Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .177 HW30S and HW99S for MPL shooting.

.177 HW30S and HW99S for MPL shooting.

I have been shooting an HW30S in the MPL series and it is a lovely smooth and accurate little rifle, but I have found it a bit too small to fit me comfortably so I have been considering fitting the action into a bigger stock.

Old age has given me some problems with my back and shoulders and so crouching over a smaller sized rifle probably gives me more discomfort that it would have done a few years ago when I was younger and fitter. Without these problems I would stick with the HW30S "out of the box" as it is a superb little rifle that "does the job" perfectly!

As I was considering the amount of work and the costs involved in making a custom stock (or grafting it into an existing bigger stock) I saw an HW99S and thought I would give this a try instead as it could be a "ready made" fix that could save me a lot of work - and like the HW30S it was still a budget priced rifle that would make a good affordable choice.

The "S" part of the HW99S rifle type means that it shares the same superb "Record" trigger as the HW30s and being just a bit bigger it did feel a bit more comfortable for me to hold too - so I bought it!

I tested the '99S at the club last night and was really impressed with its accuracy over the 6 yard MPL distance and it was a little more comfortable for me to hold as well.

The rifle has more power than it needs for 6 yard paper punching so I am looking at reducing the power down to a similar level to the HW30S as that was more than good enough to punch nice sharp clean holes in the targets and the reduced power should also make it easier to cock too!

It is always tempting just to pull the SSP out of the cupboard and use that instead (and I sometimes have done in the past!), but I do enjoy the challenge of shooting with a simple recoiling springer as it is more in keeping with the original ethos of the MPL - keeping things simple and inexpensive to encourage more shooters to take part without having to worry about being "out-gunned" by those with better kit.

Does anyone else have any experience with target shooting with either of these recoiling springers that they would like to share?
    Last edited by zooma; 22-12-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

The only slight problem (as far as target shooting goes) is that I found my HW99S came with a "budget" front sight tunnel that would be more than adequate for shooting with open sights (or with a scope of course!) but it was not able to take any alternative front sight elements.

I borrowed a regular HW front sight tunnel off of an old HW35 that I have and fitted that instead.

Once this tunnel had been fitted I was able to fit a 3.8 plastic element as I have found this to be the perfect size for shooting target ( or bell target) at 6 yards.

I do not have any spare dioptre sights so I borrowed one from my Walther match rifle (I was in a hurry!) and it fitted OK but does not really have a strong enough clamping action for use on a springer - but it did get me shooting with my new HW99S quite quickly.

So I have started shooting with my HW99S with front and rear sights borrowed from other rifles - and it works well but I would like to treat it to its own set of sights that I can leave on the rifle permanently.

Hi Bob,

As you know i joined the mpl this year, i started with an 80, then got a 30(too small) & now have the 99, which suits me just fine, i have since got one in 22 as well.
    I fitted the williams peep sight i got off you & also changed the front sight to an HW one that i can change the elements on & have been experimenting with different one's, but not being from a target shooting back ground i know little about them.
    My 99 in 177 was doing 12ftlb out of the box, i ended up cutting 2 coils off the spring, taking it down to 9ftlb, then just shot it for a few weeks, it has probably shot 3000 pellets now, so Wednesday i decided to chrono it again & it had crept back up to 10 with r10 pellets, so another half a coil & its back down to 9, so another half a coil, will see it about right i think.
    Interestingly the 22 99 struggled to make 9.5 until it had been run in so to speak but is now doing just under 11 which is fine for me.

Rob

Took another half a coil off, & the rifle is now down to 7.6ftlb which seems to suit it, shot cycle feels faster ?

Love my little 30s in .22.
    I fitted a Bisley adjustable pad to mine to improve the reach, very pleased with it.
    Accurate out to stupid distances with Hobbys, of all pellets.

Last edited by Riffler; 21-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.

The HW30S makes an excellent paper puncher with the simplest of modifications.
    Here's a link to a piece I originally wrote for publication that didn't make the grade - hope it helps and encourages.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weih...er-t27568.html

For some reason we get the UK 99S model & it is fitted with a fixed hood & element foresight yet the 50S gets the usual HW fore sight with extra elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    The HW30S makes an excellent paper puncher with the simplest of modifications.
    Here's a link to a piece I originally wrote for publication that didn't make the grade - hope it helps and encourages.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weih...er-t27568.html
    Nice article thanks for sharing, i would like to do something similar with my 99, currently has a Williams peep sight & 80 front sight. I like the butt, but how do you store it ? mine are in a rack & i can't see that standing up.
    I have been thinking of the HW dayglo insert for the front sight.

Rob

Hello to All,

I use the below trio of HWs in the MPL :

HW30S - Vortek PG2 kit 7.8 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW99S - Full Shauny tune - 11.1 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW95 Super Match - Wonky Donky Extreme short-stroke tune - 8.7 ft.lb with RWS R10 Pistol (6.99 gr.), Centra score front tunnel with 4.6 mm Centra Glass element, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

The Gehmann 590s have been drilled & tapped to take a 3 mm screw to act as an arrestor. This is needed as most modern aperture sights do not have the clamping force needed on a recoiling springer.

