Thread: Poor little grey squirrels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've taken my son red squirrel spotting at formby, they are a delight to see and saddens me that they are reduced to small areas. I shoot greys at every opportunity, it's not their fault some posh dick brought them over for his country estate not far from me a long time ago, but there should be stronger laws to get rid of them to give reds a chance. Parts of the lakes are making a big effort to get rid of the greys and it's working so why not county wide?

Perhaps the world would be a better place if man didnt interfere from now on, evolution of the species is a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    Perhaps the world would be a better place if man didnt interfere from now on, evolution of the species is a foregone conclusion.
    It's man trying to undo past interference.
    We unseated the ecosystem by introducing destructive species and it's only right that we do whatever we can to restore the balance.
    It's a much more complicated issue than simply saying let them be and see what happens.

The world is full of examples of an invasive species destroying delicate ecosystems; the knock-on effects of one rampant species has the potential to do far more damage than a simple change in the colour of the tree rats in your garden.

we are nearly at 300 where i shoot,damn good sport

Only 2 creatures I shoot - rats & tree rats

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Only 2 creatures I shoot - rats & tree rats
    Keep up the good work, brother!
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I think that some of you guys just use the fact that squirrels are pests as a excuse to shoot something live by calling them tree rats and vermin, if they are being such a pest to you why take so much pleasure in killing them instead of it being a unpleasant chore.

I'm not saying that they are not a pest but there are other way to control them.
    The resurgence of the native pine marten could also swing the balance in favour of reds over greys. A conservation success story in itself, these ferret-like predators were recently spotted in England for the first time in more than a century. In areas of Ireland where pine martens are thriving, grey squirrels have almost disappeared, allowing reds to reestablish themselves.

Also the occurrence of pox-resistance within some red squirrel populations is also a reason for hope for red over grey. The development of an oral contraceptive for grey squirrels together with plans to bait them using Nutell.

I don’t want Britain to lose its native red squirrel. But neither do I take any joy from the thought of the tens of thousands of culled grey squirrels and the infinite number that we will have to kill if current plans are to continue in perpetuity.

We need to show a bit more respect to this highly successful species and there are alternative options to culling. We could start by managing forests to favour conifers (which reds prefer) over deciduous trees (the grey’s favourite).

Enjoying shooting tree rats is not the way I like the public to see us airgunners. Just my friendly opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I think that some of you guys just use the fact that squirrels are pests as a excuse to shoot something live by calling them tree rats and vermin, if they are being such a pest to you why take so much pleasure in killing them instead of it being a unpleasant chore.
    Barry - the satisfaction I get from culling grey squirrels comes from doing well a job that really does need to be done. Yes, I enjoy being out in the countryside, I enjoy the training I put in to remain proficient with the rifles I use, and I really enjoy eating the squirrels I shoot, and if you consider those things to be wrong, then we'll have to agree on a difference of interpretation.

As for your 'other methods', do you really propose turning our beloved broadleaf woodland into pine forest and introducing pine martens as a better means of controlling grey squirrels? I'm sure you can't be serious, mate. I can only imagine what the estate managers of the shoots I have would say if I told them it's time to put the greys on the pill and start grubbing out the broadleaf trees in favour of pines, with a side order of large mustelid predators to keep an eye on things.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Fair comment, sort of.

All of my permissions are fairly relaxed - I don't have to produce numbers so, I don't have to shoot off feeders but, the land owners do like to see results. I much prefer to walk and stalk. This is how I enjoy hunting squirrels.

I also enjoy cooking and, for me, there's nothing nicer than producing something tasty from something that I've hunted myself.
    The favourites so far have been curry, shepherds pie and samosa all made with squirrel.

I try to keep the numbers down rather than eradicate, wether that's squirrel or rabbit, as well as use what I shoot.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    we are nearly at 300 where i shoot,damn good sport
    Good man.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

They are pretty cute fluffy little things..... but the damage they cause....... oh my!!