Thread: Simple digital spotting scope system.

Simple digital spotting scope system.

Just thought you might be interested in my simple spotting scope setup. This is not expensive, the scopes used here are a Nippon compact at £42 new and Piccolo compact at around £70 new. The 8" tablet used here is a Tesco Hudl but any android tablet or phone works. The Android app is free and the camera is around a tenner. The only "technical" bit is an adapter to fit the camera to the scope eyepiece - I 3d printed my adapters but could be made ok with cardboard tube, Blue Peter fashion.

I can't tell you how much easier it is just to glance down to spot your shots or right next to you for 25m prone. The only thing to watch out for is that your scope can focus down to 10m if you intend to use it at that range.

I was thinking of something similar but couldn't find a suitable camera for the eyepiece. All I could find are ones for astronomy or endoscopes. Do you have a link to where you got the camera from?

Thanks, Ian

Item number 312205307994 on the 'bay. There's numerous similar adapters to connect your phone/tablet to your scope.
    Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

interesting....where did you buy the lens which connects to the scope eye piece and the cable which connects it to the ipad / android tablet ?
    what software do you use too?
    many thanks

nice one..looks ideal.now why did i not think of that....heres a one i made with my mate for over 400 yds 264059353561

Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    nice one..looks ideal.now why did i not think of that....heres a one i made with my mate for over 400 yds 264059353561
    That looks good - The FPV technology is getting better and cheaper all the time. Here's my long range set up:

For the camera on the spotting scope it depends on the size of your eyepiece, setting the distance between the eyepiece lens and the camera lens is quite critical to get a full picture on your screen. With a larger eyepiece I use something like this

and the smaller eyepiece, one of these.

The camera comes with a 1 meter USB cable but you will also need an OTG cable to convert the USB plug on the camera to a micro USB plug to fit the tablet.

There are several free apps for the camera, the one I use is simply called "USB camera" found in Google play.

Nice work