Thread: Really in a dilemma, new or second hand, your thoughts most appreciated.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Look for a really nice mk1 hw80 , I would not buy the newer type hw springers.

Second hand, always
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Secondhand, from this BBS.

I can't imagine anything you can't fix on an HW springer; it's a bunch of relatively cheap, easily assembled, bits. Very worst case a new cylinder - still cheap.

I bought a wreck of an HW90 as a load of parts from e6ay for a ton a few years back.. cosmetics aside, it took a days work and about £10 of parts to get is shooting loverley.

Problem now I can't sell it, 'cos it looks so tatty but shoots so well, I could never replace it with anything better for the money I'd get for it

Maybe another Richard H cerakote job...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Do they sell new guns?

ATB
    Ian (Second hand rose. )
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Second hand for me, most of my guns I bought used.Some of the best and most interesting guns are no longer made, it's just a bit of a problem tracking down the nice ones.
    Good luck with your dilemma .
    Les..

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I have had issues with new guns AND SH guns!
    Master Debater

The thing is, you will more than likely want to "open" the HW to do some "fine tuning", and in so doing will invalidate any insurance that would be afforded by purchasing a new gun.
    Its my view that its better to save a few pounds, which you can spend on some tuning sundries. as others have said, there is practically nothing that cant be fixed, but having said that you do need to be wise and not buy a complete basket case.
    By the way nice little TX for sale in the sales section
    As a foot note if you buy at RFD they should cover major stuff for 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Look for a really nice mk1 hw80 , I would not buy the newer type hw springers.
    Agreed ! the NEW ONES ARE NOTHING LIKE THE EARLIER MADE ONES ,THEY ARE RUBBISH,IF NEW GO FOR AN aa ,THEY ARE FAR BETTER.
    oops caps sorry.

Second hand every time

As above. Every gun I have bought new I have lost a bomb on. Second hand and you might just get your money back. Not ever going to sell? Where have I heard that before. A lot of used airguns have been improved over new.

Use common sense when buying and expect to walk away from a few.
    Last edited by Peter Dunkley; 04-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!