Thread: Sending/taking an air rifle abroad

Question Sending/taking an air rifle abroad

Hi,

Still fairly new to the forum but I've enjoyed my time here so far, such a wealth of information.

Both myself and the old boy have been entertained with shooting in the back garden with his old HW35, which I have home tuned thanks to this forum and a TBT drop in kit. So much so that he wants a gun out in Poland (holiday home).

I've not looked into too much depth but are there any issues with buying a second hand rifle here, doing a home tune and driving/posting it there?
    Poland has a 13lbft limit so the power isn't an issue (reading Wiki).

My main concern is Germany. If we drive out could there be an issue?

While I'm at it any recommendations on what to get? Im thinking .22 maybe a HW95 or a HW99. The garden is long 100+m and there are fields out the back so long range would be the idea.
    Must be a springer as he's not going to faf about with pumps or tanks.

Many thanks.

Being as you are driving you will be crossing borders even though there is supposed to be open travel in Europe you could be stoped. Have a look at a European fire arms permit the details are on line. My boy was posted to a Germany and he got one. A pain in the butt geting one in the UK as sup 12lbs is not a fire arms cert item. You will also need to tell the ferry company or the shuttle one that you are carrying a sub 12lbs air rifle it will have to be kept locked in the car and secure.

Quote Originally Posted by pigeondave View Post
    Hi,

Still fairly new to the forum but I've enjoyed my time here so far, such a wealth of information.

Both myself and the old boy have been entertained with shooting in the back garden with his old HW35, which I have home tuned thanks to this forum and a TBT drop in kit. So much so that he wants a gun out in Poland (holiday home).

I've not looked into too much depth but are there any issues with buying a second hand rifle here, doing a home tune and driving/posting it there?
    Poland has a 13lbft limit so the power isn't an issue (reading Wiki).

My main concern is Germany. If we drive out could there be an issue?

While I'm at it any recommendations on what to get? Im thinking .22 maybe a HW95 or a HW99. The garden is long 100+m and there are fields out the back so long range would be the idea.
    Must be a springer as he's not going to faf about with pumps or tanks.

Many thanks.

Germany has a 6ftlb limit, so you cannot simply drive through it or you are risking being caught with a 'firearm'. Posting is an option or flying with it, I have flown several times, and you have to declare it and pay extra, but it's fairly straight forward, but not all airlines take air rifles.

Polish airgun law is similar to UK law except you can't hunt with an air gun. There are a lot of clubs there, and shops. Why not just buy one out there?

Here is one shop:

https://www.militaria.pl/

If for son reads Polish, here is a Polish airgun forum where you can buy second had for similar prices to this BBS:

http://forum-bron.pl/

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Here is one shop:

https://www.militaria.pl/

If for son reads Polish, here is a Polish airgun forum where you can buy second had for similar prices to this BBS:

http://forum-bron.pl/
    Never thought of the forums. Good call. I was there over the weekend and there is only a small sports shop in town that sold a couple of Crossman rifles.
    I dont get out there all that much so the reason for getting one here was to tinker here (polish it all up internally) and send it out with him.

I'll have a gander at the forums.

Hi Dave , if You bought one here and as You said You are going to tinker with it , could You not just remove the spring before driving over ?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pjw18 View Post
    Hi Dave , if You bought one here and as You said You are going to tinker with it , could You not just remove the spring before driving over ?

Paul
    Thats what i was thinking. Is it still classified as a firearm in Germany if the spring is removed and in the post and the rifle is in the car?
    As long as the two are apart (not in the same car) I couldn't see a problem.

Just means that the old man has to reassemble when the bits show up. Im sure even he can do that

Quote Originally Posted by pigeondave View Post
    Thats what i was thinking. Is it still classified as a firearm in Germany if the spring is removed and in the post and the rifle is in the car?
    As long as the two are apart (not in the same car) I couldn't see a problem.

Just means that the old man has to reassemble when the bits show up. Im sure even he can do that
    But don't German guns have to have an "F" in a pentagon stamp to show they are legal there. If a gun does't have the mark they would probably class it as a firearm automatically, spring in it or not.

Many years ago we were collared by German motorway cops for having studded tyres. It was winter and the car was Swedish registered.

No matter, they fined us and then sat in their warm 911 and watched us remove every tiny spike from the tyres with a screwdriver and pliers. It was freezing and bloody hard work.

They got stroppy over 3mm metal spikes. Would you chance it with airgun (or in law, firearm) parts?

I wouldn't.

ISTR Rob F went FT Worlds in Germany and they had to get special paperwork from the German government/polizei/ Merkel to take their rifles over?