Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bespoke Gamo target style trigger unit.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Bespoke Gamo target style trigger unit.

Hi all,

I'm probably asking the wrong forum for this, due to this being a Weihrauch forum

But I'll take the risk as I'm sure someone might be interested

If a company was to produce a CD/Rekord style fully adjustable 2 stage trigger unit (not just a Welsh Willy or Charlie style trigger) that just slots in and replaces the horrid older Gamo metal trigger unit, would you think it would sell if it was cheap enough?

I've been talking to a guy who works for a Brazilian company called Quickshot who make drop in gas rams and Charlie style triggers for Gamo's and other makes and I've just asked him if a completely new designed Gamo trigger unit would be viable to make, personally I don't think they'd sell loads in the UK, may be to the UKCAF boys and tinkerers like me but I think the North and South America markets would do well.

I know what everyone is thinking and I agree it's probably a no brainer to just buy a HW99 and sort the galling issue than an El Cheapo Gamo/Chinese clone with a crap trigger and build quality.

What do you think?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I'd say it might be more likely that a Hatsan Quattro trigger may be added, due to the configuration of the piston latch (a rodless piston, with a cut out for the sear to locate into)

I'd be interested, Pete, I have an XS19 and the only thing that lets the gun down is the Gamo trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'd be interested, Pete, I have an XS19 and the only thing that lets the gun down is the Gamo trigger.
    Quickshot currently do a 2 stage trigger blade that I've been promised has a 2 stage feel with a crisp let off (it has another spring on the back, unlike the WW trigger), OK I know it's only going to be pseudo type trigger but considering most of the triggers on my rifles I own (apart from the Prosport) have pseudo type 2 stager triggers but I'd be happy with that, in my Brocock Indy I've tried a Charlie de tuna trigger and a Welsh Willy version and I can't seem to get any sort of second stage set up with either of them, I've actually put the original trigger blade back in as it's far better and I can get some sort of second stage feeling, it's not crisp and you have to pull slowly and really feel for the stop but it's there and for a Gamo trigger it's not bad.

I'm going to be putting in an order sometime in the new year, so if you want to buy one of their triggers then let me know and I'll add one to my order (they recon postage is going to be 40 Euro's via UPS) I'm going to be buying a few bits so the postage costs won't be so bad, I'm thinking of putting up a thread to see if anyone else is interested and would be happy to come in on the order and share towards the postage costs (it would only be a small amount towards the cost) if they do , Quickshot are currently working on an English website to aid in ordering, which I'd prefer to use than relying on Google translate (although it's not that bad to be honest) and the guy called Nelson I'm talking to via email has excellent English and is very knowledgeable about airguns and what Quickshot are selling.

I've just this second had a reply from Nelson and he says that they have been discussing about a complete new trigger unit and that my comments have now spurred him to carry on with the idea, it may even be worth waiting a few months to see if they actually do produce something worth while.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I'd say it might be more likely that a Hatsan Quattro trigger may be added, due to the configuration of the piston latch (a rodless piston, with a cut out for the sear to locate into)
    That's worth mentioning to him, I'm not overly clued up on Hatsans, so even if something like a new cassette type holder and modified sear was made to fit the Gamo action and the Quattro parts fitted to that might work.

Pete

It'll all be down to price I suppose.

I'm not an airgun "snob". Indeed, I like the "underdog" rifles.

I like my little Vipermax. It's accurate and I particularly like its synthetic stock. Best of all, it was a freebie!

The trigger I don't find too bad. I've never adjusted it. Pretty sure that I've read in the past that the adjustment provided wouldn't do anything for lightening the pull or making it crisper? Another thing I had read (maybe on US forums) was that they get better with use as they break in. And this has been the case with mine. It'll never be in the Rekord / CD / Diana trigger league, but it is predictable and, for the most part, consistent. Occasionally I'll witness the vague and spongy bit of travel where you'd expect it to break. But, I can work with this and the rifle will print tiny groups on paper down the garden and, at The Bash, has connected with The Bucket a fair few times and picking off the mid-range spinners is easy peasy.

In keeping with the overall ethos of the gun, I'd be reluctant to throw big chunks of money at an aftermarket trigger unit. I could maybe justify about a £40 spend, but would guess that it's unlikely that they'd be able to produce a good quality item at this sort of money and be commercially viable?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It'll all be down to price I suppose.

I'm not an airgun "snob". Indeed, I like the "underdog" rifles.

I like my little Vipermax. It's accurate and I particularly like its synthetic stock. Best of all, it was a freebie!

The trigger I don't find too bad. I've never adjusted it. Pretty sure that I've read in the past that the adjustment provided wouldn't do anything for lightening the pull or making it crisper? Another thing I had read (maybe on US forums) was that they get better with use as they break in. And this has been the case with mine. It'll never be in the Rekord / CD / Diana trigger league, but it is predictable and, for the most part, consistent. Occasionally I'll witness the vague and spongy bit of travel where you'd expect it to break. But, I can work with this and the rifle will print tiny groups on paper down the garden and, at The Bash, has connected with The Bucket a fair few times and picking off the mid-range spinners is easy peasy.

