Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor little grey squirrels

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I think that some of you guys just use the fact that squirrels are pests as a excuse to shoot something live by calling them tree rats and vermin, if they are being such a pest to you why take so much pleasure in killing them instead of it being a unpleasant chore.

I'm not saying that they are not a pest but there are other way to control them.
    The resurgence of the native pine marten could also swing the balance in favour of reds over greys. A conservation success story in itself, these ferret-like predators were recently spotted in England for the first time in more than a century. In areas of Ireland where pine martens are thriving, grey squirrels have almost disappeared, allowing reds to reestablish themselves.

Also the occurrence of pox-resistance within some red squirrel populations is also a reason for hope for red over grey. The development of an oral contraceptive for grey squirrels together with plans to bait them using Nutell.

I don’t want Britain to lose its native red squirrel. But neither do I take any joy from the thought of the tens of thousands of culled grey squirrels and the infinite number that we will have to kill if current plans are to continue in perpetuity.

We need to show a bit more respect to this highly successful species and there are alternative options to culling. We could start by managing forests to favour conifers (which reds prefer) over deciduous trees (the grey’s favourite).

Enjoying shooting tree rats is not the way I like the public to see us airgunners. Just my friendly opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I think that some of you guys just use the fact that squirrels are pests as a excuse to shoot something live by calling them tree rats and vermin, if they are being such a pest to you why take so much pleasure in killing them instead of it being a unpleasant chore.
    Barry - the satisfaction I get from culling grey squirrels comes from doing well a job that really does need to be done. Yes, I enjoy being out in the countryside, I enjoy the training I put in to remain proficient with the rifles I use, and I really enjoy eating the squirrels I shoot, and if you consider those things to be wrong, then we'll have to agree on a difference of interpretation.

As for your 'other methods', do you really propose turning our beloved broadleaf woodland into pine forest and introducing pine martens as a better means of controlling grey squirrels? I'm sure you can't be serious, mate. I can only imagine what the estate managers of the shoots I have would say if I told them it's time to put the greys on the pill and start grubbing out the broadleaf trees in favour of pines, with a side order of large mustelid predators to keep an eye on things.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Barry - the satisfaction I get from culling grey squirrels comes from doing well a job that really does need to be done. Yes, I enjoy being out in the countryside, I enjoy the training I put in to remain proficient with the rifles I use, and I really enjoy eating the squirrels I shoot, and if you consider those things to be wrong, then we'll have to agree on a difference of interpretation.

As for your 'other methods', do you really propose turning our beloved broadleaf woodland into pine forest and introducing pine martens as a better means of controlling grey squirrels? I'm sure you can't be serious, mate. I can only imagine what the estate managers of the shoots I have would say if I told them it's time to put the greys on the pill and start grubbing out the broadleaf trees in favour of pines, with a side order of large mustelid predators to keep an eye on things.
    Terry I don't think that all who have commented are so respectful towards all animals as you thats why the term tree rats is used, the other methods to control are being looked at by some as a kind of package of methods.

as terry d, and you can always a mk4 fenn or poison.atb mick

Eradicating the Grey

The Grey needs eradicating from our shores end of. The damage inflicted to Woodland and it's wildlife by this pest is immeasurable and if enjoyment in shooting them gets more shot then go have fun. I am part of a group of 5 used by a large landowner in Milton Keynes to control these vermin and we average 200+ per season. The increase in species such as Nuthatches and Woodpeckers over the last 3 years is plain for all to see and the carcases feed the local Fox and Buzzard population so it's a win win situation. Anybody that has ever called themselves a countryman knows that absolutely no quarter should be given to these pests.

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Or live trap them,put them in a sack then cave their heads in

Live cage traps, either single or multi-catch, involve attracting squirrels to a trap with a bait (food). These can be used in the same way as spring traps. Set them at the base of trees and covered with logs. It is best to pre-bait these traps, leaving the entrances open so that the squirrels can run freely for a few days before setting.

Captured squirrels should be humanely destroyed by guiding them to one end of the trap, where they can be killed with an air rifle, or the traps can be emptied into a sack and the squirrels dispatched through a swift, heavy blow to the head.

Terry I don't think that all who have commented are so respectful towards all animals as you thats why the term tree rats is used, the other methods to control are being looked at by some as a kind of package of methods.
    I use the term 'tree rat', due to the possible mis-interpretation of calling them 'squirrels' (and all the arguments that can bring on) - don't get me wrong, I like nothing better than watching nature & have spent hours watching rabbits, hares, deer and all manner of birds, from wrens to eagles, I'm not a town dweller, so don't view nature as 'pretty, pretty' and know that it is vicious, I wont use poison to kill a rat, nor a lethal trap, both of those options aren't 'specific' enough (poison will enter the food chain & it's a horrible, painful death) lethal traps will kill/maim anything that sets them off, from mice and voles through to larger animals - so I use either a 'live capture' trap or an air rifle at ranges where I'm usually very unlikely to miss. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' view on the killing of pests - either you agree with it, or you don't - obviously, you don't agree with it, your privilege.

I surprised a little family of four squirrels in the front wood last month. They burst in all directions up in the branches. I managed to shoot all four within 6 minutes. It was like woodland friends meets saving private Ryan. I then found a tiny little chequered blanket and little wicker picnic basket full of little nutty sandwiches. So I shot that aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Poison NOOOOOOOOOOOO--and Fenns Noooooooooooooo again poison has no barriers and will poison more than one target and traps live trap yes as the others will kill and we don't want any reds killed

They are pretty cute fluffy little things..... but the damage they cause....... oh my!!

Fair comment, sort of.

All of my permissions are fairly relaxed - I don't have to produce numbers so, I don't have to shoot off feeders but, the land owners do like to see results. I much prefer to walk and stalk. This is how I enjoy hunting squirrels.

I also enjoy cooking and, for me, there's nothing nicer than producing something tasty from something that I've hunted myself.
    The favourites so far have been curry, shepherds pie and samosa all made with squirrel.

I try to keep the numbers down rather than eradicate, wether that's squirrel or rabbit, as well as use what I shoot.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Fair comment, sort of.

I also enjoy cooking and, for me, there's nothing nicer than producing something tasty from something that I've hunted myself.
    The favourites so far have been curry, shepherds pie and samosa all made with squirrel.

Would also like eating fly burgers, its Environmentally friendly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrVQPnr5ZgU

Would also like eating fly burgers, its Environmentally friendly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrVQPnr5ZgU
    Honestly, yes, I'd give it a whirl - I saw these being made by some fella in Africa on a programme once - they actually looked pretty good 👍

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol p View Post
    I surprised a little family of four squirrels in the front wood last month. They burst in all directions up in the branches. I managed to shoot all four within 6 minutes. It was like woodland friends meets saving private Ryan. I then found a tiny little chequered blanket and little wicker picnic basket full of little nutty sandwiches. So I shot that aswell.
    Wonderful.
    🐿
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

you would use a fenn trap where there is any chance of reds.atb mick