Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 HW30S and HW99S for MPL shooting.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Bob,

As you know i joined the mpl this year, i started with an 80, then got a 30(too small) & now have the 99, which suits me just fine, i have since got one in 22 as well.
    I fitted the williams peep sight i got off you & also changed the front sight to an HW one that i can change the elements on & have been experimenting with different one's, but not being from a target shooting back ground i know little about them.
    My 99 in 177 was doing 12ftlb out of the box, i ended up cutting 2 coils off the spring, taking it down to 9ftlb, then just shot it for a few weeks, it has probably shot 3000 pellets now, so Wednesday i decided to chrono it again & it had crept back up to 10 with r10 pellets, so another half a coil & its back down to 9, so another half a coil, will see it about right i think.
    Interestingly the 22 99 struggled to make 9.5 until it had been run in so to speak but is now doing just under 11 which is fine for me.

Rob

Took another half a coil off, & the rifle is now down to 7.6ftlb which seems to suit it, shot cycle feels faster ?

Love my little 30s in .22.
    I fitted a Bisley adjustable pad to mine to improve the reach, very pleased with it.
    Accurate out to stupid distances with Hobbys, of all pellets.

Last edited by Riffler; 21-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.

The HW30S makes an excellent paper puncher with the simplest of modifications.
    Here's a link to a piece I originally wrote for publication that didn't make the grade - hope it helps and encourages.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weih...er-t27568.html

For some reason we get the UK 99S model & it is fitted with a fixed hood & element foresight yet the 50S gets the usual HW fore sight with extra elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    The HW30S makes an excellent paper puncher with the simplest of modifications.
    Here's a link to a piece I originally wrote for publication that didn't make the grade - hope it helps and encourages.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weih...er-t27568.html
    Nice article thanks for sharing, i would like to do something similar with my 99, currently has a Williams peep sight & 80 front sight. I like the butt, but how do you store it ? mine are in a rack & i can't see that standing up.
    I have been thinking of the HW dayglo insert for the front sight.

Rob

Hello to All,

I use the below trio of HWs in the MPL :

HW30S - Vortek PG2 kit 7.8 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW99S - Full Shauny tune - 11.1 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW95 Super Match - Wonky Donky Extreme short-stroke tune - 8.7 ft.lb with RWS R10 Pistol (6.99 gr.), Centra score front tunnel with 4.6 mm Centra Glass element, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

The Gehmann 590s have been drilled & tapped to take a 3 mm screw to act as an arrestor. This is needed as most modern aperture sights do not have the clamping force needed on a recoiling springer.

Serously reducing a springers output, whilst maintaining a fast shot cycle is very, very difficult.

The Wonky Donky extreme short-stroke was the best that could be achieved - seriously lightened piston with bearings, piston extension to short stroke, and a long & soft spring.

The shot cycle is a quick as it was when the rifle made 11 ft.lb. - indeed, the shot cycle of the above rifles are much quicker than on 'traditional' recoiling 10m springers such as the Walther LG55 & LGV.

The experiences reducing the HW95s power, led me to leave the output of the 99S at 11 ft.lb, as the rifle is perfectly balanced at that output.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

I use the below trio of HWs in the MPL :

HW30S - Vortek PG2 kit 7.8 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW99S - Full Shauny tune - 11.1 ft.lb with JSB Express (7.87 gr.), 3mm post front site, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

HW95 Super Match - Wonky Donky Extreme short-stroke tune - 8.7 ft.lb with RWS R10 Pistol (6.99 gr.), Centra score front tunnel with 4.6 mm Centra Glass element, Gehmann 590 rear-sight, Anschutz 9775 0.5 --> 3 aperture.

The Gehmann 590s have been drilled & tapped to take a 3 mm screw to act as an arrestor. This is needed as most modern aperture sights do not have the clamping force needed on a recoiling springer.

Serously reducing a springers output, whilst maintaining a fast shot cycle is very, very difficult.

The Wonky Donky extreme short-stroke was the best that could be achieved - seriously lightened piston with bearings, piston extension to short stroke, and a long & soft spring.

The shot cycle is a quick as it was when the rifle made 11 ft.lb. - indeed, the shot cycle of the above rifles are much quicker than on 'traditional' recoiling 10m springers such as the Walther LG55 & LGV.

The experiences reducing the HW95s power, led me to leave the output of the 99S at 11 ft.lb, as the rifle is perfectly balanced at that output.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

That's a seriously large lump for a grip that you have on your HW99S Russ!

......and that bright orange/yellow coloured stock make's it stand out even more - it makes my standard brown wood HW Minelli made stock look a little dull

Was this stock custom sprayed - or did HW actually get a bit enthusiastic and supply it that way?

I like the orange colour co-ordinated dioptre too - nice touch.

Is that a 'special" optional stock or is it a German spec. option that we don't have over here?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Nice article thanks for sharing, i would like to do something similar with my 99, currently has a Williams peep sight & 80 front sight. I like the butt, but how do you store it ? mine are in a rack & i can't see that standing up.
    I have been thinking of the HW dayglo insert for the front sight.

Rob
    Thanks Rob.

The gun stands up no problem in my repurposed cleaning brush/mop holder rack thingy from TK Maxx - I'd post a pic but I believe it's not a straightforward process on AirgunBBS.

I like the butt, but how do you store it ? mine are in a rack & i can't see that standing up.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I have sent you a link so you can see the adjustable Bisley butt plate that I have fitted to a couple of my HW rifles.

They are made from alloy with a rubber shoulder pad and the adjustment available can make the fit of your rifle feel much better.

My rifles are kept a rack and there is no problem storing them this way with this adjustable butt plate fitted - they are also good value for money and can be bought for lees than £20 **so it is not an expensive option to try.

These butt plates come with an oversize back plate that can be filed to fit your rifle butt exactly so they look like they are a "factory fit". I am really pleased with the ones that I have fitted and I am sending away for another one today to fit my HW99S for use in the new MPL series.

If you sell your rifle the Bisley butt plate can be unscrewed and replaced with your original one again!

Hope this helps!

Bob.

** I just ordered one for my HW99S this morning from the link I sent to you for £18.95 including postage !
    Last edited by zooma; 04-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks Bob, that & a set back trigger on the 99 would be just about perfect !

Quote Originally Posted by Riffler View Post
    Love my little 30s in .22.
    I fitted a Bisley adjustable pad to mine to improve the reach, very pleased with it.
    Accurate out to stupid distances with Hobbys, of all pellets.

Nice barrel sleeve - who supplies these?

Now have the Paul Short set back trigger fitted to my 99

Now have the Paul Short set back trigger fitted to my 99

My Bisley adjustable butt pad arrive this morning - I have not had time to fit it yet but I will get it done this week.

Please let me know if your set back trigger helps you with the trigger reach (enough to justify buying it) coz if it works I will need to find out where to order one from !

Limited shooting so far, but yes it has made a difference, waiting for the butt pad now