Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gem .25 Air Rifle selling wondered what its worth any ideas?

Gem .25 Air Rifle selling wondered what its worth any ideas?

I have an old .25 Gem Air rifle, was an old pals has anyone an idea of its value.
    Cocks and fires but very weak.
    I have it for sale on Freeads for 199 few pics on there I cannot seem to put on here?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle69 View Post
    I have an old .25 Gem Air rifle, was an old pals has anyone an idea of its value.
    Cocks and fires but very weak.
    I have it for sale on Freeads for 199 few pics on there I cannot seem to put on here?
    £199 is asking a lot! You'd probably be doing quite well to get half that.

Although the .25 Gems do seem to be more sought after than other calibres.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Saw a scruffy example at an auction sale a few years ago,from memory it made £50 under the hammer.

Cheshire Police might have dampened interest,advising the auctioneer that it would require a firearm certificate.

There were a few smirks as people read this in the catalogue.

Protek have a couple in .177.
    £94 for a worn one and £118 for a nice one. £199 sounds far too much.

Cheers,
    Matt.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi l sold one in .25 at the Melbourne airgun fair 2 years ago for £110 if that helps.

Cheers had no idea you can always go down .. harder to go up thanks for the advice

Depends on manufacturer and condition. I have known Marck .25s to sell in excess of £250. These huge beasts weigh in the region of 10 lbs and are sometimes fitted with Giffard style Swiss sights. I wouldn't sell my own example for less than £400!

John

I have two Jean Marck no 3's in .25-ish,(they're actually a slightly larger bore than .25)I bought them as a pair and paid around 200 pounds for them some years ago.

Like any other vintage air gun condition vs price is very important and the pair I got were in average condition for the type.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I have two Jean Marck no 3's in .25-ish,(they're actually a slightly larger bore than .25)I bought them as a pair and paid around 200 pounds for them some years ago.

Like any other vintage air gun condition vs price is very important and the pair I got were in average condition for the type.
    Yes, you're right. Mine has a Lanes Patent Bullet Expander screwed into the stock and comes in handy for enlarging the skirts of the .25 Marksman pellets the old Marck feeds on.

John

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Looks identical to my first rifle, a Gem .177 cal. (got it in an earlier swap when I was 8 as a non firer - my Dad fixed it so it worked)

Not sure about .25s although I would assume the calibre would make them more desirable somehow.

I loved my Gem but they were made in massive numbers and are quite prolific, I wish I still had mine but I swapped it for a Slazenger bow and arrows when a teenager. (still have the Bow/arrows)

Most of the Gems are fairly cheap unless they are in really good condition, again the .25 probably a premium but personally, I wouldn't have thought they were worth that much - but who knows and good luck!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Yes, you're right. Mine has a Lanes Patent Bullet Expander screwed into the stock and comes in handy for enlarging the skirts of the .25 Marksman pellets the old Marck feeds on.

John
    Yes,expanding the skirt of a .25 pellet is essential before seating one in the breech of these,you have a very handy tool.

They are a different animal to the normal Gems commonly seen. The .25"s are usually far larger and heavier. Like a Gem on steroids and great fun. I would have thought £125 or so in reasonable nick and a good shooter was not unreasonable.

Perhaps the police were right then, suggesting they're capable of exceeding 12ft/lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Perhaps the police were right then, suggesting they're capable of exceeding 12ft/lbs?

Indeed,they are the original dustbin driller!