Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Pistol -right hand, left eye

Match Pistol -right hand, left eye

All
    I'm shooting an EVO 10, medium grip, and even with maximum twist, it doesn't feel right. It never comes up to a natural rise and my trigger finger is reaching because my wrist is twisted to the right . I'm wondering how much difference the Rink grips with the 7 degree twist makes? They are £200 ish and I'm not taking the plunge without some recommendations.
    Does anyone with the same situation have experience of these twisted grips grips?
    Cheers
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

I have shot a few guns with these 7 degree twist as you call it. But that was left eye left grip.
    I hardly noticed the difference.

Why not try packing your existing grip with plasticine and see what you think.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you shooting right hand left eye ? Is your left eye dominant but you are right handed ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I've battled with this problem for years.(Dominant and superior L eye, and R handed).
    If you have longish fingers, they will tend to come round too much with the 7 deg twist option, so you will need more volume in the grip.
    I've tried R eye, R hand, that was not very satisfactory.
    I'm now shooting left handed, the decision was made for me due to pain in my right shoulder, and I wish I had done this earlier in my shooting career.
    Evo 10 Compact.

I’m Rh and left eye, but as I wear glasses, it’s worse looking out of the side of the lens.
    Struggled to shoot like this and then went left handed, much better results. All you need is the time and effort to convert.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I was taught pistol by a right hand - left eye shooter. First thing he said to me is to do what he said and NOT what he did. He was a very good pistol shot and a good tutor too.

His stance was pretty much unique. Extremely open. He would be facing about 135 degrees away from the target, (face the target square on, move feet to turn left 90 degrees, and then another 45 degrees) with an extreme twist to his right at hips and with head rotated all the way to his right. He was looking over his right shoulder at the sights and target. This brings the left eye in line with the sights and target. Looked weird but it really worked for him.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I’m Rh and left eye, but as I wear glasses, it’s worse looking out of the side of the lens.
    Struggled to shoot like this and then went left handed, much better results. All you need is the time and effort to convert.
    I recall I got a bit bored with shooting so decided I would try left hand left eye shooting just for the challenge. Took about three months to feel comfortable doing it like that but it can be done and becomes natural. Went back to RH R eye and immediately fell right back into the old way. Interesting experiment. Also found that reloading an underlever was actually faster if already holding the rifle in the left hand.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I'm in the same situation.. had been shoting right handed for many years before someone pointed out that my left eye was dominant.

With rifles, i always managed to sight with my right eye... after all these years my left eye is used to closing, but i did struggle with match pistol, and ended up using a blind over the left eye.

When shooting FB pistol (2 handed), I've adjusted my position over the years and now bring the pistol more across my body to use the left eye.

Things have got worse over the last year, and I've now been diagnosed with cataracts forming on my right eye!

I did try shooting left handed a few weeks ago, it just felt so wrong..!

I shot my Morini with a 7 degree rink with a thick volume which worked well, Now shooting an FWB and the grip adjustment allows me to shoot a standard rink with what have so far been very good results, Add some bluetac to the grip heel and see how it feels, you can remove the bluetac easily and it's far cheaper to try than buying a grip, you may find you need less than the 7 degrees due to the rotational adjustment of the EVO, I've tried right eye/right hand, left eye/left hand but Left eye/right hand just feels more natural, I can sight a rifle right eye no problem but not a pistol, in all honesty it's never really bothered me , go with what feels right and gives you the best results.,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, why are you shooting right hand left eye ? Is your left eye dominant but you are right handed ?
    Yes! I'm right handed , left eye dominant!
    I'm naturally right handed and can't see for toffee with my right eye and never have , so it's very dominant. I also shoot rifle but am quite happy to shoot left handed , but have tried and failed with the pistol on that score
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

First, may sound strange, but coaching-wise, the dominant eye is leading for whether to shoot l/h or r/h.
    So have you ever tried lefthanded?
    That said, cross dominance is very difficult. I had a cross dominant rifle 'test-case'with my trainers exam.
    He had a zero stance that was waaaaaaaaaaay off. (on the neighbours card).
    Its very difficult to correct that with stance. Allthough pistol is easier than rifle.
    I'd certainly block the vision of your non-aiming eye with a blend. Otherwise, your target will never be where you want it to be
    Secondly, did you ever tést whether your left eye is dominant? Visibility is a good clue, but its not a test.
    ATB,
    yana

If you can not get on left handed then you really should be using an eye patch / obscurer over the left eye to ‘make’ the right eye the dominant one.
    I don’t think tha angled rink grip would be sufficient to counter the difference as the angle is quite severe .

