Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MPL 2019 Spring/Summer Postal Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Paul,

Welcome to the MPL

For a real, and very enjoyable challenge, try shooting a recoiling springer pistol (e.g. Diana/Original Model 5) in the MPL

I will be using both my 1948 Original Model 5 and my Diana 5G in the Spring/Summer 2019 pistol rounds.

For the rifle rounds, I will be using my Weihrauch HW95 SuperMatch & HW30S, with the odd use of my TX200.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    I did have a quick practice down the club last night both with my HW75 and HW45.

On 'low-power' mode the HW45 shot some decent groups and weren't much smaller than the groups I shot with the HW75

I tend to use the HW45 on 'full power' for plinking using a 'two-handed' grip at 10M and when I used the 'one handed target stance' last night, the groups moved over to the right by about 2" or so - not surprising really

I'll keep an eye out for a 'target' style recoiling pistol to use in the MPL, but I think, for my introduction for this series I'll start softly with my HW75
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Paul,

The HW45 in 'full-power' mode is certainly challenging and fun to shoot

I have an HW45 Silver Star (0.177") - I might try some cards with it.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post

I have an HW45 Silver Star (0.177") - I might try some cards with it.
    Hi Russ,

That's the same as what I've got and was using go on, have a go at some cards

It's a fine pistol and most shots are accompanied with a whiff of smoke - a characteristic of this gun

It reminds me of years gone by when we used to shoot my mates .22" Webley Tempest at 20yds up the back garden at .22LR pistol targets (PL12s maybe ) - although the trigger on the HW45 is far better !!

Good Shooting
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay

I had a Silver Star and couldn't hit a barn door with it - even if I was stood on it!

I was gutted as I really liked the pistol and it had a super smooth trigger too, so I could find no good reason to explain why I was unable to score anything better than "laughably low" even after working with it for several months.

A previous member of our club was one of the original live "shoulder to shoulder" MPL competition's top scorer's at 10 meters - and he used a Silver Star to achieve his good scores using "Low Power" mode.

It was his impressive performance that caused a couple of us to buy ourselves a Silver Star each - but neither of us could hit a damm thing with them.

The other club member who bought one with me was quite a good shot so it made me feel a little better when he was rubbish with his too! We both tried Low Power and High Power modes, but it made very little difference although we did find the Low Power mode was a little better.

When we asked our top Silver Star shooter what he had done to his example, he said "nothing at all" so we let him have a go with ours - and he shot them both OK too!

This led us to agree that the Silver Star (and Black Star) does seem to work well enough for some shooters, but it can also fail to perform - even in the hands of those that can usually shoot a .177 air pistol with a reasonable degree of competence!

I call the Silver Star and Black Star air pistols the Marmite pistols. They do suite some shooters really well - but can also fail to perform at all well - even in the hands of good experienced target air pistol shooters and I have never known any other air pistol to divide opinions (and performances) so much!

Even now I am tempted to buy another one as I still can't believe how badly I shot with my own new and super-smooth example and I would like to find one that would work for me in the current 6 yard MPL competition.!

Arthritis in my hands makes shooting any air pistol painful and hard to shoot consistently with - but I failed to shoot my Silver Star well when I was able to shoot well enough and was not having problems with my hands - so maybe (reverse physcology in action here) I could shoot one now ?
    Last edited by zooma; 28-12-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob,

For me, the HW45 is incredibly hold sensitive.

Only the loosest & most gentle of grips brings repeatable grouping (for me).

I have built up the front strap with blutak to give a flat for fingers - essntially the pistol sits in/on the hand, but not gripped by it.

The innards of my HW45 are run totally dry - a mix of tungsten disulphide & graphite powders (75:25) provide the slip.

I have also fitted a full TinBum kit (guides both ends of the spring).

Found wisdom from the Interweb, suggests adding about 10 - 15 grams to the piston weight to make the pistol more efficient - I will be giving that a try.

Currently, the HW45 is making 4.6 ft.lb with RWS R10 Pistol (6.99 gr.).

By contrast, the Diana/Original Model 5s are a doddle to shoot well; and more importantly, for me, shoot much more accurately than the '45.

From rest, the Model 5s groups are approximately 1/3 of the size of the '45s, at both 6 yards & 10 meters.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Had 3 45's & one silver star, they were ok but nothing to write home about, even had a 25 barrel for them, don't have one at the moment, but might get one if a herd of zombie beer cans attack the house

All interesting comments about the HW pistols and information certainly worth thinking about.

Russ,
    The targets arrived today - thankyou.

Have a good weekend everyone
    ATB, Paul

Thanks to the contributions from Russ and Rob I am beginning to feel much better about my shortcomings with the Silver Star

Happy New Year everyone!

