Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .177 HW30S and HW99S for MPL shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

I had many issues with the standard stock - the length of pull was made for a gorilla, the finger reach was ridiculous even with an extra-setback trigger.

In addition, the hand was in a very bent position when in place on the stock, and the finger placement on the trigger was terrible.

The 99S' stock was modified from the standard Minelli stock, using lolly sticks () and metal loaded epoxy car body filler, and much, much sanding.

The point was to get the hand in the correct, un-bent position on the rifle, with the trigger finger parallel to the barrel, and in the correct position for the finger pad to be at right angles to the trigger shoe.

Looks a bit Franken-stock, but it does work very well indeed Some cruel chappies have dubbed it the 'Elephant Man'

The easiest way to re-finish the stock after all the faffing & sanding was to paint it.

The stock was painted with three coats of grey car-primer, followed by four coats of Ford Electric Orange pearlescent paint

It is a bit 'sudden', but I think it doesn't look too bad at all

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    I think the special Rally Sport colour makes it an "RS" special edition HW99S

Maybe you could ask Cosworth to tune it for you too!
    Last edited by zooma; 23-12-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    As these are supplied in 6ftlb on the continent you could buy a domestic spec spring from Germany to save chopping your existing spring.
    Rich.
    Hi Rich,

Now that may not be a bad idea as it would save a lot of time and work and the original spring could also be kept - or used to experiment with!

Do you happen to know a good supplier in Germany that has these 6 ft/lb springs and can supply them at a reasonable price?

I will probably chop my spring in any case as I like 'fiddling" about, but being able to buy a new 6 ft/lb spring would be very interesting to try and see how it worked straight "out of the box".

Bob.

I'd be interested, even though iv'e had"a fiddle" with mine

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    I like the butt, but how do you store it ? mine are in a rack & i can't see that standing up.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I have sent you a link so you can see the adjustable Bisley butt plate that I have fitted to a couple of my HW rifles.

They are made from alloy with a rubber shoulder pad and the adjustment available can make the fit of your rifle feel much better.

My rifles are kept a rack and there is no problem storing them this way with this adjustable butt plate fitted - they are also good value for money and can be bought for lees than £20 **so it is not an expensive option to try.

These butt plates come with an oversize back plate that can be filed to fit your rifle butt exactly so they look like they are a "factory fit". I am really pleased with the ones that I have fitted and I am sending away for another one today to fit my HW99S for use in the new MPL series.

If you sell your rifle the Bisley butt plate can be unscrewed and replaced with your original one again!

Hope this helps!

Bob.

** I just ordered one for my HW99S this morning from the link I sent to you for £18.95 including postage !
    Last edited by zooma; 04-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks Bob, that & a set back trigger on the 99 would be just about perfect !

Rob,

That is why my HW99S got the Rowen extra-setback trigger, and the 'FrankenStock' mods.

I really don't know why the trigger reach & length of pull are soooooo long on modern HWs

Germans on average don't seem to have extra-long fingers and/or gorilla length arms !

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Ordered my set back trigger from Paul Short, went into the local gunshop this morning to find that they had sold the last adjustable butt pad yesterday

Just got an adjustable butt from JSR for £13, combined with a pellet order makes it worth while
    Last edited by robthedog; 05-01-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Ordered my set back trigger from Paul Short, went into the local gunshop this morning to find that they had sold the last adjustable butt pad yesterday

Just got an adjustable butt from JSR for £13, combined with a pellet order makes it worth while
    You have done well!

I thought £18.95 for a Bisley adjustable butt plate was a good price - but £13 is much better!

- bet you don't feel so bad about missing the one at your local gunshop any more either

I love to buy locally, but having just paid this morning £13.49 for a tin of jsb exact jumbo's in 22, it is the last tin i will be buying there, placed a big(for me)pellet order with JSR £2+ per tin on pellets(except the hobby's), i feel disloyal but when it makes every 5th tin free loyalty has a price...

I love to buy locally, but having just paid this morning £13.49 for a tin of jsb exact jumbo's in 22, it is the last tin i will be buying there, placed a big(for me)pellet order with JSR £2+ per tin on pellets(except the hobby's), i feel disloyal but when it makes every 5th tin free loyalty has a price...
    Your local shop may not have the bulk buying power of the big online dealers so he may not be able to compete on price - but it may be worth asking him so he has the opportunity to compete - if he can.

He is also open at 7.30am too so that is quite handy if you need something quickly so it is a difficult decision.

If everyone stops buying from him he will have to close - and that would be a shame as there are so few good local shops left these days.

Very true, but i doubt he can match savings of £2.50/£3.00 a tin, which there is on the jsb's, i don't mind a £1 per tin extra to be able to buy locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffler View Post
    Love my little 30s in .22.
    I fitted a Bisley adjustable pad to mine to improve the reach, very pleased with it.
    Accurate out to stupid distances with Hobbys, of all pellets.

Nice barrel sleeve - who supplies these?

Now have the Paul Short set back trigger fitted to my 99

Now have the Paul Short set back trigger fitted to my 99

My Bisley adjustable butt pad arrive this morning - I have not had time to fit it yet but I will get it done this week.

Please let me know if your set back trigger helps you with the trigger reach (enough to justify buying it) coz if it works I will need to find out where to order one from !

Limited shooting so far, but yes it has made a difference, waiting for the butt pad now