Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting my open sighted BSA .

Shooting my open sighted BSA .

I managed to get myself a lovely 1936 light pattern Bsa from the Kempton arms fair last Sunday.
    I took it to my club today for a zeroing in session .I had a great time shooting the Bsa and managed to get some half tidy groups . The gun is doing 4.5 FT/lbs 480fps ,at 6 yards it's perfect,for some bell target shooting.Every one who had a go with the gun was surprised at how nice the 82 year old gun was to shoot with.I have some very nice tuned guns in my collection , but these old bsa 's put a big smile on my old face every time.
    Atb
    Les..

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Congratulations and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I managed to get myself a lovely 1936 light pattern Bsa from the Kempton arms fair last Sunday.
    I took it to my club today for a zeroing in session .I had a great time shooting the Bsa and managed to get some half tidy groups . The gun is doing 4.5 FT/lbs 480fps ,at 6 yards it's perfect,for some bell target shooting.Every one who had a go with the gun was surprised at how nice the 82 year old gun was to shoot with.I have some very nice tuned guns in my collection , but these old bsa 's put a big smile on my old face every time.
    Atb
    Les..
    Did you buy it from a Lady at the fair?

I anticipate watching you ringing the bell with it at the April bash, Les.

I agree, they're nice to shoot with their finely adjustable sights, and well manufactured.

My equivalent is an earlier Mod D dated 1910, a .22" long gun. Great fun on spinners and knockdowns up to 30yds, standing. With an Airsporter spring 11.5ft lbs with Superdomes and off the bench, groups <1/2inch @ 20yds on paper.

I bet you'd have liked one with the flip up BSA aperture sight fitted. I wish mine had.

Congrats Les and a big cheesy grin is all you can ask of a sport /hobby ,a club member at our place recently resprung a couple of BSA 's and a Haenel mod lv, such good fun I really enjoyed using them and may need to get one or two

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Did you buy it from a Lady at the fair?
    Hi Binners
    I bought the gun from a nice chap at the Fair:cool. Thanks Peter for hosting the event,I had a great time looking at all the lovely guns at the Kempton Fair.
    Regards
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Roundshot View Post
    I anticipate watching you ringing the bell with it at the April bash, Les.

I agree, they're nice to shoot with their finely adjustable sights, and well manufactured.

My equivalent is an earlier Mod D dated 1910, a .22" long gun. Great fun on spinners and knockdowns up to 30yds, standing. With an Airsporter spring 11.5ft lbs with Superdomes and off the bench, groups <1/2inch @ 20yds on paper.

I bet you'd have liked one with the flip up BSA aperture sight fitted. I wish mine had.
    Hello Ted
    I will try and ring the bell for sure mate.
    Please bring your model D along to the Bash in April,I'm sure we would all love to have a shoot with your gun.
    I did see a very nice Bsa standard with the flip up aperture sight fitted,at the Fair but didn't fancy a row with the missus if I had bought it.i would love to get myself the Big (long Tom) Bsa in .22 cal for the longer range targets.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Congrats Les and a big cheesy grin is all you can ask of a sport /hobby ,a club member at our place recently resprung a couple of BSA 's and a Haenel mod lv, such good fun I really enjoyed using them and may need to get one or two
    Hi Gavin
    These older vintage guns are well worthy in any collection, and I hope you get your self one or two. They can be shot cack handed if needed As you already know.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by peterd8877 View Post
    Congratulations and enjoy it.
    Cheers Peter
    I will Sir .

Hello Ted
    Please bring your model D along to the Bash in April,I'm sure we would all love to have a shoot with your gun.
    I did see a very nice Bsa standard with the flip up aperture sight fitted,at the Fair but didn't fancy a row with the missus if I had bought it.i would love to get myself the Big (long Tom) Bsa in .22 cal for the longer range targets.
    Atb
    Les..
    I shall bring her Les, cheers, and I'll enjoy seeing yours.

Excellent stuff, chaps.

Will look forward to having a look and a cheeky little go with each, if possible, in April?

Lovely guns.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Nice one Les, some times a basic little gun can be so much fun and a challenge.
    Mmmmh I wonder is this all going to lead to an expensive new side to your fab collection
    Hopefully catch you at the next Kempton
    Cheers
    Dave.
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Quote Originally Posted by Dai.T View Post
    Nice one Les, some times a basic little gun can be so much fun and a challenge.
    Mmmmh I wonder is this all going to lead to an expensive new side to your fab collection
    Hopefully catch you at the next Kempton
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Hi Dave
    Going back to a no thrills rifle can be a real pleasure.Yes I could get carried away if the funds allowed.
    It would be great to see you at the next one mate.
    Atb
    Les..

Hello Ted

Les..
    Blimey Les, it is hard enough to ring the bell with a 300s, never mind an old open sighter. I'll have a few tries with the LJ - but I don't expect much success.

Les,
    Glad you're enjoying it. I must admit that these old air rifles add a different element to shooting. I've been using that Imp' mod D on a bell target I bought recently. It's a real challenge but very satisfying when you do ring it. The trouble is now, you look at other old BSA's as they become available and you almost justify to yourself the reason you want it (there's a couple of less than pristine light patterns at the RFD I purchased the Mod D from and I'm leaning towards putting an offer in for one of those as well).
    Have fun over the Chrimbo' with it and look forward to catching up with you (and the BSA) at the next bash.