Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor little grey squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Yes there are buggers I no of someone that had one get threw under the guttering it chewed rafters he only new about it when the electric tripped out and it had eating the plastic from the wires cant understand how it never got killed? but the most funny thing he got someone to trap it and they let it go
    Should have reported him, it's an offence to catch and release greys isn't it?
    https://www.rsne.org.uk/squirrels-and-law

If you catch one in a trap you have to humanely destroy it, just don't drown it - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-squirrel.html - or take two tries and five pellets to kill it and leave it half dead for your neighbour to see while you go out shopping before finishing it off https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/37...irrel-to-death.

We have loads of them up here, they are my main reason for wanting an airgun. If the wife is reading this I didn't mean it, I will only shoot targets, honest

They're absolutely thick in their native land as well. They love to chew the wiring in cars as well. I'm not even sure it's lawful to take them out here, but when they show interest in what's under our cars, I have to just be very discreet.

Grey Squirrels

At the moment the grey's in our archery clubs woods are ring barking the trees (chewing the bark off around the base to get to the sap).
    This kills the trees eventually , losing both fauna , and habitat for other wildlife . We shoot and trap them, constantly, but they keep coming .
    We have to face the facts though. That we will never eradicate enough grey squirrels to allow the red population to expand , IF the situation remains the same as it is now.

Education is the key , we need to educate forthcoming generations , by having 'Red' sanctuaries, in Parks and National Trust sites , so that Reds can be seen and their situation
    explained.

Aint going to happen though !
    Peace through superior fire power!

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    They're absolutely thick in their native land as well. They love to chew the wiring in cars as well. I'm not even sure it's lawful to take them out here, but when they show interest in what's under our cars, I have to just be very discreet.
    Seen Youtube videos of squirrel hunting in the States, mostly air rifles but some with .22LR
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I was asked if I could cull the greys in a friends small 7 acre woodland ( surrounded by other woods) and in less than a year I’ve had 133 of the little beggars .I think they have grossly underguestimated the numbers .

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Seen Youtube videos of squirrel hunting in the States, mostly air rifles but some with .22LR
    I would hazard a guess that some states would have differing regulations on what you can shoot .

Hunting With Air Guns
    The hunting of most wild game with air guns is prohibited under Florida law, but you can use air guns to hunt gray squirrel, rabbit and wild hogs. Furbearers such as raccoons, opossum, coyote, beaver and skunk can also be hunted using air guns. Shooting foxes is prohibited, although you can chase them with dogs.

When hunting with air guns, you must obey all other Florida hunting regulations, including obtaining a license and staying within bag limits. However, much of the wildlife that can be hunted with air guns can be hunted year-round without limitation. It is illegal in Florida for convicted felons to own firearms, but since air guns are not considered firearms, a convicted felon may own air guns for hunting as long as he has a proper hunting license.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    Perhaps the world would be a better place if man didnt interfere from now on, evolution of the species is a foregone conclusion.
    It's man trying to undo past interference.
    We unseated the ecosystem by introducing destructive species and it's only right that we do whatever we can to restore the balance.
    It's a much more complicated issue than simply saying let them be and see what happens.

The world is full of examples of an invasive species destroying delicate ecosystems; the knock-on effects of one rampant species has the potential to do far more damage than a simple change in the colour of the tree rats in your garden.

we are nearly at 300 where i shoot,damn good sport

Only 2 creatures I shoot - rats & tree rats

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    we are nearly at 300 where i shoot,damn good sport
    Good man.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Only 2 creatures I shoot - rats & tree rats
    Keep up the good work, brother!
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I would hazard a guess that some states would have differing regulations on what you can shoot .

Hunting With Air Guns
    The hunting of most wild game with air guns is prohibited under Florida law, but you can use air guns to hunt gray squirrel, rabbit and wild hogs. Furbearers such as raccoons, opossum, coyote, beaver and skunk can also be hunted using air guns. Shooting foxes is prohibited, although you can chase them with dogs.

When hunting with air guns, you must obey all other Florida hunting regulations, including obtaining a license and staying within bag limits. However, much of the wildlife that can be hunted with air guns can be hunted year-round without limitation. It is illegal in Florida for convicted felons to own firearms, but since air guns are not considered firearms, a convicted felon may own air guns for hunting as long as he has a proper hunting license.
    They(felons) can also shoot muzzle loaders and bows, if I'm not mistaken. A DUI is a felony and I know a few hunters that use muzzle loaders because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Hunting With Air Guns

Interesting, thanks for this
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Grey Tree Rats

This year to date:

Shotgun 5, TX200 3.

And they are still all over the place.

If only we could get Grey Squirrel on supermarket shelves.
    Someone should do a deal with McDonalds to put some meat in their burgers.