Serously reducing a springers output, whilst maintaining a fast shot cycle is very, very difficult.

The Wonky Donky extreme short-stroke was the best that could be achieved - seriously lightened piston with bearings, piston extension to short stroke, and a long & soft spring.

The shot cycle is a quick as it was when the rifle made 11 ft.lb. - indeed, the shot cycle of the above rifles are much quicker than on 'traditional' recoiling 10m springers such as the Walther LG55 & LGV.

The experiences reducing the HW95s power, led me to leave the output of the 99S at 11 ft.lb, as the rifle is perfectly balanced at that output.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Nice article thanks for sharing, i would like to do something similar with my 99, currently has a Williams peep sight & 80 front sight. I like the butt, but how do you store it ? mine are in a rack & i can't see that standing up.
    I have been thinking of the HW dayglo insert for the front sight.

Rob
    Thanks Rob.

The gun stands up no problem in my repurposed cleaning brush/mop holder rack thingy from TK Maxx - I'd post a pic but I believe it's not a straightforward process on AirgunBBS.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Took another half a coil off, & the rifle is now down to 7.6ftlb which seems to suit it, shot cycle feels faster ?
    That sounds interesting Rob.

If you can keep the accuracy with the lower power it would surely be a good improvement for 6 yard paper punching as it would making cocking the rifle even easier and should make the trigger weight lower too!

..and you have achieved it just by chopping some coils off of the mainspring until it gives you the power you are looking for.

Good cheap "old school" home tuning that works!

Let me know how you get on after you have used it this way as i could be interested in chopping the spring on mine too!

Merry Christmas!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 22-12-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

I use the below trio of HWs in the MPL :

HW30S - Vortek PG2 kit 7.8 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW99S - Full Shauny tune - 11.1 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW95 Super Match - Wonky Donky Extreme short-stroke tune - 8.7 ft.lb with RWS R10 Pistol (6.99 gr.), Centra score front tunnel with 4.6 mm Centra Glass element, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

The Gehmann 590s have been drilled & tapped to take a 3 mm screw to act as an arrestor. This is needed as most modern aperture sights do not have the clamping force needed on a recoiling springer.

Serously reducing a springers output, whilst maintaining a fast shot cycle is very, very difficult.

The Wonky Donky extreme short-stroke was the best that could be achieved - seriously lightened piston with bearings, piston extension to short stroke, and a long & soft spring.

The shot cycle is a quick as it was when the rifle made 11 ft.lb. - indeed, the shot cycle of the above rifles are much quicker than on 'traditional' recoiling 10m springers such as the Walther LG55 & LGV.

The experiences reducing the HW95s power, led me to leave the output of the 99S at 11 ft.lb, as the rifle is perfectly balanced at that output.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

That's a seriously large lump for a grip that you have on your HW99S Russ!

......and that bright orange/yellow coloured stock make's it stand out even more - it makes my standard brown wood HW Minelli made stock look a little dull

Was this stock custom sprayed - or did HW actually get a bit enthusiastic and supply it that way?

I like the orange colour co-ordinated dioptre too - nice touch.

Is that a 'special" optional stock or is it a German spec. option that we don't have over here?

Bob,

I had many issues with the standard stock - the length of pull was made for a gorilla, the finger reach was ridiculous even with an extra-setback trigger.

In addition, the hand was in a very bent position when in place on the stock, and the finger placement on the trigger was terrible.

The 99S' stock was modified from the standard Minelli stock, using lolly sticks () and metal loaded epoxy car body filler, and much, much sanding.

The point was to get the hand in the correct, un-bent position on the rifle, with the trigger finger parallel to the barrel, and in the correct position for the finger pad to be at right angles to the trigger shoe.

Looks a bit Franken-stock, but it does work very well indeed Some cruel chappies have dubbed it the 'Elephant Man'

The easiest way to re-finish the stock after all the faffing & sanding was to paint it.

The stock was painted with three coats of grey car-primer, followed by four coats of Ford Electric Orange pearlescent paint

It is a bit 'sudden', but I think it doesn't look too bad at all

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Yes the reach on the 99 is stupidly long.

Bob, I cut a coil off the spring, then compressed & re finished both ends to get it level, but it was still doing 11. So shot it for a while, then took another half a coil off, then another half, bringing it down to 9.
    I then shot it for a few weeks, & found it had crept back up to 10, so another half a coil got it down to just under 9, with r10 pellets, & 7.8 with hobby. So another half a coil got it down to 7.6 with hobby's & thats enough.
    Both ends are compressed & the spring ground flat to make it level, which accounts for the small drop in power. The shot cycle though now feels faster, just need a bit of shooting in to see how it goes now.

Interestingly, i have since also purchased a 22 version, which was low on power to start, & when i took out the spring, the 177 spring with 2 coils removed was the same length as the standard spring out of the 22 version.

Rob

As these are supplied in 6ftlb on the continent you could buy a domestic spec spring from Germany to save chopping your existing spring.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)