Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stingray experts

Stingray experts

I have a Webley Stingray limited edition which I believe is an XK variant.
    Looking back through my airgun magazines I can’t seem to find much about it other than an image which has a different silencer fitted.
    As far as I’m aware it only came with a golden coloured trigger, sling swivels and open sights.

Where there two versions?

What was the approximate date of manufacture?

We’re they available with a walnut stock?

How much is it worth?

My Express limited edition is quite a different rifle.
    Last edited by norris; 21-12-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Stingray.

Webley Stingray..Webley Stringray Karbine, Webley Stingray Deluxe, Webley Stingray Express. So four models. Mach 1.5

Sounds odd. AFAIK, the only Stingray with open sights was the base rifle or carbine, both in beech. Carbine with a muzzle weight.

There was then, as Mach says, a Deluxe walnut carbine with no irons, but a “muzzle brake” thingy, and the Express, again with no irons, but a Venom Slimtech suppressor.

Swivels are probably a contemporary aftermarket addition, not a factory item.

Any chance of some pictures?

I vaguely remember them being mentioned at the Webley stand at the Midland game fair.
    The swivels were factory fitted.
    Last edited by norris; 21-12-2018 at 07:25 PM.

I may be wrong but i think one variant may have had a whalther barrel fitted?

Daryl

I bought the Express 1 of 200 new , Still have it and it was sold with the walnut stock , Barrel and silencer had a slightly better finish to it, Bought not long after my hw97 centenary so about 2000 /2001 sort of time, From what I can remember.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Oh, bugger - wrong "Stingray"

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by muzzle View Post

Daryl
    The Longbow and the later Tomahawks had LW barrels. I think those were the only ones that did.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzle View Post
    Daryl
    Stingray Express LE

To my knowledge there are the following models-

Stingray Standard beech stock.
    Stingray Carbine beech stock.
    Stingray Deluxe Carbine or Standard barrel length with a walnut stock, muzzle weight,threaded barrel and no open sights (2001 200th edition catalogue)

Stingray Express Carbine limited edition of 200 (2004?), walnut stock, Lother Walther choked barrel,Venom slim tech silencer, no sights and certificate.

Stingray XK limited edition carbine (circa.2006) beech stock (no idea if a walnut stock was available?), open sights,sling swivels and silencer.

Stingray advert from Norris :-

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Stingray advert from Norris :-

image.jpg
    Thanks for posting that for me, my attempts failed.

Stingray..

So the XK just had sling swivels, gold trigger blade and a scope. Sounds like Webley were just trying to shift the last of them to the public has those extras aren't really nothing special and you can add those to a normal carbine. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    So the XK just had sling swivels, gold trigger blade and a scope. Sounds like Webley were just trying to shift the last of them to the public has those extras aren't really nothing special and you can add those to a normal carbine. Mach 1.5
    A fair hypothesis. Would like to know the date on that DAI advert. If, as suggested above, 2006, then it is around the time of the Great Webley Collapse. Feels like someone trying to shift stock quickly to cut their losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    A fair hypothesis. Would like to know the date on that DAI advert. If, as suggested above, 2006, then it is around the time of the Great Webley Collapse. Feels like someone trying to shift stock quickly to cut their losses.
    I have found adverts from Drapers, Ramsbottom and DIA, so far.
    From memory there was an announcement in the news section of one of the airgun magazines.I don't know if I still have that or where it is!
    The mounts and scope were something that DIA did as a combo deal, so it only came as a carbine with open sights,beech stock, moderator and gold trigger. A Stingray equivalent to the limited special edition Vulcan with gold trigger and safety catch?
    The adverts range from 2005 to 2006.
    Question is how many were produced?
    It may well had been a "stock shifting exercise" but it's still a limited edition!
    Even if 1000 were sold it's still 1in 1000!
    The Webley Vulcan deluxe with Walnut stock also had swivels fitted as standard and I guess other Webleys did as well.
    Last edited by norris; 30-12-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Stingray.

Got a copy of the advert in October 2006 Airgun World. Kit was £250. I think it was a marketing job by DAI as i never have seen this rifle advertised elsewhere and they were on the doorstep of webley so may have had a batch to shift? Mach 1.5