Thread: Diana 27 Strip

Thumbs up Diana 27 Strip

On today's Pyramydair Blog, Part 1 of the Diana 27 strip / refurb.

Having never owned one, and never having worked on a Diana with the ball bearing trigger, I'll be finding this one quite interesting.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

If you try the 3 ball trigger you will have fun. Initially it can look a bit of a puzzle but by the time you have stripped / asembled / stripped / assembled it they bacome fairly easy but I think a compressor is needed to hold the action firmly while you do it. I have posted a few posts over in the Idiots Guide on doing the 3 ball if you want to get a feel for it.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil.

As mentioned, I don't own one, but it's always interesting to see how the innards of various springers work. The only Diana I own is a 24D with the T01 trigger. You never know, though, one day......And the 27 does look a nice little rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I just bought an old Diana 27 for £50. Thought I was a bit expensive till I realised it was a pre-war model with the 2 stage trigger as used in the first model Webley MK 111. These are built like a tank, and re-building it found the trigger easy to assemble as long as you remember to put in the tiny spring which pushes down on the sear before sliding the whole assembly into the main tube. Looking at it I reckon a lot of old boys forgot this spring which made them think the first Webley MK 111 trigger was broke and not catching the piston rod. Thereby giving the trigger a bad reputation.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    If you try the 3 ball trigger you will have fun. Initially it can look a bit of a puzzle but by the time you have stripped / asembled / stripped / assembled it they bacome fairly easy but I think a compressor is needed to hold the action firmly while you do it. I have posted a few posts over in the Idiots Guide on doing the 3 ball if you want to get a feel for it.
    Cheers, Phil
    And thank you Phil for taking the trouble, I will need that when I do my Original Diana 35 ...

Will you be bringing it to The Bash in April, Al?

Mick told me the secret was to grease balls before insertion . GBBI

And Part Two, with some very nice, clear photos of the trigger components in today's instalment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Mick told me the secret was to grease balls before insertion . GBBI
    It’s always good to grease your balls.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Excellent reference, thank you. I can also report that the trigger will work with only 2 balls although not recommended. I once stripped a 35 to find only 2 balls and a broken cage. The rifle cocked and shot OK but I do not think it could have been described as totally safe. Parts for the trigger assembly are not easy to find, or at least were not last time I looked some years ago, but maybe are available from a shop in Germany. The balls are standard cycle bearing size.
    Cheers, Phil

T01 with safety

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Thanks Phil.

As mentioned, I don't own one, but it's always interesting to see how the innards of various springers work. The only Diana I own is a 24D with the T01 trigger. You never know, though, one day......And the 27 does look a nice little rifle.
    The 24D and later models with a safety have a few more parts. The 27 is easy, but I use “slave” pins to do the later T01 guns with the safety. In this way they come apart as a unit with no loose parts. The T05 can use the same method.

The slave pins can just be roll pins of correct diameter that are just slightly shorter than the ID of the receiver. After the spring compressor takes the pressure off, the slave pins are tapped in to drive out the real pins. Backing off the compressor then has the whole bit coming out in one piece.

Having a great aversion to small trigger parts, I just leave it all assembled. Cleaning is done with aerosol brake parts cleaner, and lube is your favorite grease on a cotton swab.

As an aside, the 27 barrel will swap right on to your 24D.

Thank you for your Stateside contribution.

I have never felt the need to tinker with my 24D as it shoots and cocks very smoothly.

Our resident #1 Diana FanBoy, BarryG, pointed the T01 trigger set-up out to me when I enquired a few years ago, but further contributions always welcomed.

Surprised that Barry's been quiet on this one.

Diana 35

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Cheers, Phil
    Where can i find the idiots guide doing the trigger please

Quote Originally Posted by Alanok2002 View Post
    Where can i find the idiots guide doing the trigger please
    The Idiots Guide is a sticky over in Collectables. There is a link there to the index for the Guides but the threads you may find useful are numbers: 61, 62 and 92.

Cheers, Phil

Looks like we're having fun getting the piston seal off.