Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum range a 12ftlb pellet will travel?

dttlincs Guest

Maximum range a 12ftlb pellet will travel?

Was just thinking about this. Anyone know the farthest both a 0.177 + a 0.22 will travel?

daystate 4.51's, 800fps..... 438yds, 23deg angle, .319ft/lb terminal energy at a guess

deathshed Guest
    put it down the seat on a 737 and that would be pretty far

Depends what planet your on. Seriously though i doubt there is a single factor, it would depend on a lot of things, like the weather conditions and what angle the gun is at.

something like 600 odd yards held at 25 degrees for .177
    500 odd yards for a .22
    (both at 12ft/lb)
    check out chairgun m8
    He who never made a mistake never learned anything!
    He who never missed never shot!

dttlincs Guest
    Cheers.
    Just thinking from the safety point of veiw.

Quote Originally Posted by dttlincs
    Cheers.
    Just thinking from the safety point of veiw.

As far as your backstop then...

Jason

"You see I'm against hunting, in fact I'm a hunt saboteur. I go out the night before and shoot the fox." - Tim Vine

dttlincs Guest
    As far as your backstop then...

Yes obviously when I am target shooting that is the case! But in a hunting situation most people do not have a remote control backstop. And anyone who says that they never miss and/or the pellet never travels on through the quarry are telling porkies! Seriously though I am just looking for some info.

Paul .177 Guest
    If you're standing and shooting horizontal then about 120 yards as the drop would be about 6 foot.

egoshooter Guest
    No more than 200meters thats sure! A lawyer has been there for testifying.

Tested on a water channel with 12ft/lb, Daystate pellets, mounted rifle, no wind at all and different angles.
    The distances of the hits on the water surface were taken by two friends with laser rangefinder and measure tape.

Why not more than 200? The pellet becomes a more and more unstable flight and lose to much energy.

Best regards

Arne
    Last edited by egoshooter; 02-10-2005 at 10:16 PM.

I can assure you lawyers or no lawyers the rabbits scatter at over 300 yards with 7.9gr Crossmans at 819ft/sec.
    Would not trust a laser, certainly over water.
    20 to 30 degrees is about right from memory.

egoshooter Guest
    Maybe the rabbits getting very amused and die
    We had to make the evidence how far a pellet with a 12ft/pd rifle can shoot for our intended shooting grounds.
    Similar tests were carried out in the US but they are not sufficient to our authorities so we have done it again by our self.
    The rifle was checked before over a chrono and a measure tape is not beaten. The laser was used by the “receiver” of the pellet and measured always my rifle.
    And when the wind comes in to play no one pellet goes further than 150 meters.

Best regards

Arne

dttlincs Guest
    cheers everyone for the info

jgs177 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by egoshooter
    We had to make the evidence how far a pellet with a 12ft/pd rifle can shoot for our intended shooting grounds.
    Similar tests were carried out in the US but they are not sufficient to our authorities so we have done it again by our self.
    The rifle was checked before over a chrono and a measure tape is not beaten. The laser was used by the “receiver” of the pellet and measured always my rifle.

Best regards

Arne
    Have been trying to find the answer to this myself for ages. May I ask was this test carried out using different calibre/pellet weights. Do you have a link to the tests carried out in America please. Wonder if they did the tests with Magmun air rifles also (as I own one).

Thanks John

figjam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by egoshooter

Best regards

Arne
    what planet you on !!!!!!!

so when me a very good friend also on this board and a well knowledgable and experianced shooter, were zeroing at 140 yds, and managing to get groups on an A4 sheet of paper ( about 6 1/2 -7 inches), your telling me that the pellet just dropped of for the last 10 yds!!!!

oh, any one who is interested youll find that the pellets which struck the 4"x4" post were embedded aswell!( almost half way)

heres the scenario!

well known scottish gamefair, everyone gone home and were talking away to the estate keeper, then came the subject of power and distance)

before you know it we have positioned a bench and two chairs, i was using a AA S300 at the time and it was putting out 11.94 ftlbs, using crossman premiere .22!

if i rememeber we ran out of elevation and we were aiming about 2/3 rds of the way down the scope for our zero!
    we measured the post out at 140 yds and promptly plaeced our zeroing paper up!

so i can assure you that your .22 pellets go a wee bit further than what you're stating!

im also confused athow you got a reading from a laser range finder of water??

(p.s. the rifle was as near as dammit horizontal)
    sorry couldnt be more precise but we forgot our protractors that weekend)

rgds

kenny