Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match Pistol -right hand, left eye

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Bob- that’s a lovely story of your boomerang grip! It does start to nudge me to a Rink .
    Yana -thanks for the link -I’ve just tried it and I am most definitely 100% Left eye dominant.
    I did try the extreme stance last night , starting at 135 degrees but found it over compensated. A more natural zero stance , with the gripfeeling much more natural was actually about 110 degrees. However, unfortunately I didn’t get much chance to really try it. Last week I voiced my intention to source a vintage rifle and several members brought in their favourites for me to try, so a lot of time was taken up having some boyhood fun. At 6yards, I was actually better with a mule kicking Cadet Major from 1950 than my slightly less vintage Original 75. But considering the difference in recoil, sights,stock,trigger and overall technology, I was amazed.
    I now recall something Robin said about anyone can score 90’s using a broom handle grip with the right technique ! It really was a good lesson in the adages around how much we blame our kit for poor results instead of ourselves !
    Anyway, back to the home range tomorrow to continue testing the 110deg stance ( once sprout peeling duties completed!)
    ATB
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Filler advice

Guys
    Back on this pre Xmas theme, I have tried left handed and I'm confident it's not for me and I haven't the patience to keep going with it. I'm clearly left eye dominant and right handed. So, that's what I'm going for.

I have tried the extreme stance but it strained too many muscles and over compensated, though an extra 20 degrees does help.

I've now tried bluetak and that has worked well. Time to use filler!

So, what filler do you all use?

Cheers

Andy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Guys
    Back on this pre Xmas theme, I have tried left handed and I'm confident it's not for me and I haven't the patience to keep going with it. I'm clearly left eye dominant and right handed. So, that's what I'm going for.

I have tried the extreme stance but it strained too many muscles and over compensated, though an extra 20 degrees does help.

I've now tried bluetak and that has worked well. Time to use filler!

So, what filler do you all use?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Try Milliput epoxy filler.

This is available in several colours and the brown coloured type is the one that I have found to be the most acceptable, but black, white, and silver/grey colours are alternative choices.

When dry this Milliput is tough enough to be able to take a screw thread - but if you need to remove it in the future I have found that a sharp "tap" with a light hammer will cause it to fracture away from the wood leaving the original grip intact - but the wood underneath will need bit of a clean-up (as you would expect!).

Milliput can be kneaded like a dough after the two halves of the individually wrapped lengths are put together, and when you have got it on the grip and "more or less" formed to the shape you need it can be dampened with water and wiped over (I use my fingers for this) to make an ultra-smooth surface.

You can also wet your hand when the shape is getting close and hold the grip firmly to imprint your hand palm and fingers where desired.

When dry the surface can be stippled with a Dremel and fine burr to give a non-slip grip to the usual areas where a smooth surface is not required.

Hope this helps - Milliput has always worked well for me!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-01-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.