Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really in a dilemma, new or second hand, your thoughts most appreciated.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Sounds like secondhand just became an even better option, as PCPShooter has taken all the duffers off the market
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The thing is, you will more than likely want to "open" the HW to do some "fine tuning", and in so doing will invalidate any insurance that would be afforded by purchasing a new gun.
    Its my view that its better to save a few pounds, which you can spend on some tuning sundries. as others have said, there is practically nothing that cant be fixed, but having said that you do need to be wise and not buy a complete basket case.
    By the way nice little TX for sale in the sales section
    As a foot note if you buy at RFD they should cover major stuff for 3 months.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    The thing is, you will more than likely want to "open" the HW to do some "fine tuning", and in so doing will invalidate any insurance that would be afforded by purchasing a new gun.
    Its my view that its better to save a few pounds, which you can spend on some tuning sundries. as others have said, there is practically nothing that cant be fixed, but having said that you do need to be wise and not buy a complete basket case.
    By the way nice little TX for sale in the sales section
    You your TX and your 80 are part of the problem, I mean that in the nicest way my friend.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Not sue if this helps but the 80 has gone to a new home

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Hull Cartridge told me there warranty is transferred to subsequent owners if still in warranty period.
    Master Debater

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    New!

No, wait! That would be dumb.

Used!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

The only advantage with new is the warranty, but if the first thing you do is open it up & fiddle then you void the warranty anyway.

I'd always buy better quality used, over poor quality new.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The only advantage with new is the warranty, but if the first thing you do is open it up & fiddle then you void the warranty anyway.

I'd always buy better quality used, over poor quality new.
    Good advice, You will struggle to get Good quality new these days,

Generally I would say secondhand but, as always, buyer beware operates. I guess it can also depend on how much of a rush you are in as it may well be quicker to buy new. I have bought s/h and rarely had problems and my advice is to buy f2f so that you can look and see and most likely shoot said rifle. Having said that I have never refused to buy at a f2f nor found serious issues when not f2f. An issue is that you cannot really delve inside a springer at a sale, even f2f so the 'feel' of the rifle is paramount. If the rifle has a claim of tuning, ask what has been done, how long the owner has owned it etc. Talk costs nothing. Seriously mangled screw/bolt heads may indicate issues.
    I now hesitate to suggest this because I guess over 99.9% of sellers on here are always up front with information but it may help. For one rifle I bought s/h but maybe only just over a year old without meeting the seller or asking a lot of questions, the rifle was very good and I was really pleased. But there was a niggle in my mind that it was somehow not quite right as the power dropped significantly over about a month. It turned out to be a mainspring problem and a new spring sorted the problem. A bit of searching found that the seller had noticed the issue and in fact reported on it on here as well as indicating the rifle had gone back under warranty for repair. Not a big issue and no cause for alarm but it did make me wary of rifles that might be reported on here or other fora as having problems and then maybe a month or so later appearing for sale. So, for my own peace of mind I now do a quick scan of a seller's posts just to see. I have not found an issue ever since so, as I say, buying a rifle with a possible known fault is unlikely. And, of course, if you are not averse to delving inside, most issues particularly with HW or AA rifles are easily sorted.

Cheers, Phil

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Normally, I would have suggested scondhand and this was was the route I went down last year when looking for a nice HW98...but people were so unrealistic on their prices or wanted to sell a package (usually including a scope I didn't want - "it'll sell easy mate"...well, if it's that easy you sell it!!) that in the end I bought new locally - even better when they gave me about 12% off for being a member of a local shooting club and a pack of free pellets as well..
    It only cost me £20 more...lovely jubbly all shiny and new, warrantied and saved any hassle with travelling.
    So don't discount new ones...

If you are buying a 2nd hand car you would test drive it
    If your buying a rifle... you can shoot it before you decide to pay or not.
    2nd hand gives you more bang for your buck
    Warranty may be transferrable but not typical.
    You can always agree with the original owner that they will deal with any warranty issues in their name if that happens to be the case.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Make sure you get plenty of photo's if buying used.

I purchased a Weley Stingray a few months ago, that was clearly not as described. The seller took it back with no problems but clear, close up photo's would have saved me a load of hassle.

To be honest this has put me off anything but face to face.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Hello well most of my stuff has been second hand and may be I have been lucky, I havn't had a problem. 4 new rifles and 2 have been the worst bags of sh1t I have ever seen, 1 was so bad as to be unusable.
    So I would say second hand for me.
    All the best and good luck.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Great replies guys, thanks very much to all who contributed, will keep my eyes peeled and see if anything on the BBS jumps out.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Rifle

Go second hand there are some good rifles out there.