Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some 99S & silencer/mod questions...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Some 99S & silencer/mod questions...

So, I've finally decided to get on the HW99S bandwagon and see what all the fuss is about. I've still not decided on calibre; I usually prefer .177 for general purpose & bunny shooting but I do like a .22 for short range ferals & rats, plus I hear that the 99S is particularly sweet in the 'proper blokes' calibre when fettled...

So, bearing in mind that for a while at least this little rifle will be a 'do all' for me, would the 99S experts recommend it in .177 or .22? I suppose I could always buy one of each at some point, but I'd prefer summat like a 97k in .177 if I'm honest.

On to the next part. Eventually I'd like to pimp it up a bit with a decent tune, possibly a shortened barrel and a nice 'slimtech' style blued silencer. I had one of these on a HW95 and they really suit the HW break-barrels but I can't seem to find one anywhere online. I have seen threads for 'Konceptus' but can't find the website & it seems he may have ceased trading.

Does anyone do these slimline blued steel or alloy silencers now? If so, a link would be much appreciated!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

There was a thread on here a month or two back with pic's of a Gorgeous mod someone had made.
    bit of a search/trawl & you should find it.

They're nice in either calibre, although, as you mention, a little "softer" in .22 (depending on tune). The firing cycle, even out of the box, is very nice even in tiddly form. If going for a .177, they always seem nicer if you don't run it above about 10.5.

Pretty sure you'd be happy with either.....flip a coin and enjoy.

As regards a silencer, I'm not sure if Steve from V-Mach can supply? Maybe contact him directly and ask?

Alternatively, if sound suppression is not sought after, maybe Jonny Neate could do you a lovely little muzzle weight / sleeve? He turns out some lovely stuff.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I am no expert on the 99s , but my .22 cal version shoots rea nice with the standard set up. I have a very nice barrel weight in blued steel on my gun and it as tamed the hold sensitivity for me.
    Dm80 on this forum does some very nice mods and barrel weight's.
    The.22 guns are generally less twitchy at the 11+Ft/lbs.
    Atb
    Les..

Thanks gents, I've just found that our very own Mr Tinbum does barrel sleeves for these, so I could be tempted by one of those!

I think I'm going to go for .22 first as it sounds like they don't need much at all doing to them in that calibre, maybe just a strip/clean/relube. My aim for this one is a handy short-range plinker/ratter anyway so the bigger calibre will suit it well, I think.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

It will fulfill the short range plinker / ratter role with ability and finesse to spare and can often put to shame larger, more expensive rifles at longer range duties. All in a handy, lightweight package. And not much more money (if any, in certain cases) than many much more budget built guns.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

best hw around

Do not mess around with perfection by thinking of chopping the 99 barrel. Put a tinbum barrel sleeve on that will do nothing but good. i have had many 99s most in the best calibre for me which is .177. I have today received one of Nicks barrel sleeves i must be his best customer for them i cant remember how many i have had. Forget a moderator the gun really does not need one. If you are a member of the other forum if you pm me from there i can pm you a pic of my two one with a pic of mine wearing a tinbum sleeve and the other with a Shauny barrel weight. The best little gun you can buy.

Thanks Pete, I'm not on another forum but the sleeve option certainly sounds good.

At this rate I might be buying one in each calibre and putting the 97k wish list on hold!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I have both, had the 177 a couple of months, & it ran at 12ftlb out of the box & has taken some taming, i use it for 10m/6yd shooting. I got a 22 version 2 weeks ago as like you i needed something for short distance pest control, having sold my 25 80 as i hadn't had any rats to shoot for 6 months.....The 22 in contrast struggled with making 9.5ftlb, but now its shot a tin of pellets, its running at 10.9 with jsb 5.53 exacts, which is just what i want, i will get a cocking aid/barrel weight after Christmas, which should control the flip, & stop my gloved hand slipping off the barrel.

Get one, they are a great little rifle in 177 & 22, as Pete will tell you not good in the other cals or with short barrels

Thanks Rob, that's interesting. I've ordered one in .22 and also a guide kit & muzzle weight from Tinbum; unfortunately he's sold all the barrel sleeves and not doing more...

I'll decide once I get it whether to shorten the barrel. I had heard lots of good reports with no negatives for a shorter barrel but hearing what you and Pete say, I might leave as is.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I'd be leaving the barrel as is, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    At this rate I might be buying one in each calibre and putting the 97k wish list on hold!
    Don't forget SFS Snipe in .25 !

Thanks Rob, that's interesting. I've ordered one in .22 and also a guide kit & muzzle weight from Tinbum; unfortunately he's sold all the barrel sleeves and not doing more...

I'll decide once I get it whether to shorten the barrel. I had heard lots of good reports with no negatives for a shorter barrel but hearing what you and Pete say, I might leave as is.
    You'll affect the nice soft shot cycle by shortening the barrel.
    You'll lose power and have to make it back up with more preload on the spring.

I'm sure you're aware but the 99 will need a little minor surgery to prevent it galling too.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    You'll affect the nice soft shot cycle by shortening the barrel.
    You'll lose power and have to make it back up with more preload on the spring.

I'm sure you're aware but the 99 will need a little minor surgery to prevent it galling too.
    Not always the case Rob, neither of mine have suffered with it, or needed work to prevent it. There is a South African member on another site who's chopped the barrel on one of his 177's to 10" & says it has no probs making the right power, i think he said 750fps but didn't say with what weight pellet.

Rob

Mine in 22 shoots best with jsb exacts in 5.52, didn't like ftt's, wasn't bad with aa fields in 551 so would probably like them in 552, also liked aa hunters but i only had a sample pack. Gave good consistant readings over the chrono with Bis superfields, but wasn't accurate with them, i have some falcons, but gave poor power readings with them so haven't tried them at 25m.
    Not fitted a tbt kit in it yet, but will do in the new year, i have one in my 95, which also has a tbt short stroke kit in it & that is so smooth to shoot & easy to cock, you would think it was low on power, not running at mid 11's.

Rob