Now would be a good time to send in your MPL entries as we recover from the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Please let us know if you are entering the 6 Yard MPL pistol or 6 Yard MPL air rifle. These competitions are open to all spring powered and SSP air rifles and air pistols.

The 6 yard Supported Air Rifle and Supported Air Pistol competitions will also be run again this year and these two competitions also allow the use of PCP air rifles and air pistols to be used along with the spring powered and SSP airguns.

If you are entering the Supported competitions you will need a hard 50mm (maximum diameter) bar to rest your airgun on. This "bar" can be made from any hard material including hardwood or metal. A section of scaffolding tube will make a suitable rest - but don't chop it out of a length that is currently in use!

Anyone that would like to receive some pictures of a cheap and easy to make cradle to hold your bar should let me have your email address and I will send some to you. They can be made in just a few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    All interesting comments about the HW pistols and information certainly worth thinking about.

Russ,
    The targets arrived today - thankyou.

Have a good weekend everyone
    Hi Paul,

I just noticed that you are a member of the HW30S fan club!

Most of our entries in the 6 yard MPL rifle competition last time were from shooters using the HW30S - so why not have an entry with your HW30s - you will be in good company!

I shot my HW30S in the last competition but I have some problems with my back and neck that cause me some pain with crouching behind the small size of the HW30S so I am going to try an HW99S this time around and hope it shoots as well.

If I could fit my HW30S better i would still choose it to enter this competition with as it is remarkably smooth and accurate at 6 yards (out of the box) and I know I will have to make some changes to my HW99S to make it feel as nice to shoot - but it is just a little bit bigger and shares the same excellent "Record" trigger so it should end up OK and will hopefully be a little easier for me to hold.

Rob (robthedog) has been doing some work on his along the lines that I have in mind, and they seem to be working well for him so I will see how I get on with mine!

-.-.-.- but I will still be tempted to try a round with my '30S now and again when I can manage it as it is such a sweet little rifle to shoot!

Enjoy your shooting!

Bob.

One issue with the 99 is the length of reach to the trigger, mine has had a trigger job, but would benefit from a set back trigger, i don't have small hands, so not sure how those with smaller hands will cope.

As regards the 99 in general i like them & currently have 2, in both flavours, but would like another one in 177 to keep as full power.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    One issue with the 99 is the length of reach to the trigger, mine has had a trigger job, but would benefit from a set back trigger, i don't have small hands, so not sure how those with smaller hands will cope.

As regards the 99 in general i like them & currently have 2, in both flavours, but would like another one in 177 to keep as full power.

I think most sporting air rifles have this problem with trigger reach Rob (to a greater or lesser degree) due to the steeply raked grip which on a target rifle is much more "upright" to give more of a "pistol grip" - which in turn moves the hand closer to the trigger.

Russ modified his "RS TURBO" HW99S" because of this very same problem, and if you take a look at his orange stock (suggest wearing sunglasses!) you can see that he has built-up this area (using lolly sticks and filler) to look more like a match rifle grip. This brings his hand closer to the trigger blade and solves the "reach" problem for him.

Russ's magnificent HW99S shooting machine can be seen on this thread:- http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....r-MPL-shooting

My Bisley butt plate is "on its way" to me and I will fit it as soon as it arrives and then take a look at the trigger reach to see if I can do anything to improve it without lolly sticks or lumo orange paint! ( I think Russ may have a copyright on this unique application!).

I really like the "feel" of my HW30S and the way it shoots, so if I can replicate this with my HW99S I will be really pleased as the longer stock will be a lot more comfortable for me to hold.

A "set-back" trigger sounds like a good idea. Please let me know what type you are fitting and if it makes a significant difference.

Looking forward to shooting with you in the MPL.

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 04-01-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Think i will drop Paul Short a message(he lives near me)& get him to make me a set back trigger, then i'll let you know how i get on.

Having owned, 80's, 77's, 97's 95's, iv'e never had the issue of reach until using the 99's

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Think i will drop Paul Short a message(he lives near me)& get him to make me a set back trigger, then i'll let you know how i get on.

Having owned, 80's, 77's, 97's 95's, iv'e never had the issue of reach until using the 99's
    Thanks Rob,

The 99S does seem to be the rifle that gets the most complaints about long trigger reach and a set back trigger blade would help this, so if you get one made and it works please let me know as I could be tempted to invest in one.

It will also save me having to collect lolly sticks and buying some filler paste

Bob,

I haven't heard any grizzling WRT HW99S' fitted with Custom Stocks CS 'target' stocks - e.g. CS700 & CS800.

I don't know if the trigger reach issue is better with these ?

The lolly sticks etc. were a much less expensive option

I will be giving my HW30S' stock the lolly stick treatment soon ( Igor, it lives, bwa-ha-ha-ha.. )

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