Thread: Removing Hydro type dipping from a stock?

Removing Hydro type dipping from a stock?

Tried a search but couldn’t really find anything.

I have a beech or maybe walnut stock that has been hydro type Camo dipped and was wondering how easy would it be to remove the dipping?

Is it a fairly straight forward job or best left to the experienced stock fettelers

If it’s the latter, anyone local with idle hands fancy some beer tokens

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I had a beech stock recheckered last year with skip line checkering and thought it would be a good idea to have it dipped in a fancy walnut, unfortunately the dipping filled in all the checkering, so I used paint stripper (the proper stuff you get off the bay) and it's taken most of it off but I'm struggling to get it out the checkering now, so I may take it too a furniture stripper to see if they can get it all off.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I had a beech stock recheckered last year with skip line checkering and thought it would be a good idea to have it dipped in a fancy walnut, unfortunately the dipping filled in all the checkering, so I used paint stripper (the proper stuff you get off the bay) and it's taken most of it off but I'm struggling to get it out the checkering now, so I may take it too a furniture stripper to see if they can get it all off.

Pete
    Cheers Pete,

I think I’ll probably leave it as is, it’s starting to grow on me

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    Don't suppose you have a pic of the walnut finish , thinking of doing the same .
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Tried a search but couldn’t really find anything.

I have a beech or maybe walnut stock that has been hydro type Camo dipped and was wondering how easy would it be to remove the dipping?

Is it a fairly straight forward job or best left to the experienced stock fettelers

If it’s the latter, anyone local with idle hands fancy some beer tokens
    Remember there's more to the dipping process than just laying the camo over the original varnish

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    Don't suppose you have a pic of the walnut finish , thinking of doing the same .
    thanks
    Nope sorry, it's almost all been removed, the one I went for was shite in the end and looked false, I wasn't overly impressed.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in