Thread: QB57 Will it be collectable ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Used to see these advertised many years ago......often wondered how the zero might have changed between dismounting & replacing the barrel. Does it lock up so well that it holds poa/poi, or would it have suited barrel mounted sights better instead of on the receiver? I know many were 'scoped so was that with special mounts to account for removal/ replacement without the need to sight it in again. Sorry to ask but never tried one or knew of anyone who had one to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Used to see these advertised many years ago......often wondered how the zero might have changed between dismounting & replacing the barrel. Does it lock up so well that it holds poa/poi, or would it have suited barrel mounted sights better instead of on the receiver? I know many were 'scoped so was that with special mounts to account for removal/ replacement without the need to sight it in again. Sorry to ask but never tried one or knew of anyone who had one to ask.
    The barrel has a lug that locks into the receiver, and you hand tighten the whole thing together with a large diameter nut. I found it very, very accurate seeing that it was a steel sleeve barrel in a light alloy casting. They made a pistol version which I also bought that had the lug reversed, so I machined a slot in the receiver so I could fit either barrel. This was in South Africa so you can understand about the pistol version being available. I also fitted a Crosman skeleton stock and just used it as a lightweight bush rifle when I went on walkabout. The main mod I did to get it to function without jamming was to machine a series of shallow holes in the bolt surface to allow cartridge residue to escape from between the receiver and bolt surface. This often caused these rifles to jam. There are a lot of custom bits for these in the States.
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 05-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Interesting, thanks. Some .22 designs seem sensitive to fouling, I remember a Browning Match 150 that didn't like some of the greasier,wax lubed heads. We used to wipe them off before using them but most of the feed issues we ever had came through damage to magazine lips. Some other types were a bit of a pain as the cartridge had to make a leap of faith as it was stripped from the magazine to enter the chamber. Bit of a wonder how they made it as often as they did.