Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Ok... Whats the best way around this? Who else will?

Merry Crimbo BTW
    No one else will knowingly carry an airgun, that's the problem.
    I use PF48 because their rules state they carry "airguns", that's good enough for me.

There are a few firearms couriers but the costs would be more than the value of the rifle I'd guess
    Last edited by bighit; 25-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Easy
    Take it apart and send, its fully legal and insurable as its 'parts'

Stock off, cylinder fill valve out or cylinder off, done

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Ive even tried my local rfd (AGC) and they will send via their PF contract to another rfd, BUT it will not be insured as its not their concern or process

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    I had to send a PCP back to Daystate they arranged the pick up and return Parcel Force 48 happy days.
    Companies with a "contract" have different rules to those of us who send privately, it's perfectly ok for an RFD to use RM and charge accordingly, but you generally have another £15/25 either end for admin - so a £20 parcel becomes £50+, but it's the only legitimate way to do it.

If you send a PCP on your own through the RM following their air gun guidelines you are NOT covered or protected if it goes missing, gets damaged, or they destroy it!

You have been warned, the choice of course is entirely up to you, but with most PCPs costing upwards of £500 I'd rather pay the £50 at the RFD.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Companies with a "contract" have different rules to those of us who send privately, it's perfectly ok for an RFD to use RM and charge accordingly, but you generally have another £15/25 either end for admin - so a £20 parcel becomes £50+, but it's the only legitimate way to do it.

If you send a PCP on your own through the RM following their air gun guidelines you are NOT covered or protected if it goes missing, gets damaged, or they destroy it!

You have been warned, the choice of course is entirely up to you, but with most PCPs costing upwards of £500 I'd rather pay the £50 at the RFD.

James

Correct . I asked an RFD to send a Divers bottle (empty of course) and he said "No can do " .

I said why not and he replied that he did not have the correct Contract" to send divers bottles but he did for PCP airguns .

He said Dive tanks us could send him them via the same courier but if one had to go back for a warranty or replacement he could not send it but Dive tanks R us could send the courier to pick it up from him.

All to do with the "contract"

PF48 will carry airguns for private individuals and on "contract" for RFD's.
    As a private individual you can only send "low power" airguns, i.e. nothing Section 1 (FAC). You have only £100 insurance cover.
    As an RFD you can send Sec 1 to other RFD's and you are only covered for £50 (IIRC) insurance. An RFD may return a sub12 repair via PF48.
    I have no problem with the insurance side being ridiculously low numbers, if PF lose an airgun I will report it to my FEO as a loss of a firearm (even if sub12 it is still considered a firearm) and believe me the police will make it their business to investigate PF. I have no reason to doubt that PF would immediately launch an internal investigation if prompted by a FEO and that the gun would be found/accounted for immediately. The only reasons PF might destroy or "lose" a gun is if it is wrongly declared or wrongly addressed. If wrongly declared (say as sporting goods) then their terms and conditions state that they have the right to destroy it. If delivered to the wrong address then that's the fault of the sender (unless the driver has gone off the rails?)
    I have never had a gun lost or damaged in transit via PF or RM.
    The packing bit is my responsibility (or a customer who is sending me a repair, if so I send them instructions how to pack).
    I always include a return address inside and outside.
    I always declare a gun correctly as a low powered air rifle or a Section 1 firearm (as applicable). I would be committing an offence if I wrongly state the contents and could possibly lose my RFD and invite myself a stay in HMP.
    I always mark the package "Please do not air uplift, do not leave with neighbour, to be signed for by addressee only".
    The only times I have had late deliveries have been due to things such as postcode errors and one unexplained late delivery recently (could have been due to the start of the xmas rush).
    I would never suggest anyone (private customer or RFD account holder) to wrongly identify a package, it's not clever, it's an offence to send a firearm that isn't declared because it means PF may not handle the package following the legal requirements, you would effectively be allowing them to break one or more laws, such as "leaving in a safe place" (the gun is still your responsibility until it is in the hands of the intended recipient) or allowing the package to be signed for by anyone other than the actual intended recipient. Imagine how much shit will hit the fan if you send a gun that gets signed for by a minor or somebody with a criminal intent who then commits a crime with your gun because you send it as "sporting goods". You might just find yourself in a whole heap of trouble and I for one would not have the slightest bit of sympathy.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    PF48 will carry airguns for private individuals and on "contract" for RFD's.
    As a private individual you can only send "low power" airguns, i.e. nothing Section 1 (FAC). You have only £100 insurance cover.
    As an RFD you can send Sec 1 to other RFD's and you are only covered for £50 (IIRC) insurance. An RFD may return a sub12 repair via PF48.
    I have no problem with the insurance side being ridiculously low numbers, if PF lose an airgun I will report it to my FEO as a loss of a firearm (even if sub12 it is still considered a firearm) and believe me the police will make it their business to investigate PF. I have no reason to doubt that PF would immediately launch an internal investigation if prompted by a FEO and that the gun would be found/accounted for immediately. The only reasons PF might destroy or "lose" a gun is if it is wrongly declared or wrongly addressed. If wrongly declared (say as sporting goods) then their terms and conditions state that they have the right to destroy it. If delivered to the wrong address then that's the fault of the sender (unless the driver has gone off the rails?)
    I have never had a gun lost or damaged in transit via PF or RM.
    The packing bit is my responsibility (or a customer who is sending me a repair, if so I send them instructions how to pack).
    I always include a return address inside and outside.
    I always declare a gun correctly as a low powered air rifle or a Section 1 firearm (as applicable). I would be committing an offence if I wrongly state the contents and could possibly lose my RFD and invite myself a stay in HMP.
    I always mark the package "Please do not air uplift, do not leave with neighbour, to be signed for by addressee only".
    The only times I have had late deliveries have been due to things such as postcode errors and one unexplained late delivery recently (could have been due to the start of the xmas rush).
    I would never suggest anyone (private customer or RFD account holder) to wrongly identify a package, it's not clever, it's an offence to send a firearm that isn't declared because it means PF may not handle the package following the legal requirements, you would effectively be allowing them to break one or more laws, such as "leaving in a safe place" (the gun is still your responsibility until it is in the hands of the intended recipient) or allowing the package to be signed for by anyone other than the actual intended recipient. Imagine how much shit will hit the fan if you send a gun that gets signed for by a minor or somebody with a criminal intent who then commits a crime with your gun because you send it as "sporting goods". You might just find yourself in a whole heap of trouble and I for one would not have the slightest bit of sympathy.
    Thats just what I needed. I was afraid of it getting lost, but as you say, I have no intention of misleading the contents and I will mark it up as you say.

