many folk on here who would argue the toss about Webley history with you
    Thanks Richard, but I have on occasion been wrong before and been corrected.
    I've had a word with someone more knowledgeable who is of similar opinion about the use of Webley training rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Wouldn't perhaps be with a bloke on free ads? I saw one recently that was listed as a military trainer rifle. But as stated, they were not (at least not officially).

army/air/navy Cadets might have used them back in the day.
    That is correct, I sold him the service rifle he told he wanted it as he had one yrs ago ,then he stuck over £200 on top of the £400 I sold it for and added some blag.and the condishion went up so wen I saw the blag I told him its not the case ,he telling me that Thrales book disagree with me and Wikipedia I give up .he now selling pistols in repro boxes he think the box adds £100 ,I told him he needs to say they are repro as he gives the f ads a bad name .he reckons he can professionally re blue with cold blue .so that's the guy I will call him mr re pro from now on

Thanks for all the in put guys, think I am wasting my time trying to educate this guy

Thanks for all the in put guys, think I am wasting my time trying to educate this guy
    Think you might be right. He is obviously trying to make a huge profit off the rifle. Surely a shame since someone will believe him and bite.

Also I checked the wiki, the whole bit about the service rifle was obviously written by someone with poor grammar. There were mistakes everywhere. Too bad anyone can just go on and edit it.

Approved Air Rifles

https://imgur.com/a/loRBpEA

For use as 'trainers' by the NZ Army,1942. We did much the same as the Brits, ;-)

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Sounds like the guy l come across at a antiques fair recently, who tried to tell me a light pattern push button rifle he was selling for £400 was out the first batch of Lincoln/BSA rifles ever made. when l tried to tell him it was out the last type of rifles made. he said just look at the serial number. l said that you wrong. but he was adderment he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Sounds like the guy l come across at a antiques fair recently, who tried to tell me a light pattern push button rifle he was selling for £400 was out the first batch of Lincoln/BSA rifles ever made. when l tried to tell him it was out the last type of rifles made. he said just look at the serial number. l said that you wrong. but he was adderment he was right.
    I see that a lot with the L patterns. Someone has L129 and thinks its from 1905/6. While it is actually from 1919 onward's.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Think you might be right. He is obviously trying to make a huge profit off the rifle. Surely a shame since someone will believe him and bite.

Also I checked the wiki, the whole bit about the service rifle was obviously written by someone with poor grammar. There were mistakes everywhere. Too bad anyone can just go on and edit it.
    what got me is not how much profit he ernes it was the disruption the gun was ok so I sold it as good ,he sold it as having all original finish and a excellent example if this was true id have kept it but it was not collectable condishion for me any way ,and if the buyer yep it sold bought it with out seeing it in the flesh which is the case most time on internet sales they are going to be disappointed paying 600 for 400 gun .but saying that he stuck it in a repro box I don't know how much the box cost I have only seen the pistol boxes for sale and have never seen a webley service box repro