Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really in a dilemma, new or second hand, your thoughts most appreciated.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Really in a dilemma, new or second hand, your thoughts most appreciated.

Decided to buy a new springer toward the end of the month. I had decided on an HW95 with a silencer in .177. The issue I have is that I see other stuff for sale within my budget (£350.00 ish) second hand that really appeals. I suppose at the end of the day what's putting me off is the thought that the second hand rifle might not shoot right or have other issues. What are your thoughts guys, new or second-hand?, any opinions would be most welcome as I am in a right dilemma with this one for some reason.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Second Hand

Go Second Hand. A friend of mine picked up a mint tuned HW95 KS and SFS tuned for £250. Myself a lovely mk1 95 for £170. Mach 1.5

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Get it from a member you trust off here and you won't go far wrong

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Secondhand for me too. Even if there was an issue springers are way easier to work on yourself than pcps. There are some really good bargains to be had if you look around as mach 1.5 rightly says. If you are looking at a hw they are pretty bomb proof there isnt much to go wrong with them that cant be fixed easily.

Chris

Look for a really nice mk1 hw80 , I would not buy the newer type hw springers.

Second hand, always
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Secondhand for me too. Even if there was an issue springers are way easier to work on yourself than pcps. There are some really good bargains to be had if you look around as mach 1.5 rightly says. If you are looking at a hw they are pretty bomb proof there isnt much to go wrong with them that cant be fixed easily.

Chris
    As Chris says, all of my collection is secondhand and not had any major problems with any of them (apart from having to replace the usual problematic buffer washers in some of the BSA's) so if my old BSA's are OK then I'm sure a HW will be fine (unless the seller hasn't been honest in his sales thread and it's not been looked after properly).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Secondhand, from this BBS.

I can't imagine anything you can't fix on an HW springer; it's a bunch of relatively cheap, easily assembled, bits. Very worst case a new cylinder - still cheap.

I bought a wreck of an HW90 as a load of parts from e6ay for a ton a few years back.. cosmetics aside, it took a days work and about £10 of parts to get is shooting loverley.

Problem now I can't sell it, 'cos it looks so tatty but shoots so well, I could never replace it with anything better for the money I'd get for it

Maybe another Richard H cerakote job...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Do they sell new guns?

ATB
    Ian (Second hand rose. )
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Look for a really nice mk1 hw80 , I would not buy the newer type hw springers.
    Agreed ! the NEW ONES ARE NOTHING LIKE THE EARLIER MADE ONES ,THEY ARE RUBBISH,IF NEW GO FOR AN aa ,THEY ARE FAR BETTER.
    oops caps sorry.

Second hand every time

As above. Every gun I have bought new I have lost a bomb on. Second hand and you might just get your money back. Not ever going to sell? Where have I heard that before. A lot of used airguns have been improved over new.

Use common sense when buying and expect to walk away from a few.
    Last edited by Peter Dunkley; 04-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Second hand for me, most of my guns I bought used.Some of the best and most interesting guns are no longer made, it's just a bit of a problem tracking down the nice ones.
    Good luck with your dilemma .
    Les..

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I have had issues with new guns AND SH guns!
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Decided to buy a new springer toward the end of the month. I had decided on an HW95 with a silencer in .177. The issue I have is that I see other stuff for sale within my budget (£350.00 ish) second hand that really appeals. I suppose at the end of the day what's putting me off is the thought that the second hand rifle might not shoot right or have other issues. What are your thoughts guys, new or second-hand?, any opinions would be most welcome as I am in a right dilemma with this one for some reason.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    2nd hand if the price is realistic - i.e. 2/3rds or a tad more of new - many are wildly optimistic imo -
    When I read 'tuned' I usually wonder how much it will cost to fix it / do it properly, though this is not always the case, of course -

I've had s/h rifles off here that are great, and others not. Below are some of the faults (just on HW's), that I've had to fix out of my own pocket, some from well regarded members, some from well known members, some from folk who came to dump their rifles
    'Mint' 77k - bent cocking lever and tuning kit with spring with too big a spring in (in every way) - so OTT and scratching inside of piston too
    Bent barrels on break barrels
    Scored cylinder (95)
    Wrong piston (95 piston in a mk 1 85)
    I once bought a 'very good' hw35 that was a rusty pile of crap (eventually got a refund)

Generally since money got 'tight' I have bought new as I saw more 'problem' rifles than before appear on here
    Not much saving, but still some and the convenience of door to door if buying from Germany (while you still can) ?

http://www.versandhaus-schneider.de/...78_942_944_950
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Oh yeh, and a factory piston fault on an old MK1 97 ....
    Will have been unknown to seller, I'd think -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34