Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drones & airguns

Drones & airguns

I've just seen the bit on the news about the drones causing disruption at Gatwick and, to me, it smacked of having similarities to our situation with airguns ..

A niche hobby, mainly populated by enthusiasts.
    Seemingly enough laws and guidelines in place already.
    The odd knob head that will occasionally get hold of kit and abuse it.
    I dare say that legit drone flyers are quick to condemn misuse.
    Calls from the public for further controls.

I'm just thinking out loud here but, it looks to me like a joint effort between 2 groups of hobbyists could increase the numbers of people speaking up for these pastimes and, give us all a better chance of improving public opinion.

I have 5 air rifles and a drone - anything that helps certain members of society understand that we don't all want to bring down planes, look through your bathroom window or shoot cats, can't be a bad thing.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a4022191.html

https://dronesafe.uk/

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/New-drone...-safer-flying/

All of the above.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Good luck with that one. I fly drones and most people on here think I have it for the sole purpose of spying on their wives.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Good luck with that one. I fly drones and most people on here think I have it for the sole purpose of spying on their wives.
    Is there any other point?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Well they're now saying the Gatwick incident is deliberate with the drone regularly being flown in then vanishing again.

I'd think the last thing any shooter wants is to be associated with that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well they're now saying the Gatwick incident is deliberate with the drone regularly being flown in then vanishing again.

I'd think the last thing any shooter wants is to be associated with that sort of thing.
    Indeed but, that's what I'm saying - it's obviously just 1 or 2 idiots causing havoc by misusing drones

Thousands of people in the UK fly these without causing any problems yet, here they are getting bad press - this is where I saw the parallels with our sport.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

I see where you are coming from and tend to agree. There are clearly very genuine law abiding people with drones but this idiot could cause a tragedy the way things are going. I think we have enough on our plate as law abiding shooting enthusiasts without taking on another cause.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    It’s just an Amazon drone delivery gone wrong ...
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Idiots they have caused one hell of a lost of disruption for shits and giggles but more importantly risked people’s lives.

I hope they keep away from Stansted as the wife and daughter are flying in to night.

Drones can be worth while I had a roof leak and was quoted £500 just for scaffolding to have a look at the roof sod that. On to flea bay £60 for a cheap drone up it went and found the leak which was the water tank overflow putting ot a small amount of water which was going in between the tiles. So up in the loft went I adjusted the ballcock job done.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Nah mate..... i know you have better taste in ladies than that

Although i still reckon youve only got it for illicit purposes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud here but, it looks to me like a joint effort between 2 groups of hobbyists could increase the numbers of people speaking up for these pastimes and, give us all a better chance of improving public opinion.
    I have for many years thought that everyone in minority hobbies and pastimes might get their interests better served by some sort of umbrella group that represented all minority hobbyist groups and their right to quietly and lawfully enjoy their hobby.

It would increase the weight of numbers opposing the misinformation and hysteria coming from the baying mob of the media every time some idiot with little connection to the sport in question behaves like an idiot.

I don't know how one could bring that about, but I totally agree with you.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Why dont someone with an airgun shoot it down, and maybe get us airgunners some brownie points.

Much as with air guns in Scotland, the likely consequence is more legislation from a single high profile (in that case) tragic act of criminality.

On my reading, not only has this incident shown the potential utilty of drones to every terrorist, single-issue protestor, anarchist, blackmailer or general nutter, it has also already massively affected 100,000 people (including people I know), and cost Gatwick around £500k or more in lost revenue for every 24 hours that it persists.

That will, wholly understandably, drive a legislative response. Probably a drone license.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    TBH I was amazed at the loose regulation of drones, and believed it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

The magnitude and variety of criminal & terrorist activity that can be carried out with late generation drones vastly exceeds any trouble that can be caused with a sub 12 fpe airgun and I don't think there is a comparison to be drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Why dont someone with an airgun shoot it down, and maybe get us airgunners some brownie points.
    Because it wouldn’t work, and the end result would be drone still OK and someone’s hurt dog or cat or child or smashed greenhouse or kitchen windows as the pellets came to earth. You can’t just loose off stuff in a built up area without taking the consequences into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    TBH I was amazed at the loose regulation of drones, and believed it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

The magnitude and variety of criminal & terrorist activity that can be carried out with late generation drones vastly exceeds any trouble that can be caused with a sub 12 fpe airgun and I don't think there is a comparison to be drawn.
    Indeed. As Daesh (ISIS) and Hamas have done, take a drone, and add an explosive or incendiary device. Cheap, simple, annoyingly effective.