Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor little grey squirrels

Poor little grey squirrels

Just be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind!

I love squirrels, have them trained to come into the house to take food from your hand! very entertaining little chaps.

Even my cats give them a wide berth!

I love to watch all sorts of wildlife when im out and about --But love it when I get the chance to take out a grey and think of who many birds eggs and young birds I have saved they need to be controlled like many other predator pests --how many shooters like to see young rabbits playing in the spring and summer time but at the same time love a nice rabbit pie -casserole

as above but look after the reds. atb mick

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Got a grey one got through my kitchen window, stole some nuts off a bowl and left its yellow 'wee' on the table!.

Thumbs down

The Greys can climb stone walls with ease, They got in to the roofspace of a friend of mine and caused £3,000 worth of damage to the timbers!

John...
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    The Greys can climb stone walls with ease, They got in to the roofspace of a friend of mine and caused £3,000 worth of damage to the timbers!

John...
    Yes there are buggers I no of someone that had one get threw under the guttering it chewed rafters he only new about it when the electric tripped out and it had eating the plastic from the wires cant understand how it never got killed? but the most funny thing he got someone to trap it and they let it go

beggers if they get in your loft

Some people not far from where I live had their very nice country thatched cottage burnt to the ground,
    while they were away on holiday ,the fire investigation officer found evidence it was caused by a grey squirrel
    gnawing through electric cables in the roof space, so greys are high on my prey list rats being No-1.
    atb brian

I hunt all the usual pest species, but I can’t shoot squirrels ‘cos they’re just soooooo cute

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    This advert got squirrels popular
    https://youtu.be/aY9GBl7UmVs

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    greys are high on my prey list rats being No-1
    Grey squirrels are just rats with a fluffy tail
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

As we all know the grey squirrels crime is to ve somewhere it was never meant to be and is now no longer wanted. Man has meddled here in the same way he has with zander and mink on and in our rivers. Plus American crawfish apparently. Even Japanese knotweed has man to thank for its widespread blight.
    Despite acknowledging that its not the grey squirrels fault in being here I.personally can't cut them any slack as regards extermination. The farmer on.my regular shoot tells me his dad pointed out a red squirrel to him as a young lad over sixty years ago. That was the one and only one he's ever seen locally since grey squirrels flooded the area. Neither I or my children will ever see one locally in our lifetimes. We will need to travel to specific red squirrel protection areas to do so. I find it sad and worrying. I know this country has a lot on its plate just about now but I can't help feeling that the government should be taking a lead role to restore some balance.
    Though it does feel a bit hopeless shooting greys to try and help the reds it must help in a very small way. It also has the bonus of providing sport in the meantime. Plus my farmer mate tells me his winter cattle feed is being left alone and is going further these days.
    Older guys tell me there was once a bounty on greys squirrels. I think that would have been an incentive but I fear its been left a bit late to try that one again.
    Dave

I've taken my son red squirrel spotting at formby, they are a delight to see and saddens me that they are reduced to small areas. I shoot greys at every opportunity, it's not their fault some posh dick brought them over for his country estate not far from me a long time ago, but there should be stronger laws to get rid of them to give reds a chance. Parts of the lakes are making a big effort to get rid of the greys and it's working so why not county wide?

Perhaps the world would be a better place if man didnt interfere from now on, evolution of the species is a foregone conclusion.