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    If you can not get on left handed then you really should be using an eye patch / obscurer over the left eye to ‘make’ the right eye the dominant one.
    I don’t think tha angled rink grip would be sufficient to counter the difference as the angle is quite severe .

ATB
    James
    Gents
    Thanks for feedback so far ! Whilst i don’t know how you test for dominance other than sight, I’ve had a duff right eye since birth and all it really does is peripheral vision, so I think I’m confident determining it is very passive and not dominant. It’s club night tonight so I will have a go at the extreme stance suggested for a start. Also with a bit of time available over the Xmas break maybe I will have a go at twisting the grip via blue tak mmodelling. I guess if that works I can then either use filler or buy the twisted grip. There’s non one at the club who shoots left handed to have a go with a match pistol but maybe I could have a play with my HW40 ambi grip using left hand as a temporary trial. Of course if that’s not shocking, I’ll need a LH grip!
    Will let you know how I get on
    ATB
    Lundy

I bought a Morini 162ie that came with a RINK grip that was stamped LRB7d as it had been bought for use by a right handed shooter who had a dominant left eye.

My needs were a little different as I wanted to shoot the pistol right handed with a dominant right eye and noticed that the grip wanted to move the pistol across and towards the left to align the pistol sights with the left eye, so I was able to see the difference that this 7 degree "twist" in the grip was able to achieve when compared with the same large r/h RINK grip that did not have this 7 degree off-set.

Over the last 50 or so years have enjoyed making or modifying pistols grips (without the use of any filler) if I can improve the fit but retain the good looks of the natural wood so this grip provided me with a nice challenge!

I noticed that this off-set grip had a higher thumb shelf with a smaller aperture for the thumb when compared with my other large r/h RINK grip that I had and also noticed how much thicker the palm swell was.

When combined together, these features would cause the hand to sit across the grip making the pistol "point" to the right - good for use by a right handed shooter who likes to shoot when using the left eye.

I modified the grip to suite me by lowering the thumb shelf and opening the thumb aperture to the same measurements as the "regular" right handed RINK grip of the same size - but I took advantage of the increased palm swell to fill my hand better than the "regular" RINK r/h grip that was stamped LRB (size large, right hand with larger palm swell).

This saved me having to find a suitable piece of walnut to laminate onto the "palm" to increase the girth in this area and only needed minimal shaping and re-stippling to make it fit well and look like a factory made grip!

This grip was sold with my Morini to a local club member who also appreciated the improved feel that this modified grip had to offer. Later he sold the pistol with this unique grip still on the pistol.

Some months later I saw a large RINK r/h grip being offered for sale here on the BBS. I bought it as a spare - not knowing that this grip had been made with this off-set.

When the grip arrived I saw that the stamp on the grip was LRB7d - this was NOT a regular grip but one that had been made with an off-set. Further inspection and holding of the grip brought back a smile as I recognised it immediately as being this very same grip ! Perhaps the seller did not know that it started life as a grip with a 7 degree offset as it would not have felt any different to any other Large r/h RINK grip after I had worked on it - except for the increased amount of volume in the palm area!

Imagine how chuffed I was to find that this was the same grip that I had modified some years earlier!

After a good clean and some fresh walnut oil it still looked like new and still fitted every bit as well as I remember it and has been fitted on my current Morini 162ie ever since!
    Last edited by zooma; 20-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Gents
    Thanks for feedback so far ! Whilst i don’t know how you test for dominance other than sight,
    ATB
    Lundy
    Here how you test eye dominance:
    https://www.allaboutvision.com/video/dominant-eye.htm
    ATB,
    yana