In keeping with the overall ethos of the gun, I'd be reluctant to throw big chunks of money at an aftermarket trigger unit. I could maybe justify about a £40 spend, but would guess that it's unlikely that they'd be able to produce a good quality item at this sort of money and be commercially viable?
    I can see where you're coming from Tone, in the past, when I didn't have a lot of money, I'd be thinking the same, I have a little bit more spare cash now, anyway project 'cock is one of those rare rifles that has stolen my heart, it's not one of those rifles that you pick up and your jaw drops in amazement at how good it is, far from it, it's just average but I just don't seem to mind spending money on it to improve it, every now and then I think about having a clear out and the Indy is the first rifle that gets looked at and then gets put back in the cupboard (it sort of looks at me in the same way as puss in boots does in the Shrek films when he wants you too feel sorry for him), buying the gas ram for it has opened up another avenue for me and hopefully Quickshots improved Charlie style trigger will finally be the two stage trigger (although pseudo style) I've been after for ages (the Charlie and Welsh Willy triggers failing miserably), Nelson (the guy from Quickshot) says that in Brazil, HW's and AA are highly expensive, so makes like Gamo are highly prised because of their cheapness and that's why the customisation of such rifles is so big over there, he told me it will take about six months after all the prototype work has been done to get something into production, so we'll see if anything turns up next year.

Pete

Know where you're coming from, Pete.

I had a fondle of, and a few pleasurable shots with the Brocock owned by Les at a Bash. Lovely little thing and, if I owned one, would be a keeper for sure.

Understand the price thing over there, too. Also in the States, where HW and AA command very high prices compared to many others, especially the home produced rifles. And Gamos offer a lot of performance and value. Plenty of "magnum power" models for their market, too? I also wonder if US ownership of Gamo has something to do with the prolific marketing over there?

Let's see how that trigger group idea develops.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if it also fits the mk1 rapids (same trigger) then that'll help with increasing your market size noticeably.

I too have had mixed results with the CDT trigger.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    if it also fits the mk1 rapids (same trigger) then that'll help with increasing your market size noticeably.

I too have had mixed results with the CDT trigger.
    I bought the very last Charlie trigger from B.A.R. and it wasn't until I received it that I found out it's not a two stager but a rolling target style trigger (according to his website), the WW trigger is no better and I've spent hours adjusting it to no avail, I've put a link up below to the two stages trigger they do (you may need to Google translate the page).

TRIGGER BLADE

Hopefully they are not just another "flash in the pan" and actually do what they are said to do, I do hope they do come through with a new trigger unit which doesn't cost a fortune.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

I'm probably asking the wrong forum for this, due to this being a Weihrauch forum

But I'll take the risk as I'm sure someone might be interested

If a company was to produce a CD/Rekord style fully adjustable 2 stage trigger unit (not just a Welsh Willy or Charlie style trigger) that just slots in and replaces the horrid older Gamo metal trigger unit, would you think it would sell if it was cheap enough?

I've been talking to a guy who works for a Brazilian company called Quickshot who make drop in gas rams and Charlie style triggers for Gamo's and other makes and I've just asked him if a completely new designed Gamo trigger unit would be viable to make, personally I don't think they'd sell loads in the UK, may be to the UKCAF boys and tinkerers like me but I think the North and South America markets would do well.

I know what everyone is thinking and I agree it's probably a no brainer to just buy a HW99 and sort the galling issue than an El Cheapo Gamo/Chinese clone with a crap trigger and build quality.

What do you think?

Pete
    i think it’s a great idea & I would be well up for it, great for us tinkerers.

Regards Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    i think it’s a great idea & I would be well up for it, great for us tinkerers.

Regards Graham
    I'm surprised someone hasn't done it already considering how many Gamo's and clones are out there and the trigger always seems to be the most talked about problem with them, as already mentioned if it fits the Theoben Rapid, then even better and if someone could come up with some sort of fix for the Theoben rammers triggers then they could also be onto a winner.

Pete

Hi Pete
    Count me in for the trigger upgrade please, I love my Independent and a nicer trigger on it would be fantastic.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Hi Pete
    Count me in for the trigger upgrade please, I love my Independent and a nicer trigger on it would be fantastic.
    Les..
    Les, I'm going to be putting an order in sometime early next year for some parts including trigger blades (they do one for a Cometa Fenix 400 as well), are you interested in the trigger blade shown above? if so then I'll order as many needed, to keep the postage costs down.

Not sure if I've mentioned it yet but Nelson recons it will take at least six months to get a prototype trigger mechanism into production, so until then the trigger shown above will have to do.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Les, I'm going to be putting an order in sometime early next year for some parts including trigger blades (they do one for a Cometa Fenix 400 as well), are you interested in the trigger blade shown above? if so then I'll order as many needed, to keep the postage costs down.

Not sure if I've mentioned it yet but Nelson recons it will take at least six months to get a prototype trigger mechanism into production, so until then the trigger shown above will have to do.

Pete
    Hi Pete
    Yeah I'm in.
    Is there an option regarding the colour ?,ie gold-black-silver ?.
    Les..