What about sending it charged?
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Thats just what I needed. I was afraid of it getting lost, but as you say, I have no intention of misleading the contents and I will mark it up as you say.

What about sending it charged?
    Send it empty and make certain there are no pellets in any magazines otherwise you are technically sending a loaded gun, even if the mag isn't fitted in the gun. You are allowed to send pellets with an airgun but not a loaded gun. Make certain the gun isn't cocked either.
    Although there is no way of telling if a gun is actually under pressure unless they unpack it they only need the excuse that the packaging looked insecure to examine the contents.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    Send it empty and make certain there are no pellets in any magazines otherwise you are technically sending a loaded gun, even if the mag isn't fitted in the gun. You are allowed to send pellets with an airgun but not a loaded gun. Make certain the gun isn't cocked either.
    Although there is no way of telling if a gun is actually under pressure unless they unpack it they only need the excuse that the packaging looked insecure to examine the contents.
    OK.
    Sent it today with all of your instructions.

Oddly enough, Postie asked did I want extra insurance to cover the value of it. I remarked that an airgun could not be insured for any more than £100. "Not so" he said, you can insure it for whatever you want up to £20k. So I paid an extra 6 quid for the full value of the gun.

Lets see how we get on...

OK.

Oddly enough, Postie asked did I want extra insurance to cover the value of it. I remarked that an airgun could not be insured for any more than £100. "Not so" he said, you can insure it for whatever you want up to £20k. So I paid an extra 6 quid for the full value of the gun.

If you posted with PF matey the insurance payout is £100 max .
    I’ve posted quite a few by Royal Mail special delivery, I think the insurance went up to £500 with that,
    Only problem is you need to remove the stock on most rifles and pack the stock alongside the action as there are maximum sizes length and width you have to fit.

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Copied this from RM website.

I no longer mail parcels via my main PO because the young staff always interrogate me as to contents and they clearly don't know the rules in respect of airguns. Instead I mail via a sub-PO with older more experienced staff who have no issue with mailing airguns via PF48. Even so, I recently mailed my Falcon FN12 action via PF48 for rebluing and I kept a constant eye on tracking until I saw it had been delivered safely.

OK.

Neil, your postie was talking arse, max compo is £2500 for a start, & airguns are exempt.
    https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...d-restrictions

Get a refund

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.m...fected-you/amp

Perhaps if people start doing this they’ll stop offering useless insurance.

If a tv shop sold you insurance for TVs that didn’t insure TVs you’d ask for your money back.

Well, it got there....
    I went up to Walkers, my local gunshop at Trowell to get some super-domes for my newly acquired HW100

I spoke to Gaz who runs the gun side of things about posting. They have never lost an airgun via PF. Guns are usually charged when sent and almost always charged when returned from manufacturers.

He fully agreed with what printed instruction as RancidTom states:

"Please do not air uplift
    Do not leave with neighbour
    To be signed for by addressee only".
    Senders name address and postcode clearly printed

Generally items get lost through poor packaging, illegible writing, wrong address and postcode. Also sending them as "Paper Punching Equipment" Might get it destroyed.

Anyhoo, thanks for the input!