Thread: Match Pistol -right hand, left eye

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First, may sound strange, but coaching-wise, the dominant eye is leading for whether to shoot l/h or r/h.
    So have you ever tried lefthanded?
    That said, cross dominance is very difficult. I had a cross dominant rifle 'test-case'with my trainers exam.
    He had a zero stance that was waaaaaaaaaaay off. (on the neighbours card).
    Its very difficult to correct that with stance. Allthough pistol is easier than rifle.
    I'd certainly block the vision of your non-aiming eye with a blend. Otherwise, your target will never be where you want it to be
    Secondly, did you ever tést whether your left eye is dominant? Visibility is a good clue, but its not a test.
    ATB,
    yana

If you can not get on left handed then you really should be using an eye patch / obscurer over the left eye to ‘make’ the right eye the dominant one.
    I don’t think tha angled rink grip would be sufficient to counter the difference as the angle is quite severe .

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    If you can not get on left handed then you really should be using an eye patch / obscurer over the left eye to ‘make’ the right eye the dominant one.
    I don’t think tha angled rink grip would be sufficient to counter the difference as the angle is quite severe .

ATB
    James
    Gents
    Thanks for feedback so far ! Whilst i don’t know how you test for dominance other than sight, I’ve had a duff right eye since birth and all it really does is peripheral vision, so I think I’m confident determining it is very passive and not dominant. It’s club night tonight so I will have a go at the extreme stance suggested for a start. Also with a bit of time available over the Xmas break maybe I will have a go at twisting the grip via blue tak mmodelling. I guess if that works I can then either use filler or buy the twisted grip. There’s non one at the club who shoots left handed to have a go with a match pistol but maybe I could have a play with my HW40 ambi grip using left hand as a temporary trial. Of course if that’s not shocking, I’ll need a LH grip!
    Will let you know how I get on
    ATB
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Gents
    Thanks for feedback so far ! Whilst i don’t know how you test for dominance other than sight,
    ATB
    Lundy
    Here how you test eye dominance:
    https://www.allaboutvision.com/video/dominant-eye.htm
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Bob- that’s a lovely story of your boomerang grip! It does start to nudge me to a Rink .
    Yana -thanks for the link -I’ve just tried it and I am most definitely 100% Left eye dominant.
    I did try the extreme stance last night , starting at 135 degrees but found it over compensated. A more natural zero stance , with the gripfeeling much more natural was actually about 110 degrees. However, unfortunately I didn’t get much chance to really try it. Last week I voiced my intention to source a vintage rifle and several members brought in their favourites for me to try, so a lot of time was taken up having some boyhood fun. At 6yards, I was actually better with a mule kicking Cadet Major from 1950 than my slightly less vintage Original 75. But considering the difference in recoil, sights,stock,trigger and overall technology, I was amazed.
    I now recall something Robin said about anyone can score 90’s using a broom handle grip with the right technique ! It really was a good lesson in the adages around how much we blame our kit for poor results instead of ourselves !
    Anyway, back to the home range tomorrow to continue testing the 110deg stance ( once sprout peeling duties completed!)
    ATB
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Filler advice

Guys
    Back on this pre Xmas theme, I have tried left handed and I'm confident it's not for me and I haven't the patience to keep going with it. I'm clearly left eye dominant and right handed. So, that's what I'm going for.

I have tried the extreme stance but it strained too many muscles and over compensated, though an extra 20 degrees does help.

I've now tried bluetak and that has worked well. Time to use filler!

So, what filler do you all use?

Cheers

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Guys
    Back on this pre Xmas theme, I have tried left handed and I'm confident it's not for me and I haven't the patience to keep going with it. I'm clearly left eye dominant and right handed. So, that's what I'm going for.

I have tried the extreme stance but it strained too many muscles and over compensated, though an extra 20 degrees does help.

I've now tried bluetak and that has worked well. Time to use filler!

So, what filler do you all use?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Try Milliput epoxy filler.

This is available in several colours and the brown coloured type is the one that I have found to be the most acceptable, but black, white, and silver/grey colours are alternative choices.

When dry this Milliput is tough enough to be able to take a screw thread - but if you need to remove it in the future I have found that a sharp "tap" with a light hammer will cause it to fracture away from the wood leaving the original grip intact - but the wood underneath will need bit of a clean-up (as you would expect!).

Milliput can be kneaded like a dough after the two halves of the individually wrapped lengths are put together, and when you have got it on the grip and "more or less" formed to the shape you need it can be dampened with water and wiped over (I use my fingers for this) to make an ultra-smooth surface.

You can also wet your hand when the shape is getting close and hold the grip firmly to imprint your hand palm and fingers where desired.

When dry the surface can be stippled with a Dremel and fine burr to give a non-slip grip to the usual areas where a smooth surface is not required.

Hope this helps - Milliput has always worked well for me!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-01-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I bought a Morini 162ie that came with a RINK grip that was stamped LRB7d as it had been bought for use by a right handed shooter who had a dominant left eye.

My needs were a little different as I wanted to shoot the pistol right handed with a dominant right eye and noticed that the grip wanted to move the pistol across and towards the left to align the pistol sights with the left eye, so I was able to see the difference that this 7 degree "twist" in the grip was able to achieve when compared with the same large r/h RINK grip that did not have this 7 degree off-set.

Over the last 50 or so years have enjoyed making or modifying pistols grips (without the use of any filler) if I can improve the fit but retain the good looks of the natural wood so this grip provided me with a nice challenge!

I noticed that this off-set grip had a higher thumb shelf with a smaller aperture for the thumb when compared with my other large r/h RINK grip that I had and also noticed how much thicker the palm swell was.

When combined together, these features would cause the hand to sit across the grip making the pistol "point" to the right - good for use by a right handed shooter who likes to shoot when using the left eye.

I modified the grip to suite me by lowering the thumb shelf and opening the thumb aperture to the same measurements as the "regular" right handed RINK grip of the same size - but I took advantage of the increased palm swell to fill my hand better than the "regular" RINK r/h grip that was stamped LRB (size large, right hand with larger palm swell).

This saved me having to find a suitable piece of walnut to laminate onto the "palm" to increase the girth in this area and only needed minimal shaping and re-stippling to make it fit well and look like a factory made grip!

This grip was sold with my Morini to a local club member who also appreciated the improved feel that this modified grip had to offer. Later he sold the pistol with this unique grip still on the pistol.

Some months later I saw a large RINK r/h grip being offered for sale here on the BBS. I bought it as a spare - not knowing that this grip had been made with this off-set.

When the grip arrived I saw that the stamp on the grip was LRB7d - this was NOT a regular grip but one that had been made with an off-set. Further inspection and holding of the grip brought back a smile as I recognised it immediately as being this very same grip ! Perhaps the seller did not know that it started life as a grip with a 7 degree offset as it would not have felt any different to any other Large r/h RINK grip after I had worked on it - except for the increased amount of volume in the palm area!

Imagine how chuffed I was to find that this was the same grip that I had modified some years earlier!

After a good clean and some fresh walnut oil it still looked like new and still fitted every bit as well as I remember it and has been fitted on my current Morini 162ie ever since!
    Last edited by zooma; 20-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.