Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy an early made Turkish Longbow?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Would you buy an early made Turkish Longbow?

Hi all,

Here's a theoretical question for you.

If you found an early made Turkish Webley Longbow, which was made from mainly Brum parts but just assembled by the Turks, would you buy it?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yes
    I had one and the rifle was great

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

If you found an early made Turkish Webley Longbow, which was made from mainly Brum parts but just assembled by the Turks, would you buy it?

Pete
    Would you buy a BSA springer that was assembled by Spanish people, some of them possibly women, which was fitted with a Brum made barrel?

I imagine it is no worse a sin than buying a Diana from Germany. At least Turkey isn't in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Would you buy a BSA springer that was assembled by Spanish people, some of them possibly women, which was fitted with a Brum made barrel?

I imagine it is no worse a sin than buying a Diana from Germany. At least Turkey isn't in the EU.
    I'm not worried either way, my Brocock is just as you say above and it's fine in my eyes, I ask the question about the Longbow as a large majority of members on here who have had experience with Turkish Longbows will say they are pretty poor compared to the Brum ones, now I don't know if that's down to the build quality (ie the assembling of the rifle) or the quality and finish of the parts used (ie are they made from monkey metal etc), if it's the latter, then surely one made from quality Brum made parts shouldn't really be that much different than a Brum made one, unless they are that slap happy when making them (ie they don't put enough/too much grease on anything).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I don't know enough about them, Pete, but I'd certainly be taking a punt on one if one came up at the right money.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

... possibly women...
    Is this positive in your view?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Is this positive in your view?
    I was winding Pete up.

Anyone can assemble a Gamo BSA provided they have the abiity and the training.

I was winding Pete up.

Anyone can assemble a Gamo BSA provided they have the abiity and the training.
    Not sure about that because I'm damn sure you'd struggle

Pete

Mine was the se thumbhole, lovely walnut stock. It was as accurate as my Brum version and the only thing I can remember being much different was the blueing, the brum defo edged that department but thats about from my memories, that said Im no springer guru

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Mine was the se thumbhole, lovely walnut stock. It was as accurate as my Brum version and the only thing I can remember being much different was the blueing, the brum defo edged that department but thats about from my memories, that said Im no springer guru

Chris
    This is the sort of insight we need, I sometime wonder if peoples opinions are based on spite because a certain product is now being made by Johnny foreigner abroad and not by the tossed aside original British craftmen, something I can fully understand, at the end of the day as long as the product isn't just thrown together or the materials inferior than the originals (or you open it up and find it full of swarf and lopped off spring ends), like you say above the bluing may be worse but Webley where always known for their excellent bluing and I doubt any of the original equipment and expertise was taken to Turkey either.

Pete

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Hi all,

Pete
    Just dismantle and reassemble then it would be made and assembled in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just dismantle and reassemble then it would be made and assembled in UK
    Fair point Barry
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Yes.

I mean, I wouldn’t, because I already have a Birmingham one, but if I didn’t have that one, and was looking for a shooter not a collector’s piece, then at the right price it would be a very good buy.

Even the later Turkish ones with the SE thumbhole stock are worth a look if the price is right and you are prepared to do a bit of sorting out if it needs it.

Not sure about that because I'm damn sure you'd struggle

Pete
    Anyone can screw one of them things together surely? Choooning the twigger unit is the twiki fing ...

I've had two Turk built longbows the first was a early 2007 rifle and identical to my Brumbow bar the bluing and stamping and was very nice and accurate, the second was from 2009 and was a se thumbhole and was a pile shite the breech bolt hole was two big in the block and the barrel was atroctios also the piston had shaved a ledge in the top of the cylinder from cocking! So beware of these for sure