Thread: Webley Mk3 Transfer Port

Webley Mk3 Transfer Port

I have been tinkering with my 0.177 Mk3 to smooth out the action and maybe get a slight improvement in performance, and wanted to share my findings.
    When it was in bits, there was a discussion on here about transfer port size being too large on 0.22 models, so I decided to sleeve the port on my rifle; and here is the outcome...
    When I first got it, I checked performance with 7 grain Gecos, and was getting just under 9ft/lb, so I was keen to compare it after my work. Hmmmm...
    With Gecos I was getting 7.78, with Vmx 8.18 grains 7.27,and with H&N 9.57, 6.39. What had I done!
    Quick strip-down, remove the sleeve and re-test.
    Gecos = 8.76
    VMX = 7.65
    H&N = 7.74
    Conclusion - Mk3 in 0.177 does not benefit from a smaller transfer port, well mine didn't!
    Hope someone might find this information useful.
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.
    How did you sleeve the tp, and what is the diameter now?
    A friend made a brass tp sleeve for me, with an internal diameter of 3 mm.
    Will test it soon.
    Is there any change in the firing behaviour/recoil by the way?
    Cheers

I used some copper pipe with a 1/8 inch internal diameter. As I don't have a lathe, I just used a small file to reduce the outside diameter, then pushed it into the port to find the high spots, filed them off and kept doing this until I got a nice fit. I then trimmed it to length and bonded it in with Loctite thread locking compound.
    It didn't take much to tap it out.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I found a good resource for TP sleeving today, wonderland models on Lothian road in Edinburgh.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/NZVIpyW
    Donald

I have been reading with some interest the 'sleeving' of tps but I seem to recall - and might well have recalled wrongly - that 177s and 22s have different preferences in terms of the diameter. Perhaps you missed the 'sweet spot'. I know Louis is on top of this, so it will be interesting to see what he discovers.

Rgds
    A