Thread: MPL 2019 Spring/Summer Postal Competition.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I had a Silver Star and couldn't hit a barn door with it - even if I was stood on it!

I was gutted as I really liked the pistol and it had a super smooth trigger too, so I could find no good reason to explain why I was unable to score anything better than "laughably low" even after working with it for several months.

A previous member of our club was one of the original live "shoulder to shoulder" MPL competition's top scorer's at 10 meters - and he used a Silver Star to achieve his good scores using "Low Power" mode.

It was his impressive performance that caused a couple of us to buy ourselves a Silver Star each - but neither of us could hit a damm thing with them.

The other club member who bought one with me was quite a good shot so it made me feel a little better when he was rubbish with his too! We both tried Low Power and High Power modes, but it made very little difference although we did find the Low Power mode was a little better.

When we asked our top Silver Star shooter what he had done to his example, he said "nothing at all" so we let him have a go with ours - and he shot them both OK too!

This led us to agree that the Silver Star (and Black Star) does seem to work well enough for some shooters, but it can also fail to perform - even in the hands of those that can usually shoot a .177 air pistol with a reasonable degree of competence!

I call the Silver Star and Black Star air pistols the Marmite pistols. They do suite some shooters really well - but can also fail to perform at all well - even in the hands of good experienced target air pistol shooters and I have never known any other air pistol to divide opinions (and performances) so much!

Even now I am tempted to buy another one as I still can't believe how badly I shot with my own new and super-smooth example and I would like to find one that would work for me in the current 6 yard MPL competition.!

Arthritis in my hands makes shooting any air pistol painful and hard to shoot consistently with - but I failed to shoot my Silver Star well when I was able to shoot well enough and was not having problems with my hands - so maybe (reverse physcology in action here) I could shoot one now ?
    Last edited by zooma; 28-12-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.