Thread: FWB Mod 2 Co2

FWB Mod 2 Co2

Any help very much appreciated folks

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....d-2-Co2-pistol

Thanks in advance
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Any help very much appreciated folks

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....d-2-Co2-pistol

Thanks in advance
    Hi Paul,

I have owned and shot the full range of Feinwerkbau single shot CO2 match pistols and enjoyed owning every one of them.

The Model 2 was the first CO2 match pistol to be made by FWB and was the only one to have a loading lever - the others needed the loading hatch to be lifted to cock the pistol. It was also my favourite FWB CO2 pistol!

The steel CO2 cylinders were indeed given a 10 year life cycle at which point (unlike any PCP cylinder) they could be returned to FWB for inspection . When opened if there was no sign of corrosion the cylinder would be re-sealed and given another 10 year service life stamp!

If the cylinder was found to be corroded then it would be crushed and not returned. I am not sure if this service is still available but established UK FWB service engineers such as wonky donkey could probably be able to check the cylinder and re-seal it if it was seen to be corrosion free and safe to do so.

New replacement steel CO2 cylinders are still available although they no longer include the threaded end that allowed the optional disk shaped weights to be screwed onto the end of them (3 different weights available). I bought a new FWB steel CO2 cylinder from Buinger not so long ago and this came with a blank end-cap so I could no longer fit my cylinder weights to adjust the pistols balance. Fortunately the Model 2 balances really nicely and so this was not as much of a problem to me as it would be for anyone who preferred a "nose heavy" pistol.

The lower pressure of a CO2 pistol is often given as the reason why they are felt to be "kinder" to shoot than a PCP and this lower pressure (along with the use of steel) may also contribute to the possibility of non-corroded cylinders being able to have their service life extended.

I do not know of any commercially available conversion from CO2 to PCP for the FWB range of CO2 match pistols - and neither would I consider it an advantage either as it would destroy its "easy to shoot" feel - and that is why many of us really like shooting these superbly engineered match pistols.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks very much for your reply Bob, both on this page and on the original thread in The Gentlemans Corner.

Your thoughts and experience are very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Paul.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay

I just noticed your comments regarding the case that you have for your Model 2.

These pistols never came in a fitted hard case, but like all FWB match airguns (until very recently from the P44 pistol and 800 rifle onwards) they came in a moulded polystyrene tray and lid and these were slid into a brown cardboard sleeve/box!

The white polystyrene gave good protection for the pistol in delivery from the factory but were not that good for day to day use as the polystyrene tended crumble into little balls and gradually eroded the moulded shape loosing its effectiveness. The cardboard sleeve was none too substantial either and rapidly followed its moulded trays in usefulness !

There was a really nice green coloured hard case that was sold by the (then) FWB importer (ASI- Anglo Spanish Industries!) for use with the Model 65 and 80 match pistols and these also fitted these early CO2 pistols too as the interior was a lined in a red baise that was not shaped, but the more usual route was to find a hard document case and cutting a block of foam to fit - some had diced foam that could be plucked-out making an easy fit with a lot less work!

Given the surface corrosion that you mention and the cost of replacing the two (expensive) cylinders I would think that £150 would be a good price to ask but be prepared to take less.

A good to mint example with two cylinders in good condition with its original documents and tools could fetch between £200 - £300 depending on whether or not you could find an interested buyer. CO2 match pistols are not collected by many and competition shooters prefer to shoot PCP so they are not in great demand and so they are a superb value for money purchase.
    Last edited by zooma; 03-01-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Bob,

I think this case was previously used for a FWB 80 before it was used for this gun.

If I'm right, this gun was bought new by our secretary at the time, and he sold it on the last owner, who in turn donated it to the club when he gave up shooting 10 years or so ago.

It looks like all the spares, tools and handbook are with the gun, and it's such as shame that the cylinders are in a poor state.

I reckon we will end up selling the gun, unless someone at the club wants to look after it, and manage the filling requirements. We'll see.....

It does seem a nice gun to shoot, although it feels a bit 'high' and 'narrow' compared to my LP10, but with a bit of fiddling and adjustment, quite capable of good results

Thanks for additional info again,

Cheers
    ATB, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Bob,

I think this case was previously used for a FWB 80 before it was used for this gun.

If I'm right, this gun was bought new by our secretary at the time, and he sold it on the last owner, who in turn donated it to the club when he gave up shooting 10 years or so ago.

It looks like all the spares, tools and handbook are with the gun, and it's such as shame that the cylinders are in a poor state.

I reckon we will end up selling the gun, unless someone at the club wants to look after it, and manage the filling requirements. We'll see.....

It does seem a nice gun to shoot, although it feels a bit 'high' and 'narrow' compared to my LP10, but with a bit of fiddling and adjustment, quite capable of good results

Thanks for additional info again,

Cheers
    The "high sightline" was a feature that FWB continued all the way up to the P44.

FWB pistols do feel a little "top heavy" if you are used to the lower sightline of most other types of match pistols (including the LP10) where the sights are much lower

The "high sightline" does appear to be having (yet another) mini-revival in popularity with the P44 coming back into fashion again - but it is doubtful that any manufacturer will ever make any new match pistols that do not feature a low sightline ever again.

Do give this Model 2 a try before parting with it - they are brilliant to shoot and the naturally "softer" feel of the lower pressure CO2 makes it an easy pistol to shoot and is described as "very forgiving" by most that have shot one!

Co2 kit

Hi if you look on egun under match airguns for Medi Tec co2 adapter system about £,85 with post
    I have ordered parts and used air rifles trough egun and if any probs arise they sort them quick
    Cheers Ian