Thread: Valuation FWB Mod 2 Co2 pistol

Valuation FWB Mod 2 Co2 pistol

We recently dug this pistol out of storage at our club.

https://imgur.com/a/BdNj3X2

We believe that the previous owner last used it about 10 years ago, and we were surprised to find that it still has Co2 in the cylinders, and that it still works and fires very well.

I shot a 5 shot group at 10 metres, and the pellets shot clean holes in the target; but I have not yet had the chance to fire some pellets over my chrono to check the muzzle velocity, but it seems fine.

The gun itself is in good overall condition, with some light blemishes on the barrel. The grips are clean, with minimal signs of use, and the sights are complete and working.

As can be seen in the photos, the cylinders are showing considerable surface pitting, and it look like someone has tried to remove the rust in a number of places, but has been unsuccessful with their rough method

There is small plastic wallet that contains 2 metal FWB tools and 2 keys, but the keys do not lock this case

I did wonder if this case is for another pistol, and was not supplied with this gun

Could anyone give me a rough value for this gun?

And as a footnote, can they be converted from Co2 to precharged? If so, a rough cost? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

BTW - There was 1 manky grey pellet in one of the Eley Wasp tins; the other tin is empty.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    We recently dug this pistol out of storage at our club.

https://imgur.com/a/BdNj3X2

We believe that the previous owner last used it about 10 years ago, and we were surprised to find that it still has Co2 in the cylinders, and that it still works and fires very well.

I shot a 5 shot group at 10 metres, and the pellets shot clean holes in the target; but I have not yet had the chance to fire some pellets over my chrono to check the muzzle velocity, but it seems fine.

The gun itself is in good overall condition, with some light blemishes on the barrel. The grips are clean, with minimal signs of use, and the sights are complete and working.

As can be seen in the photos, the cylinders are showing considerable surface pitting, and it look like someone has tried to remove the rust in a number of places, but has been unsuccessful with their rough method

There is small plastic wallet that contains 2 metal FWB tools and 2 keys, but the keys do not lock this case

I did wonder if this case is for another pistol, and was not supplied with this gun

Could anyone give me a rough value for this gun?

And as a footnote, can they be converted from Co2 to precharged? If so, a rough cost? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

BTW - There was 1 manky grey pellet in one of the Eley Wasp tins; the other tin is empty.

Regarding cost, I’m not too sure, but given the condition and lack of recent use I’d guess it will need a service, which probably would be a fair proportion of the guns worth. Perhaps try at £150?

Regarding conversion to air, I’ve looked at it before and it’s not really feasible due to the components in co2 guns being designed for much lower working pressures than air.

I think these usually go for £200-300 in good nick. At which price, if you can deal with the hassle of bulk-fill, they are a bargain. About what the springers they replaced cost, but a generation ahead.

The cylinders have an official “shelf life” after which FWB say they should be tested and if needed replaced (10 years?). So I’d imagine those are officially out of date, and the corrosion would give pause for concern. I’m afraid I don’t know if replacements are still available.

It is much simpler to fill it with CO2. There should be an adapter with it that screws on to a fire extinguisher. Just screw the cylinder on to the extinguisher, push down the lever and its refilled. You can also remove the end of the cylinder to inspect the condition inside with a torch.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hi Paul,

I have owned and shot the full range of Feinwerkbau single shot CO2 match pistols and enjoyed owning every one of them.

The Model 2 was the first CO2 match pistol to be made by FWB and was the only one to have a loading lever - the others needed the loading hatch to be lifted to cock the pistol. It was also my favourite FWB CO2 pistol!

The steel CO2 cylinders were indeed given a 10 year life cycle at which point (unlike any PCP cylinder) they could be returned to FWB for inspection . When opened if there was no sign of corrosion the cylinder would be re-sealed and given another 10 year service life stamp!

If the cylinder was found to be corroded then it would be crushed and not returned. I am not sure if this service is still available but established UK FWB service engineers such as wonky donkey would probably be able to check the cylinder and re-seal it if it was seen to be corrosion free and safe to do so.

New replacement steel CO2 cylinders are still available although they no longer include the threaded end that allowed the optional disk shaped weights to be screwed onto the end of them (3 different weights available). I bought a new FWB steel CO2 cylinder from Buinger not so long ago and this came with a blank end-cap so I could no longer fit my cylinder weights to adjust the pistols balance. Fortunately the Model 2 balances really nicely and so this was not as much of a problem to me as it would be for anyone who preferred a "nose heavy" pistol.

The lower pressure of a CO2 pistol is often given as the reason why they are felt to be "kinder" to shoot than a PCP and this lower pressure (along with the use of steel) may also contribute to the possibility of non-corroded cylinders being able to have their service life extended.

I do not know of any commercially available conversion from CO2 to PCP for the FWB range of CO2 match pistols - and neither would I consider it an advantage either as it would destroy its "easy to shoot" feel - and that is the reason why many of us really like shooting these superbly engineered match pistols.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Valuation FWB Mod 2 Co2 pistol

i sold a good condition one with both cylinders & a homemade case for £200 about ten years ago. The most accurate pistol I'll ever shoot & I filled mine from a pub gas bottle with the correct adapter. You have to freeze the cylinders for an hour or two before filling. I'd guess someone did this to that one then stored it before it warmed up resulting in condensation & the inevitable rust.

I sold my wife's FWB Mod 2 last year, it was cased and came with 2 cylinders + tools and adaptor £250. Your gun looks to be in ok condition but the cylinder's are doubtful so I would estimate it's worth to be abut £100-150 provided the grips have not been messed with. If it was mine I would strip and sell the parts.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Thumbs up Thanks ....

Thank you to everyone that has responded on this thread.

I will discuss all the ideas with our club committee and then we will make a decision as to what we do with it, but i suspect it will probably end up being sold …

Cheers
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/